Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:25 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,732,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren99 View Post
Brian,
This is an outstanding reply. I like your idea of shipping the car instead of driving it. One of my friends mentioned this to me as well. I have never heard of car shipping companies. Do you have any recommendations that I can call for a quote? I can get a one way plane ticket no problem. Once there, someone can pick me up. Then my car arrives without all that extra mileage on it. Love this idea!

I have been selling lots of things on craigslist and ebay and will take some furniture with me and the rest I will either sell, give to friends, or donate. I am getting a PODS quote tomorrow and then an ABF U-Pack door to door quote as well. I will post the results when I get them so others might benefit from the info.

I am happy to know that Ft Myers is a nice area.
One word of advice regarding Ft Myers....either have a job lined up or a steady income stream (retirement, trust fund, etc). Jobs aren't plentiful there. That's why I don't live there. Although I'm debating buying a condo for vacation use.

What kind of car do you have?

Look into uship.com it works like a reverse auction. You tell them what you want to ship and the shippers vid against each other driving the price down.

There are a lot of car hauling companies. I'm not sure of any companies in your area. I suggest calling a few local used car dealers. They typically buy cars at auction and use those services to deliver cars. They may have a recommendation for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 05:00 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,732,138 times
Best of luck to you. Have you considered renting a trailer or tow dolly? Since you're going to be driving a truck anyway, it wouldn't take much more effort to tow your car behind

Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 PM

17 posts, read 35,184 times
Default That's only for people that move because of a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Since you are moving more than 50 miles, you can deduct the moving expenses on your taxes. Of course, save all receipts for boxes, padding, movers, etc.
That's only for people that have to move because of their job and self-employed people who believe they can do better in the new city. This would not apply to first time workers and retirees and such. Get an income tax instruction book.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,621,575 times
As a retired master mover I would recommend selling all your old stuff and buying new or in some cases better used items from craigslist. Only if your company pays 100% should you move everything including cars.

Packing and unpacking by a professional moving company can cost as much as the move itself. You get charged for the box plus the packing.

Most companies will ask you to buy additional insurance, if not you are only insured for 60 cents per pound. This in most cases in enough.

Understand that the shiny big moving truck parked in front of your house does not belong to the moving company, it belongs to the driver. All major moving companies have owner/operators contracted with them. It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure timely, courteous, professional and safe move of your possessions.

The driver pays for all expenses associated with your move. His insurance, taxes, fuel, labor charges at residence and destination and any claim if damage should occur. He will charge you extra if you move to an area that is impossible to reach with an 18-wheeler and a shuttle vehicle must be used. If you live upstairs in an apartment or have a large piano.

Your move may be expensive, however the owner/operator only receives a percentage after, the company (Allied, N. American, United) get their share. Next, the booking agent and destination agent get a large percentage; the sales person gets a percentage. Out of the remainder, the driver who incurs all the expenses gets his percentage of an already highly discounted move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues