Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 AM

8 posts, read 16,431 times

Advertisements

Thanks for replying to my post. However, keep in mind that most of us are not lawyers necessarily, but innocent consumers expecting services for the money we pay. Yes, I intend to continue to pursue this. Mine is a "binding estimate"., and I did not have any additional household goods to the inventory list. The driver refused to check my list, as I stated before. Budget salesman was extremely misleading in his presentation to me, as he even stated that the payment was split in three payments, and the last payment would most probably be even less than quoted. Companies are not supposed to lie and then get money for nothing. Misrepresenting information and misleading the consumer is not a part of good business. I received nothing for my $600.00, and in these economic times, doesn't sit well with me. Giving a binding estimate for one price, and then quoting me twice as much on arrival is false advertising. Thank you for your feedback, and if you want to call me stupid because I trustingly assumed that I would be given the service I was promised, so be it, but it's probably kinder if you just keep those kinds of opnions to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
I'm not trying to call you "stupid", marham. I added the above information to try to help other inexperienced, uninformed consumers avoid the same outcome with their relocation plans as what you've experienced.

I don't wish anyone the same fate. I find it curious, however, that you found and contributed to this thread after you were taken to the cleaners and not before you were willing to surrender everything you own to company that you had not even vetted through the normal channels available online.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Excuse me, but it is poor business practice to mislead the consumer and also false advertising to give one binding estimate, take a deposit on that, and then send a driver who refused to go over the inventory list, and changed the rate to twice as much or over. Most consumers are paying for a service to be done. In this case, I paid over $600.00, and did not receive a service! If that is not illegal, it should be!!
Also, why are you involved, Rikki Tikki? I just wanted what I was promised and paid a deposit for. The salesman from Budget even told me that the last installment would be LESS than the amount proposed. So are you telling me that it is all right for these companies to flat out lie, and it then becomes MY fault?
I plan to get my money back. And in the meantime, I will report this and keep pursuing what's right. And part of that involves allowing other people to know about it and hopefully not get scammed like I was.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:35 PM

Yes, your absolutely right marham! It is poor advertising.

However, under the current Consumer Protection Regulations, it not illegal. Since it's not illegal, I doubt that you will find an attorney or judge who is willing to side with you on your argument against Budget Van Lines, especially if the documentation they sent you advises that their deposit is non-refundable.

I've been beating the drum against scam movers for a whole lot longer than you. Ever since the U.S. Congress deregulated the household goods moving industry in 1980 because consumers wanted it more "competitive".

I wish you the very best in your endeavor and hope others contemplating the use of Budget Van Lines and Royal Relocation learn from your experience.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 PM

OH, and now that I see your above post, I will tell you why I am now posting. Could it have been that before I contracted with Budget that I happened to be BUSY PACKING and preparing for my move and relocation, and didn't realize that a moving company would try to put one over on me?? Perhaps times have changed to the point that businesses are looking for ways to steal, instead of putting forth an honest, professional business.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Well, Rikki Tikki you seem to enjoy whatever knowledge you seem to have. YES, it was illegal what happened. Maybe your intentions are good, but please let me post what I need to in order to let others beware.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:47 PM

Good luck with your expensive legal battle, Marham!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
RikkiTikki has proven to be a knowledgeable, helpful addition to this forum.
He has graciously, repeatedly shared his years of experience in this business with us here and we are better for it.

I'm sorry to read all of these horror stories about poor movers. I understand the anger....but I will not allow it to be misplaced and aimed towards those whom we benefit from.

A friendly reminder to discuss a topic without being critical of other posters please....

Frank

Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Everyone with a bad experience with Budget Van Lines should report it to the BBB. I plan to. They are keeping my deposit of $606.00, and sent some unprofessional driver who quoted an amount more than double what my binding estimate showed. Then the lady from the truckers from Royal Relocation who Budget sent out called me threatening me and yelling at me over the phone that she would sue me if I reported it to anyone.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 PM

It it is not my intention of being critical of anyone on here. I simply wanted to make an effort to put out the fact to others just like anyone else has who has had a bad experience, so that they will know and be careful. I was hoping that I could do so without a feeling of sarcasm coming back at me. So no problem...I will not use this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues