Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 PM

131 posts, read 510,128 times

Advertisements

My family and I are going to relocate to Texas within the next 18 months.
What we are struggling with is whether one of us should get a job in Texas before actually moving there. Neither one of us have a college degree. I have a medical assistants certificate. Also, to buy or rent first?? I would like to hear different views and opinions. DH and I see this totally opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 09:28 PM

229 posts, read 232,412 times
Hmmm.... if you do not get jobs first you better have a big nest egg. Are there kids involved ??

Old 02-24-2007, 09:34 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
Find a job first, or a VERY good contact. Good luck.

Paula

Old 02-24-2007, 09:40 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalady View Post
My family and I are going to relocate to Texas within the next 18 months.
What we are struggling with is whether one of us should get a job in Texas before actually moving there. Neither one of us have a college degree. I have a medical assistants certificate. Also, to buy or rent first?? I would like to hear different views and opinions. DH and I see this totally opposite.
I am struggling with this question too, I want to move out of Texas to Tennessee or North Carolina. I think getting the job first is better. Where are you looking in Texas? A lot depends on the town and the area of town you want to live in.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:13 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
We moved to Texas from California 28 years ago without a job for my husband. I didn't work; I was a stay-at-home mom with a 5 year and 2 year old.

We didn't have much money, but one really can always, well almost always, find a job. It took him about one week, and he was off to work again.

We bought a home right off the bat before moving here. We sold out home in CA and he then went out to Texas house-hunting. We discussed over the phone several homes from which to choose, so I was able to put my two-cents in a bit. I'm easy to please and he did a wonderful job finding us a lovely place.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:32 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
My advice would be to save up as much money as possible for a nest egg before the move (perhaps get a second part-time job), feasibly enough to support several months of not working. All the while, TRY to find work in Texas by establishing contacts and sending out resumes and the like. While it's not likely to be met with success due to employers' not often giving second glances to candidates who are not currently in the area, it can't hurt to at least try. When the time comes, move. Once in Texas, give yourself a few weeks of looking for a job in the fields you're experienced in, or a job that pays what you are accustomed to, but if you don't find it within that short period of time, find a job, ANY job just to slow the drain on the nest egg. There's always work at restaurants and in retail and construction and things of the like. It's certainly not the most glamorous of work, but I'm generally of the opinion that one should minimize the time in which no income is coming in as much as possible. Then while working this job to help with the bills, you can continue the job search for the job that you would rather be doing.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:03 AM

131 posts, read 510,128 times
Yeah:0) Thanks for all the help. Yes, there are kids involved. We have three bouncing boys ages 10yo,3yo and a 2yo. My choice would be to head to Texas myself and set up the homefront, get a job etc... then move the rest of the family out there. I have more work experience than my husband. He was a stay at home dad for the last 8years, mainly due to a disability. I have been able to afford to stay home with the kids this past year. Very nice. So, our tables are turning...
But, I think I have a better chance of landing a job quicker since I have more work history. But, DH is not excited to have me on the other side of the country while he,once again, stays home with the kids.

BTW, we are looking into houston- sugar land area or Fort worth.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:17 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
We (wife and I) have read a couple of previous Threads (weeks ago) asking the same question.
We will reply to this the same as we did the others:
When we moved here to Colorado from Calif (southern) in 2001, neither of us had a job lined up or a place to live. However, we did have "some" extra money (not a lot, but enough) AND with my wife having three Degrees in Business/Accounting, she had no trouble at all getting a descent paying job . She got a job within one month of arriving here. It did take me longer to find a job (about 1 year). Also, we stayed a couple of weeks at a Holiday Inn before finding a one bedroom apartment to rent.
It can/is extremely hard to look/get a job in one State while living in another, unless the job is a high ranking one with a company, such as: CEO, Vice President, President, CFO. When the company I work for started looking for a new CFO and CEO, the company wound up hiring two people that lived out of Colorado and had to move here.
One thing to really remember, it can/does take money/time to look for a job in another State . If you do get an interview with a company from another State, you have to pay the travel expenses to get to the interview . And then, after paying those travel expenses, how will you feel if you don't get the position????
The "dream situation" would be to have a job and a place to live ready when a person arrived in the new State. Now remember, I did say the little phrase "DREAM SITUATION".
Actually, we are getting ready to sell our house here in Colorado and move to North Carolina.......without jobs or a place to live lined up. Because we done this when we moved here from So. Calif, we aren't scared to do it again. Yes, there is "risk" involved in moving that way, but don't we face all kinds of "risks" every day in our lives . It taking the "stupid risks" that people have to be aware of . With my wife's Degrees/experience.......no problem!!

Old 02-25-2007, 03:00 PM

10,177 posts, read 11,159,885 times
I would actually have a job there before moving.

I'm in the same boat right now - Hubby has an interview in Ohio this week - We just sold our home here in KS. If he gets this job, we will move there, if not, he'll keep looking and we'll move wherever he can land this job. It's a big company that has places through out the country. We won't do anything until he gets the job first. I hope this made sense.

Good Luck on whatever you decide.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:54 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
My husband had a job before relocation and this is what I suggest. We went through a recruiter and had recruiter fees paid, moving expenses paid, living expenses paid for 3 months, plus we were immediately put on health insurance from company (No, my husband is not a CEO or anything in white collar work).

I also don't suggest buying right away unless you know that is where you will be happy. We moved a year ago and my choice of where to buy has changed by about 25 miles.

If you can afford to move without a job, then do it, but don't harm yourself financially!

I myself am still looking for a job, have been for over a month now. It is a different world out there than it was years ago. Be prepared to go 3-6 months for a good paying job.

GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues