U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,593,530 times

Advertisements

I sold my home in Sept. and put everything into a storage unit. I'm really worried that I won't get an accurate estimate because the unit is pretty full. It's a 10' X 20' unit. There is not a lot of furniture there, but a number of boxes including book boxes. I'm getting three estimates tomorrow while I'm in town, and will try to make a passage so they can see better, but I just don't know how successful I will be. Have any of you ever got estimates under similar circumstances?

I got a call back from Three Men and a Truck today and they quoted me $7500.00 without even looking at anything. I was shocked at this price as it was tons more than I expected after seeing posts here from others who say they paid much less for much longer moves and from much larger homes. I'm moving from Traverse City Michigan to Greenville South Carolina. That's not even 1,000 miles! I told them that there was no point in continuing the conversation. I hope that I don't find that to be a average price, or I will have to dip into my 'buy a new house' fund!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 10:11 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,826,239 times
I worked in the moving and storage industry for 18 years so I can give you some headway from my perspective.

First off, a person would also need to know the third dimension of the storage unit. From there, one can get a reasonable estimate of the weight. If this unit is crammed from top to bottom, one end to the other and there's a lot of boxes, it's entirely possible for the amount to be $7500.

Be forewarned...no moving company will give you a guaranteed price since they can't get a real view of what's there. Chances are the company who estimated was trying to cover their butts. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,593,530 times
Thanks Bob! Here is the update:

I met at the locker with all three reps Friday. It was interesting to say the least. The first rep spent over an hour with me going over things and his final quote, a binding quote was $3000. give or take a few bucks.

The second guy I really don't think wanted my business all that much. He spent a whole 15 minutes didn't ask many questions and wasn't very informative and of the three, he was the only one to give me his business card only, not a packet with a lot of information.

The third woman was very nice and also spent about an hour with me. Her quote (non-binding) was around $2700.00

I'm pretty sure I am going with the first company as that guy actually worked in the field moving stuff for many years before becoming a rep. and I think that gives him a leg up as far as being able to tell how much was in there.

I'll call the BBB about the first and third company however before I make my final decision.

Oh, and the first is the only one to give me references.

Bob, are you saying that even a binding quote is not really binding? I haven't researched the subject yet, it's on my to do list. I was told that I might actually end up paying less and the first guy used 5500 lbs to be on the safe side. It is not packed floor to ceiling and he even spoke to that.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,255 times
Default Better Consult a Storage Services

Storage Company will not just decide immediately, they will going to look for it first and then afterward the decision will be made if how much you'll going to paid. Have you tried ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 06-22-2011 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: no ads allowed

Old 06-22-2011, 04:27 PM

3,918 posts, read 10,430,257 times
We got 3 estimates when we moved and took the highest because they were the most professional. It ended well and we even hired them several years later. The estimate is more than just price but a chance to get to know the business and evaluate their procedures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues