Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating: rent a room, find a job, downtown, traffic, car loan.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,526 times

Advertisements

Alright, I'll go over my situation first. I currently live in the Seattle area (east side, between Woodinville and Duvall). I'm 20 and I'll be turning 21 in a little over a week from now. I'm currently renting a crappy room from my grandfather for pretty cheap and will no way be able to afford my own place or even rent a room from anywhere else around here because it's so crushingly expensive. I can't find a job for two reasons. The first is the jobs I'll be able to commute to won't hire me. I haven't even gotten an interview because around here the jobs are either taken or I don't qualify for them. This is after four months of looking for a job. Everything else I might be able to get would require me to drive into downtown Seattle. During good traffic that's almost an hour drive. In bad traffic that can be two hours or more. That's just one way. On top of that I got into a terrible car loan at the advice of my mother and am paying $410 a month for it on top of $260 for insurance. I can likely get rid of this but I don't have the money for another car. The closest bus route is four miles from my house and only runs twice a day. My mother says I can live with her, but it's no closer to work and I'd be in an even worse situation than I am now. My father wants me to move with him but he won't be ready until March and he won't move anywhere affordable that I can get work or go to college.

This leads to another issue. I'll be 21 soon and I have nothing to show for it. I did two years of college during high school but had pretty mediocre grades (3.06 college GPA and 3.17 high school GPA). I had no focus in my classes and at the horrible advice of my high school counselor I didn't take the SAT or ACT. This was because he told me I'd be a transfer student and wouldn't need to show those scores (I would have done great on reading and writing but my math skills are poor). I come to find out most college will still act like you're a normal freshman if you did college work during high school. So I'm screwed for the most part unless I do another 40+ credits at an accredited community college. I can likely get away with this at a non-Washington college, but here they'll know. Plus because of the terrible scheduales most community colleges have I wouldn't be able to hold a full time job and go at the same time. I really want to act, but I have no previous experience with that.

I don't know where to move. I'm looking at Columbus, Ohio because I might get into OSU if they don't notice I took my classes during high school. But that's a pretty big city and I really don't know anything about it. Taking the bus would be a really new thing for me and I'm not sure if I could handle that jumping into an entirely new city. Plus being a non-resident I'd end up paying $20k+ for tuition if I did get into OSU. I'm really becoming depressed. I can't sleep at night and I really feel hopeless. I had high asperations for myself less than a year ago but I started listening to my family and second guessing myself which has put me into the position I'm in now. I have no family to really bail me out and no one out of state I know. My work history is limited and if I go somewhere similar to here I'm never going to find a job that pays more than minimum wage.

So here's what I have. I have about $600 to my name at the moment and maybe $600 left on my credit card. I need to get out of here by the 1st of January or so. If I sell what little I own I'll have a total of maybe $2000 at maximum to move. I need a buffer wherever I go incase it takes me some time to find a job. I need a place with good public transportation and a job market that's not going to shun me. I need some schools I can get into (with a theater/drama program) that are nearby, I don't care what. I also have my small dog which I really don't want to leave. I'd be taking a Greyhound bus so it'd be after I moved that I brought here down. I just need some help figuring this out because I'm in dire straits and can't take all of this anymore.

I went into the Army right out of high school and ended up being discharged because I was so stressed and physically exhausted. I'm back in that state of mind where that's all I feel I have left. I've been looking into going into the Navy because it'd be a bit easier, but I really don't think I could take it and I don't even know if I'd be able to get back in.

Thanks for any advice. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demper View Post
Alright, I'll go over my situation first. I currently live in the Seattle area (east side, between Woodinville and Duvall). I'm 20 and I'll be turning 21 in a little over a week from now. I'm currently renting a crappy room from my grandfather for pretty cheap and will no way be able to afford my own place or even rent a room from anywhere else around here because it's so crushingly expensive. I can't find a job for two reasons. The first is the jobs I'll be able to commute to won't hire me. I haven't even gotten an interview because around here the jobs are either taken or I don't qualify for them. This is after four months of looking for a job. Everything else I might be able to get would require me to drive into downtown Seattle. During good traffic that's almost an hour drive. In bad traffic that can be two hours or more. That's just one way. On top of that I got into a terrible car loan at the advice of my mother and am paying $410 a month for it on top of $260 for insurance. I can likely get rid of this but I don't have the money for another car. The closest bus route is four miles from my house and only runs twice a day. My mother says I can live with her, but it's no closer to work and I'd be in an even worse situation than I am now. My father wants me to move with him but he won't be ready until March and he won't move anywhere affordable that I can get work or go to college.

This leads to another issue. I'll be 21 soon and I have nothing to show for it. I did two years of college during high school but had pretty mediocre grades (3.06 college GPA and 3.17 high school GPA). I had no focus in my classes and at the horrible advice of my high school counselor I didn't take the SAT or ACT. This was because he told me I'd be a transfer student and wouldn't need to show those scores (I would have done great on reading and writing but my math skills are poor). I come to find out most college will still act like you're a normal freshman if you did college work during high school. So I'm screwed for the most part unless I do another 40+ credits at an accredited community college. I can likely get away with this at a non-Washington college, but here they'll know. Plus because of the terrible scheduales most community colleges have I wouldn't be able to hold a full time job and go at the same time. I really want to act, but I have no previous experience with that.

I don't know where to move. I'm looking at Columbus, Ohio because I might get into OSU if they don't notice I took my classes during high school. But that's a pretty big city and I really don't know anything about it. Taking the bus would be a really new thing for me and I'm not sure if I could handle that jumping into an entirely new city. Plus being a non-resident I'd end up paying $20k+ for tuition if I did get into OSU. I'm really becoming depressed. I can't sleep at night and I really feel hopeless. I had high asperations for myself less than a year ago but I started listening to my family and second guessing myself which has put me into the position I'm in now. I have no family to really bail me out and no one out of state I know. My work history is limited and if I go somewhere similar to here I'm never going to find a job that pays more than minimum wage.

So here's what I have. I have about $600 to my name at the moment and maybe $600 left on my credit card. I need to get out of here by the 1st of January or so. If I sell what little I own I'll have a total of maybe $2000 at maximum to move. I need a buffer wherever I go incase it takes me some time to find a job. I need a place with good public transportation and a job market that's not going to shun me. I need some schools I can get into (with a theater/drama program) that are nearby, I don't care what. I also have my small dog which I really don't want to leave. I'd be taking a Greyhound bus so it'd be after I moved that I brought here down. I just need some help figuring this out because I'm in dire straits and can't take all of this anymore.

I went into the Army right out of high school and ended up being discharged because I was so stressed and physically exhausted. I'm back in that state of mind where that's all I feel I have left. I've been looking into going into the Navy because it'd be a bit easier, but I really don't think I could take it and I don't even know if I'd be able to get back in.

Thanks for any advice. I really appreciate it.
Demper...this is a tough one...I was going to say you should check out the military...but since you've already tried that...I wouldn't know what to advise you to do. But, I'll tell you what I would NOT do, and that's take off on a bus someplace on a strangers advice! You are probably in the best place you can be right now...with your grandfather! Stay with family for the time being...there is no shame in that...and you're safe. It's hard out there right now, and alot of people are out of work...so the competition is tough. Hang in there though, because things will eventually turn around. Good luck to you and God bless!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,526 times
Thanks for the support. I really am considering the military again though. It's something I always really wanted to do, but I just jumped in way too early and without properly preparing myself for it. I think I'm going to contact some recruiters in the next few days and see what they can do for me. It sounds very conceited, but I'm way too intelligent for the position I'm in right now and it really is ridiculous that my whole life was essentially defined by a couple years of mediocre choices in high school. I can change that, but I'm in a really tough hole right now and I just need a way out. The military is my best bet right now, but I'm still open to advice.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,918 times
Have you checked with a Dav counselor? You may have been suffering from PTSD. If so, you may qualify for a percentage of disability pay. You may also qualify for some help with your education.
You may find some useful information at Military.com, or go to the VA's website. They did not discharge you with no reason, and if if was a health reason that started in the military, they should help you. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:06 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,470 times
Get a job - any job. Why do you have to move by the 1st...is your Grandpa throwing you out or is this a personal goal to get out?

I have sympathy for you. I swear, my twenties SUCKED! No one tells you how difficult those years are.

Don't sell your stuff just to move out and struggle. Stay ahead of your debt - and enroll in a community college. GET A SKILL - you also may qualify for student loans/aid so why not try and work on getting a good career in a stable field.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 AM

607 posts, read 1,333,851 times
Enroll in some type of training program. For example, you can get an EMT certification in a few months which could lead to a great career. Most community colleges have a number of certificate programs which can lead to decent jobs for a 20 year old.

Why do you need a school with a drama program? If I were you I would focus on making a living, then do theater later on once you're stable. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:19 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,689,611 times
It's tough out there as it is and with the economy in the state it's in moving to another state won't be the right choice for you now. If your grandpa isn't kicking you out STAY with him for awhile longer. As for joining the service, I don't think that's gonna solve all your problems and if it didn't work out for you the first time why put yourself throught the added stress again? I know finding yourself can be hard but you will work it all out eventually. Hang in there and let us know how you are doing.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 PM

100 posts, read 306,562 times
my son is 20 and he wants to join the Navy but can not because he does not have his high school diploma. He went down today (we are also in seattle area) and talked to the Army and they are going to help him get his ged and maybe get him in by feb? He is living with some friends that are not good for him and has no job. Pretty scary time for alot of people. I would make sure u want to join the military for the right reasons and not just because of the current state the economy is in. He was in ROTC and loved it. Go get some more education. If your g-pa is not complaining don't rush things. Just helping g-pa probably is a blessing to him! Take care and do not rush into anything. Goodluck

Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
Has someone told you that the Navy is easier than the Army? Chances are if you cant make it in the Army you probably wont make it in the Navy either.No criticism is intended. Just the truth. Have you thought about something like the Peace Corps or Ameriserve?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times
Default One view of your situation

I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother, but I've got four grown kids in their 20s and 30s. I prayed every day that they would reach their mid-20s before a possible war or draft got them. With what's going on in military duty and the dangers of being in war, I would be very careful of that option. Also, the 2 of my 4 kids who did not go to college are doing the best. One is a bartender making good money, one works for a natural foods store chain. The two others with college degrees had lots of classes, etc. but learned very little of use in the real world. You need hardcore skills to survive today. From watching my kids, I can see that the careers that will always do well in any economy are the ones that cater to peoples' needs---hair (barber, etc), health care, auto repair, restaurants (to some extent), tax accountant, etc. I would urge you to move to a place like Portland and enroll in a community college that has a SKILLS program. You might be able to barter a room in an older person's house if you agree to do work/upkeep/repairs, etc. You may have to live in your new state for a year before you get in-state tuition (much more expensive if you have not established that one-year state residency). Get the hardcore skills, and every elective you take, make sure it's practical. You can take bartending, office skills, etc. as part of your courses. Maybe carpentry or woodworking. You will never be sorry. As for your dog, it may be better in a good home if you can find one. It's a lot of work to take care of a dog properly, and the last thing it needs is for you to be gone all the time and it not being cared for with proper food and exercise. While you're waitingto establish state residency, take as many non-college classes as you can--you can get free computer training at public libraries. Even if you go into auto repair, bartending, carpentry, etc, computer courses will come in handy. A four-year degree is probably going to leave you without any skills. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues