Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:05 AM

20 posts, read 96,326 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience with this issue? I am currently in training and I know that when I finish my employer is going to move me out of the state that I am currently in, I own some guns but don't want to send them with the movers. Any insight on how I can do this so I know that it is safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 07:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
When I moved, I was like you...no guns to the movers. So I took out the clips (no ammo, either) and put them in the trunk in their respective cases.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:22 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I would think if you moved it in your private vehicle there would be no problem as long as the guns, ammio and clips were in seperate boxes. We wern't checked at any place in our vehicle during our 3.000 mile move!

Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 AM

I just don't feel too comfortable locking them up and shipping them with the shipper, you never know who is working for them, also, I am going to ship my car to my new post so I don't think that will be too safe either...do you all know if I can ship it thru an FFL dealer?

Old 10-25-2008, 07:36 AM

112 posts, read 760,072 times
I'm assuming you're not talking about concealed carry; as that's a whole different deal

Don't let the movers handle them! Ever! Then, IMO, it's best to check the state laws for each of the states you'll be traveling though. Call them directly. Explain that you are moving to ______ and will be traveling through their state with firearms and wanted to know what you are required to do. Most states (NOT ALL) have "peaceable journey" laws so as long as the firearms and ammo are locked up in separate containers and are not readily accessible to you (ie trunk), you should be fine. But it's best to double check instead of finding yourself in jail for something that could have been easily avoided.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:36 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Don't forget though that US Code TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A which is the Federal law regulating interstate transport of firearms states:
Quote:
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/1...6---A000-.html
http://www.altlaw.org/v1/codes/us/588741 (broken link)
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/caseco...tion_926a.html
That is the federal law that supersedes local laws governing this question.

If you are flying to your destination it would probably be best to ship them from one FFL dealer to another. Just be ready to have ID on hand when you pick them up as well as filling out all the paperwork just like you are buying them again.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 AM

Thanks Bydand, I will look into using the FFL. Now I just hope I get moved to a gun friendly state.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
Hey all. When I used to travel to hunt in other states and I had to fly. I Fed-Ex'd my guns. I sent them to the other Fed Ex office in the town where I was hunting. I put it in my name and sent them to me at the other end with instructions to hold it there. I had good I.D. and picked them up in person. Did this for many years and had no problem. I haven't did this for maybe 5 years but did it up till then. Make sure they are unloaded and I also did this with pistols too.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Hey all. When I used to travel to hunt in other states and I had to fly. I Fed-Ex'd my guns. I sent them to the other Fed Ex office in the town where I was hunting. I put it in my name and sent them to me at the other end with instructions to hold it there. I had good I.D. and picked them up in person. Did this for many years and had no problem. I haven't did this for maybe 5 years but did it up till then. Make sure they are unloaded and I also did this with pistols too.

When you do this, do you take the bolt and carry that with you, or do you just send it bolt and all thru Fed-Ex...if I were to use Fed-Ex, I will probably carry the bolt and or barrels on me, and still use a combination of trigger and cable locks, since that will stop the weapon from functioning. I think best bet is still to use an FFL as Bydand suggested.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:58 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
I took the bolt out if applicable, clip or cylindar if pistol, shotguns just sent empty.I rarely dissabled a weapon. Just make sure they are in locked cases. I used aluminum shipping cases just for shipping firearms. As I said I did this for over 30 years. NEVER a problem. And believe me I had many people there when and if I opened the boxes in the facility. It is best to NOT do that though. As you can maybe figure out.
Read the shipping laws and state laws where your shipping a firearm. They may not be legal where you are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues