Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

It is generally simpler to remain in familiar surroundings rather than go to an area you do NOT know, with no one around for support. Moving always means that you have to learn a whole new town, a whole new system.

Imagine if you had a store you always went to, and it closed. Now you have to learn the layout of a new store. Not comfortable at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:29 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
Everybody who I know stayed in their hometown ended up losers. Move, explore, and experience.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:12 PM

744 posts, read 1,209,616 times
I have not read all the posts on this, but wanted to say that I left my home town 1 month after high school graduation to go into the Marines, and I have lived all over the world and since I have been out never lived any closer than about 600 miles from my home town. I am so glad that I have been away for the same reasons that the OP is stating, same bars same old stuff. I do get homesick from time to time but that passes quickly enough. You need to experience other places so you can find where your heart will be content. To the OP if riding motorcycles is a main thing then also put Southern TX on your list. We usually have great weather for that. Good luck.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
The hardest part of being in your mid 20s and moving to somewhere you know no one is making friends. You're not in school and you don't have kids or family members to introduce you around.

If you can get past that hurdle, you'll be fine. I know for me, it got old and I yearned for people I knew, and ended up moving closer to family. Of course, after I met my dh and he re-enlisted, we moved even more. And a couple times since he got out. *sigh* I am so tired of moving. But since we're married, we always have each other and because of the kids, we get immersed in an area quickly and meet lots of people right away.

That said, I enjoyed living "all over".

To sum up- travel is good. The nomadic life gets old. And you will never be at this stage of your life again.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Everybody who I know stayed in their hometown ended up losers. Move, explore, and experience.
This is a generalization I used to agree with. Then through FB, I met up with two women I knew in high school. Neither ever left our hometown. (Not even for college - they both commuted to Chicago everyday)

One is married to a doctor and has two kids. The other is married, two kids and is a youth pastor. Both are upper class. Both have large extended families in the area and are two of the nicest people I've ever met in my life.

So, just saying, there are exceptions.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,424 times
Man up and move!

Leaving your home town isn't hard - people have just accepted staying as the norm....be bold, be brave, MOVE!

Old 12-16-2016, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
There's is no reason you should not just follow your heart. I would go and have all of those adventures. It will be fun and an invaluable learning experience for you regarding not just our world but self discovery as well. You never know who you will meet along the way as far as relationships go either. You may meet the one you are suppose to settle down with. You are so young (I'm almost 42) and who knows if you'll be able to do it again in the future. Many people are too afraid to embark on an adventure like this- they are afraid of the unknown. Do not be discouraged by others opinion on what you should or should not do. As far as being "safe", when was anything "safe" fun anyways. We only get to live once so you should go for it in my opinion.

I know this post is super old, but your words inspired me. You are now 47 as I write this. I am 35 (just turned 2 days ago). Last year, out of the blue, I decided to become a photographer. I decided to become a wildlife photographer. Well last year, I bought a camera and learned to use it. This year I decided I need to leave home but I am terrified and fairly broke most of the time. I want to leave, but I don't know how. I am really wanting to get out of here.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:20 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
It wasn't hard leaving my home town. In fact, I was very anxious to "get out of Dodge". Too bad I had things so wrong. I can't wait to move back.

When one lives in one area for many years, and seemingly their whole life, the desire to live elsewhere is very strong and understandable. Some move to a completely different area and love it. Others see their roots in a whole new light, and see how good they had it. When you move to another area, you might just find people to be very strange and hard to connect to.

Sometimes it takes a move to a completely different area to see your home town crystal clear, freed of the building up of frustration. Family, friends, and times unique to only us should be treasured. Our roots make us who we are, the good and the bad. Sometimes we need to relax and be thankful, and lay down the stones.

It's not necessarily hard to move, but it is hard to step back from yourself, clear one's thinking, and approach moving with the clarity that we really need. There can sometimes be a lot of noise and distraction going on upstairs that we don't even realize is there.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:22 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,071 times
Buy an rv or travel trailer and home is where you take it.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:47 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
OP circa 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues