Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:12 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,317,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalady View Post
My family and I are going to relocate to Texas within the next 18 months.
What we are struggling with is whether one of us should get a job in Texas before actually moving there. Neither one of us have a college degree. I have a medical assistants certificate. Also, to buy or rent first?? I would like to hear different views and opinions. DH and I see this totally opposite.
By "medical assistants certificate", I assume you have taken the certification exam from either AAMA or ABHES. If your medical assistant's certificate is current and you have experience, you might be able to find a position in a healthcare provider's office setting or perhaps at one of the medical centers in the Fort Worth area. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 05:23 PM

229 posts, read 231,402 times
with kids in school, you have time to go check things out as they need to finish the school year where they are. Hop on the texas thread and ask some questions. Get the name of the popular paper in the area of texas you wish to be in then you can read it online or have it delivered. You can learn much about an area from the papers. Best of Luck

Old 02-28-2007, 01:10 AM

131 posts, read 509,028 times
Thanks all. I am constantly on the Texas thread and read their local papers online.
No, I am not a Certified or Registered Medical assistant. But, I do have a medical assistant diploma.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,317,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalady View Post
Thanks all. I am constantly on the Texas thread and read their local papers online.
No, I am not a Certified or Registered Medical assistant. But, I do have a medical assistant diploma.
Take the exam. It probably will help in your job search - employers like to see "certified".

Old 02-28-2007, 10:55 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,081,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I am struggling with this question too, I want to move out of Texas to Tennessee or North Carolina. I think getting the job first is better. Where are you looking in Texas? A lot depends on the town and the area of town you want to live in.
well from what i've been told as i've been on the TN forum looking for places to live, I'm told to find a job before you move. and oh yes, if the job applicant is you vs. a TN resident, the TN resident will get it first.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:05 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,886,293 times
I agree most places will hire locally first, but if you have the right qualifications and a definite date for relocation, most places will still consider for the position.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:45 PM

585 posts, read 2,218,581 times
My wife and I are planning to move from Colorado to upstate NY to be closer to her family. I'm running into a bit of a wall with the employment thing. There seems to be plenty of jobs I'm qualified for but I get few responses. The responses I've had always ask what my plans in regards to moving. I tell them that'll I'll need a few weeks to get my affairs in order (we own a house that we've had on the market for a couple of months) and the conversation seems to go a little cold. However, I do point out that I'd be willing to work sooner for the RIGHT job. I doubt with my job level anyone would wanna flip the bill for relocation and these employers seem to need someone yesterday. They don't wanna wait for someone and would probably prefer to hire someone local, especially since the region is notorious for having a bad economy.

Since we have family in upstate, we decided just to move when the house sells and then squat with them while we look for work. We have no kids though and they have plenty of room, we are lucky in that regard.

It's funny because we might actually take a much larger financial hit if I get a job and have to move down there before the house sells. Paying rent in NY and a mortgage in Colo? Yikes.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,583 times
I am in Las Vegas trying to get a job in Charlotte, NC. I could live 4 hours away in Georgia with my sister until I get a job. I still have my NC telephone number from 3 years ago. I am thinking of renting one of those mailbox suite addresses and let them think I am there. Before I came to Las Vegas from NC I sent resumes and no one responded. Then about 3 weeks later I sent emails saying I am here in Las Vegas. I started getting calls and set up 3 interviews for the next week. I packed my car and arrived 2 days before my first interview and the rest is history. My employer closed their Las Vegas office in Oct. I have severance and unemployment. Unlike everyone else I am single. The economy gives me cause for concern.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:04 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,098,787 times
Get a job first. I can not stress this enough. I relocated but my husband got his job first. We always put on his cover letters that he was seeking to relocate at his own expense (this is important). We had a small fund set aside for interview money. So if he got a call about a job, he could drive or fly asap. I stayed behind after he got the job and followed 3 months later with my son.

Relocation is scary and there are no promises it will work out but one has to try their best to be prepared. In this economy, I think its extremely risky to move someplace new with no job. Sometimes you have to move where the jobs are and that may not be your ideal location.

I have 2 friends that moved without jobs. Both friends ended up with disaster situations. My one friend and his wife are both educated. Both have master's degrees. Both had great jobs in AZ but they wanted a change. They missed the change of seasons, etc. They moved without jobs lined up. They had money saved but after 6 months, they blew through their savings. At the end they were selling off their possessions to make rent. They finally got in such dire straits they asked family for help. Family members wired money so they could move back to their home state. The last I heard they are living with family and still trying to find jobs in the area they grew up. They regret ever leaving AZ.

My other friend moved from Vegas to TN. She also had a stable job but was tired of sin city. She always worked and again thought she could get a job anywhere. She lived off her savings for 9 months. Finally got a job and her car broke down. She had to call off and since she was new to the job, the company let her go. She ended up asking family for money to get back to her hometown as well. She ended up leaving almost everything she owns behind. Whatever she could fit in her car, she took.

There is a huge misconception out there that people think because they are willing to work, they will get a job. Like all those unemployed people out there do not want to work or something. Or people that say ya I moved 15 years ago without a job. Well the economy is a lot different 15 years ago! Be smart, get a job first.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,031,449 times
While I agree with fallingwater, for every bad story, there are some good ones. We moved to this area without jobs and yes, things were better 3 years ago. My husband got a job with in 2 months that many of the locals would give their eye teeth for...

Meanwhile, I have had trouble living here and NOT finding work. We are considering moving to a build up area because living here is not 'what we want' anymore. This coupled with my lack of being able to get even PART TIME work has made us seriously consider moving.

The same problems crop up, as others have....how long do you wait to get called by someone because you are second choice being out of state?! I will not spend another winter here. It's risky to just move (never mind expensive and where will you rent if you don't have a job?) but I tell my husband we have to realize there is a big world out there and I am not spending these years wasting time here anymore.

There comes a time when you cannot stay if you cannot make a go of it. I believe for us this is the time to go. Yes, we are still trying to find jobs up till the time we will just 'bug out' and leave.

I believe something good will happen...you have to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues