Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 05:50 AM

6 posts, read 11,272 times

Advertisements

Will be moving to San Diego California from Switzerland in a few months. Would appreciate any advice on how to do it from some people with similiar experience. For example - how did you go about finding a good school, good neighborhood? Is it cheaper/easier to ship all our furniture or sell it and buy new (current furniture is mostly IKEA stuff). Can you make a recommendation for a mover? Is it a good idea to plan on renting a furnished apt. short term while looking for something more permanent? I know many people do this sort of thing with the help of their employer but we will be doing it solo so any advice would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 AM

14 posts, read 44,955 times
Hi Yodelers,

My husband and I have moved solo from Switzerland to the US.

As far as furniture, I would try to sell it. I did some research on the cost to ship our existing furniture (also all IKEA) versus buying new and it was a wash. We decided to sell everything, and it made it so much easier to arrange the move.

My husband is Swiss and so he orchestrated the entire move - we had a crate built by a company that he dealt with on a regular basis and one of his cousins used to work for a shipping company. However, our belongings got stuck in US customs and we ended up paying quite a bit to get everything out (I consider $1500 for personal belongings to be expensive). To avoid dealing with any hassles yourself, I would recommend a door-to-door mover - I can find out some companies if you'd like.

We relocated to the US for work, so I can't give you any advice on apartments, schools, etc., as we had a set destination.

Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Erica

Old 10-11-2008, 11:23 AM

179 posts, read 556,795 times
Hi, we've done it 2x so far between Europe/US and are doing the move back for good just now.
As for the moving itself: Take what is precious memory to you for one. Two take your expensive furniture & electronics. Your standard moving box is 40 cm (so ~15inch) if you break moving cost (they're based of your cubic feet & weight) down to the size o one of the boxes you'd want to have a value of about $500 in 1 box to make it worthwhile the shipment.
If I can be of any help as far as the move itself, please feel free to send direct msg.
Most European Apts are empty and you come across furnished ones rather rarely. However if you only plan to stay here 2-3 yrs there's TONS furniture stores here that have neat & practical stuff for little money, these furniture wouldn't last you no 15-20 yrs but would def do it for few yrs for you. If you have IKEA stuff atm, I'd suggest to leave it back home, either store it if you can for free somewhere or sell it used. I'd heavily suggest to NOT move with it (for the cost and for its sturdiness while moving).
Which part of Switzerland or City are you looking to life at / work at?
I'd def suggest to you, stay in a Hotel for 1-2 weeks and do a LOT driving around after work to see what YOU like, which area suits YOU best.

Let me know if I can help - coming overseas can be scary to some ppl, but you really don't need to be, if you're preparing it well.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:13 AM

Thank you. My husband too is Swiss and having a bit of a hard time with the idea of moving to the states as he is very happy here, is worried about having a more stressful lifestyle, not finding schools that are as good, unsafe neighborhoods, etc. I am worried about all that too but am very homesick and ready to go back after 10 years. (and the US economic crisis isn't helping matters any!) Any words of wisdom for us? How have your lives changed - are you happy in the US - where are you? Thanks.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:22 AM

Thank you Angel079.
(Not sure if i am DMing you or not and I think I just lost my last attempt at a message to you - sorry if this is a repeat) "Any other advice as to how to "prepare it well". You must be experts by now. Your words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:59 AM

14 posts, read 44,955 times
Yodelers,

I sent you a DM with some details......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues