Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 AM

860 posts, read 2,717,068 times

Advertisements

After years of pondering and scheming, its finally happening. I am returning to the great West in which I lived as a child. We are leaving the end of May with our mini-van, two of our 4 children(5 and 8) and a U-Haul trailer with enough for our apartment in Gilbert AZ.

My husband has taken 1 week off his new job in Az to come home , pack our U-Haul and drive West. The older 2 girls are staying w/ grandparents to finish the school year, and flying out South Bend to Mesa on Allegiant. $89 one way- non-stop-awesome!

I have gone to online trip planning sites for a rout, and its pretty much along the old Route 66 through Springfield IL, Missouri, Kansas, TX, NM and finally AZ- mostly I 40. My children are very excited about looking for old landmarks, etc.

My question is, does anyone know a good itinerary for this trip. Not sure if its a 3 or 4 day trip w/ kids. We are thinking about 8-10 hour days and Best Western at night. We want to make a few stops short but not waste alot of time. If anyone has made a similar trip and has favorite/best towns to stop or overnight in-that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
This will be a big help (I have four kids under 11). Go go the McDonalds website and find their travel planner. You can find all the McDonlads on the route that have playland/playplaces. Print this out and have it and your GPS handy when the kids get cranky, whiney, squirmy and need a de-energizing break.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:24 PM

860 posts, read 2,717,068 times
Yeah, that will be helpful. I can barely eat their food, but the play areas are great.

I am not sure where the best cities to overnight are. Do ya just break the map into thirds? I want to reserve our Best Westerns, and I want to stay in nicer areas. Anyone done this trip with kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues