Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 11:31 PM

6 posts, read 23,285 times

Advertisements

I am moving from the west coast of Canada(Vancouver) to Macon Georgia in January driving a 26 ft Penske truck. I am concerned about which route to take during winter. Mapquest says to go through Montana, Wyoming ect... If I go straight down I-5 from Seattle to San Fran I can go a more southernly route but it will take longer. Any suggestions or tips??
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Hi, phaedra. In January, you will be dealing with not just snow, blizzards and whiteouts in which you and the other drivers become functionally blind, but also ice, packed snow and ice, lots of wind including crosswinds that can push you off the road, narrow mountain roads, closed roads due to avalanche danger, potential isolation and starvation if the slightest mechanical or medical thing goes wrong, frequent long absence of cell phone coverage..... Are you SURE you want to do this in January? For your safety, if I were in your shoes I would ship my stuff and fly to my destination...

A recent thread in the WA forum might be helpful in at least advising you about what to avoid. Then the same question was posed by the poster in the Montana forum. Both those states, of course, deal with serious and dangerous mountains and passes -- and the threads ask about November, not January. But they can offer you some information.

I wish you safety.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...mountains.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/monta...na-winter.html

Old 11-03-2008, 12:49 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,368 times
Yes, I've made the trip a few times from Seattle to Georgia and used mapquest primarily and cut directly through the US of A...not using I-5 at all, it's going directly south which is surely wasting time and more important fuel prices and hotels....

Basically I took I-90 from Seattle east toward Idaho...385 miles, then I-29 South toward Iowa..., I-70 to Illinois...I-64 to Kentucky, I-57 to Memphis,
then I-24 to Tennessee to Georgia...I hit a blizzard on I-70 and the freeway was shutdown for 4 days, lived in a hotel with my wife...that stunk..but mother nature has control....semi trucks were everywhere, this was in February timeframe....

Estimated Time: 40 hours 49 minutes Estimated Distance: 2730.82 miles

Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 PM

6 posts, read 23,285 times
Hey all,
We made it. It was a wonderful drive. We made it in 6 days with no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues