Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,738 times

Advertisements

I too am thinking about moving. I've lived in the same town essentially my whole life. Leaving only for college, I returned shortly for graduate school. I find myself longing to live anywhere else. Anywhere. It's very depressing sometimes to long for something. I guess it's a fear that I have inside.
The high numbers of unemployed and the basic unhappiness overall seems to weigh heavy on me. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorider View Post
I live in Silver Spring Maryland, in a smaller town of burtonsville. I have lived here my whole life (25 now) and just bored of the same old ****. Same people going to the same bars ect... I am scared of leaving though because its so much easier knowing everyone and having long lasting connections to make money ect..... I have some money saved up and would love to tour the US and take off a year to see if buying a house in my hometown is the right thing to do. Im going to israel for 17 days in january and when I get back I feel like puting my motorcycle in my truck and just leaving...... I have friends and family in
North Carolina (ive heard its nice year round) never been
Atlanta Georgia
South Miami
Colorado and SoCal
Pretty much I just like being free and enjoy nice weather and doing things outdoors. Riding motorcycles, being on the water, snowboarding ect.... I feel like if Im gonna do this its now or never..... Obviously the ''safe'' thing for me to do is to keep working buy a house and just do what everyone else does work and have kids lol. Anyways whats your take on this

I have no debt, no kids, no serious relationship

Thanks for your input on this
Go exploring.

If you don't, you'll always wish you had.

You're at the right age, and stage in life. Do it.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickm28 View Post
I too am thinking about moving. I've lived in the same town essentially my whole life. Leaving only for college, I returned shortly for graduate school. I find myself longing to live anywhere else. Anywhere. It's very depressing sometimes to long for something. I guess it's a fear that I have inside.
The high numbers of unemployed and the basic unhappiness overall seems to weigh heavy on me. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Same advice to you.

If you're not tied down by family, job, or debt obligations, pack your bags and get going.

I'm saying this as the father of two sons who decided to pursue their dreams of being professional musicians. They moved to Nashville, hooked up with some bands, did a butt-load of touring, made great connections, had a great run, and decided to settle down in Minneapolis.

If you're young, you don't have to be where you are, and you have the desire to go - go! Don't spend the rest of your life wishing you had.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 13,225 times
Default If you're not happy...Move!

26 years ago I moved from LA to Wisconsin and have regretted it ever since! I didn't move because I was raising 2 children and now that my son is graduating high school this June, I can't wait to leave and head south. I grew up in a military backgroun and my step-father was transferred often, so no place is home for me either.
My daughter is your age and moved to Vegas 3 years ago, she doesn't love it, but it has given her an opportunity to see what this great, big world has to offer. She went to Vegas because she had contacts there and that made the transition easier. She will never live in Wisconsin again. Never.
Good luck to you and don't worry, you can always move back if things don't work out

Old 01-10-2010, 03:05 PM

43 posts, read 110,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorider View Post
I live in Silver Spring Maryland, in a smaller town of burtonsville. I have lived here my whole life (25 now) and just bored of the same old ****. Same people going to the same bars ect... I am scared of leaving though because its so much easier knowing everyone and having long lasting connections to make money ect..... I have some money saved up and would love to tour the US and take off a year to see if buying a house in my hometown is the right thing to do. Im going to israel for 17 days in january and when I get back I feel like puting my motorcycle in my truck and just leaving...... I have friends and family in
North Carolina (ive heard its nice year round) never been
Atlanta Georgia
South Miami
Colorado and SoCal
Pretty much I just like being free and enjoy nice weather and doing things outdoors. Riding motorcycles, being on the water, snowboarding ect.... I feel like if Im gonna do this its now or never..... Obviously the ''safe'' thing for me to do is to keep working buy a house and just do what everyone else does work and have kids lol. Anyways whats your take on this

I have no debt, no kids, no serious relationship

Thanks for your input on this
It has all been said but your letter reminded of myself 35 years ago. At 25, I joined the Army to get away from Cincinnati. I never looked back. Don't get me wrong, I still love Cincinnati and still call it home although I have not lived there since 74. Do your research as to what you are seeking, pack your bags and go. You can always return and visits are great. I visit Cincinnati at least once a year. I still have many friends there.

The night before I left I was scared and wondered why I was doing this. However after I had been with my new friends for a day or two, I knew I had done the right thing.

Spread your wings, and god speed!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:16 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Moving away from my hometown was one the best things I've ever done. I left and didn't look back--and, as bad as it sounds, I really hate going back to visit. I love my family and such, but living where I used to be and being so physically close to them wasn't for me.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I think it is easy since you are single. Everyone is different, and many people have a hard time. When DH and I were married we decided to move across country. We were in the same rut you described. Same old stuff, different day. Couldn't find anything different or new.

It was a cultural adjustment for quite some time. After two years I finally adjusted. Recently we moved with kids, and needless to say they had a really hard time adjusting. It's tough not having our circle of friends and the routine now. With kids, very different. Needless to say if we don't have to, we will stay put for a long time.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:07 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I think it is easy since you are single. Everyone is different, and many people have a hard time. When DH and I were married we decided to move across country. We were in the same rut you described. Same old stuff, different day. Couldn't find anything different or new.

It was a cultural adjustment for quite some time. After two years I finally adjusted. Recently we moved with kids, and needless to say they had a really hard time adjusting. It's tough not having our circle of friends and the routine now. With kids, very different. Needless to say if we don't have to, we will stay put for a long time.
Yeah... I was/am married when I moved across the country, but I could see how having kids could complicate the matter. We enjoy the solidarity, being just the two of us, though.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
It was a piece of cake for me, emotionally. Growing up, getting out of my home town was the only goal I can remember always having. Never regretted it, either. I had to join the USMC to finally do it, though.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 PM

10 posts, read 17,249 times
It's worth it to move away if only for comparison's sake. It may make you appreciate what you were bored with or it could open up a whole new world of opportunity. Good or bad, the point is you gain life experience that broadens your perspective of life in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues