Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:19 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,078,289 times

Advertisements

I've lived all over the world. I've moved about 44 times. It finally got to the point where I lost count! Moving was always amazing and fun! Everyone thought I was "so brave" because I would move somewhere I've never been, or to a country I didn't know the language of. It was adventure!

For the last seven years, I've lived my life in a box. In the same apartment in the same city and I'm going absolutely stir-crazy! So, I am moving into a different apartment, in the same city, to satisfy the immediate urge for change. That, and the apartment complex I live in now has become like a college dormitory for young, idiot, underaged drunks.

But, I have a plan...

I'm taking the time to figure out what it is I want to do with the rest of my life. I've been around the world and experienced enough to be able to figure this out. Most importantly, I want to put down some roots and get to know the people where I live and be a part of the community.

What I realized is that geography is more important to me than anything else. I have to love where I live. I'm researching anywhere and everywhere that's of interest to me and narrowing it down to where I'd like to settle down. Then, I'll look at how I can make a living in that place.

Currently, I'm moving into a small studio apartment so I can save money. I'll be debt free by the end of the year and have money saved up so I can start somewhere fresh with a little nest egg.

If you're going to move somewhere, it's important to have a reason and to know what it is. If you're moving to escape your life, it won't work. I promise you. It follows you wherever you go. Know what you want and why you want it.

Moving IS EXCITING! Yes, it's work, but anything worthwhile is! If anyone as any questions about moving or planning or figuring things out, just ask. I really am an expert and I don't charge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 10:39 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,093,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
We're 6 months away from moving to FL. All the arrangements have been on my shoulders. Right now, we're in the midst of getting the house in NY ready to put on the market. The realtor is coming in 2 weeks and we have so much to do. I'm so tired of doing nothing but clean and paint and all that stuff. I'm exhausted and stressed out. Will there ever be a day I'll be able to sit back, relax and not worry about anything??
Yes.
In 6 months

Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,469,988 times
I become obsessed with it also. I'm about 6 weeks from moving back to SWFL and I started packing about a month ago. Now I just want to pack everything up but I still have to live on things like pots and pans.. I'm sure if it was my choice I'd have it all packed lol. All I think about all day is man I could be at the beach again, or wonder what my friends are doing etc etc. I see commericals on Fla all the time and I'm bummed I'm not there. I have notes on things I need to do, and pack and everything you can think of. Its hard not to think about moving when you are so excited for something. Its like being a little kid waiting to go to Disney

Old 03-30-2008, 06:42 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,874,166 times
Umm...yes....I, my husband and daughter are all obsessed. My husband and 12 yr old HATE the midwest and we have been obsessed with finding the perfect city/state to move to. I am from over seas but they are from the east coast yet we do not want to move to cold weather....so we hunted for about 9 months for the perfect place to move.

Found that Tampa is the perfect place for us, found the perfect house on the Bay, now we are waiting to close May 1. Great except we can not move until July 1 due to my daughter needing to finish 6th grade.

All we talk about it furniture, moving, packing, decorating and repainting. We will hire some painters on May 1 and we (& even my daughter) are constantly looking at paint colors and trying to decide on new furniture/comforters/towels/accessories to go with....yes we are obsessed and if its not the city, then picking the house, then now its what to do with the house!

I was thinking July 1, after we unpack we will be a bit less crazed, but then again, we are getting rid of many our belongings and purchasing new ones when we get there.....so there will be a new thing to be obsessed with!
I'm shooting for August 15 before school starts to be calm again.......

Old 03-30-2008, 08:55 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,956,550 times
What a wonderful thread this is - we will be moving from West Virginia to our summer home in two years, as soon as hubby retires. We bought our summer home five years ago looking towards retirement. It's on an island off the coast of Maine, an old 1879 4-square farmhouse and our obsessions are a little different than most of you.

Our obsession is with remodeling one room at that farmhouse a year so that when we retire there in 2 years, the house is move in ready. We take a Penske truck up every 2 years with building materials, furniture, things that we've bought for the current room we will be working on that year. For instance: We completely redid the 3 season porch complete with insulation, new windows, new trim, etc. Then we obsessively spent the winter looking for just the perfect furniture, rug, lamps and so on.

This May we will again take a truck up there with new furniture and remodleing supplies for the living room. In past years we have redone the kitchen, one of the bathrooms, one of the bedrooms, the foyer, the aforementioned porch, the deck. We still have the dining room, two bedrooms, second bathroom and the plans to put an attic stairway in the upstairs hall and floor and wire the attic for storage.

So we satisfy our obsession yearly by concentrating on rooms rather than houses or areas. I guess that when you're in your 60's like we are, obsessions change to retirement living and that one last remodel.

We spend all winter here in WV planning, acquiring, everything, right down to the paint and trim. We make lists and lists and refine them as new ideas come to our minds. We know that in two years when he retires, we will that day, walk out of the house and head for our little bit of heaven in Maine. The house here will be empty and in the hands of realtors and we'll be on our way to what we consider as the perfect retirement.

Thanks for letting me tell my little obsession story.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:11 PM

69 posts, read 207,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Has anyone else become so obsessed with moving, that they have forgotten to live?

I think I have..........my days go by so fast because I am completely focused on a different life somewhere else. HOW DO I STOP, and smell the roses? This has been going on a long time, if I am going to move, why don't I just do it and get it over with? If I am going to stay, why don't I just accept where I am living and take life one day at a time? It is too short to be sooooo focused on a different life. I think I have some kind of compulsive disorder that I keep coming back to moving.

I decided I was going to stay where I am, and a year later I am looking into moving again.....I just find myself doing it! I guess I am just unhappy inside and looking for something........<<sigh>>

How does everyone focus on their life here and now, and still look for utopia w/o becoming obsessed with it?
I've been there, done that!
And guess what!? I'm FINALLY getting the opportunity! I'm so excited that I forget that I'm still HERE and have to BE here while I'm HERE... Don't put the cart before the horse you know..? The only thing holding us back is finishing up school... (this fall) Then we're out of here! Me and the hubby.. the 5 kids.. the dog, cat, and maybe the rats!
Good luck to you!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 PM

28 posts, read 113,458 times
Default Me Too:)

I can relate. My dh and I have been wanting to move down to North Carolina for a few years now. It all started b/c I hate the cold weather but he doesn't want to go down too far south. North Carolina seemed the perfect compromise. We started the researching and even went down with the kids to visit 2 yrs ago. We really liked it and definitely think it would be a good place to try. I am nervous b/c I have lived here all of my life. Plus, my 10 yr oldest dd is very happy here and has a ton of friends, very involved in activities and school....but.....we really want to try it...I don't think a day has gone by that I haven't been on the internet looking up info on schools and reading forums....talk about obsessed, we think about it all the time.

I worry that I am just wishing that the move will be a fresh start and our lives would be better in a new place....but I am afraid that if we don't try it, we will never know. But with three kids, a cat and a dog, that is a lot of people to affect for something that might have just become an obsession.

We basically have decided to go for it. We had already put our house on the market in September to downsize b/c this area has gotten way too expensive and I want to be a SAHM. It is under agreement now and we will hopefully settle at the end of the school year, so the timing seems perfect. We are wondering if there is a reason all of the cards seem to be falling into place. So....we are thinking we will try it for one year-rent a house down there, if after the year we feel like it wasn't the right move, then we can always move back. My 10 yr old will start middle school in NC and then after the year, it won't hurt her to move back....hopefully she will end up loving it and all is well, if not we broke her heart for nothing.....

Does this sound absolutely insane???

Old 04-09-2008, 09:30 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,695,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Umm...yes....I, my husband and daughter are all obsessed. My husband and 12 yr old HATE the midwest and we have been obsessed with finding the perfect city/state to move to. I am from over seas but they are from the east coast yet we do not want to move to cold weather....so we hunted for about 9 months for the perfect place to move.

Found that Tampa is the perfect place for us, found the perfect house on the Bay, now we are waiting to close May 1. Great except we can not move until July 1 due to my daughter needing to finish 6th grade.

All we talk about it furniture, moving, packing, decorating and repainting. We will hire some painters on May 1 and we (& even my daughter) are constantly looking at paint colors and trying to decide on new furniture/comforters/towels/accessories to go with....yes we are obsessed and if its not the city, then picking the house, then now its what to do with the house!

I was thinking July 1, after we unpack we will be a bit less crazed, but then again, we are getting rid of many our belongings and purchasing new ones when we get there.....so there will be a new thing to be obsessed with!
I'm shooting for August 15 before school starts to be calm again.......
Which part of the midwest did you live in? Why did you hate it? Only asking because we may potentially move to the midwest...Thanks.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,874,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Which part of the midwest did you live in? Why did you hate it? Only asking because we may potentially move to the midwest...Thanks.
We live right outside of Indianapolis. It is bland, lacks culture, and has nothing but chains.

My husband is from Boston, daughter born in NY and I born in E. Europe. We prefer a different lifestyle.

We like more diversity, more culture, more festivals, street fairs, better weather (it is grey here all winter and 90 degrees with 90% humidity in the summer).

It is very inexpensive to live here, that is what everyone says when you ask them what they like about here. Just live here and travel is what they say. We would rather spend more money on a place and actually "live".

Old 04-09-2008, 10:15 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,695,759 times
I feel the same way about moving...we want to move. We have moved once before to our current location but we did not have kiddos then. That is a whole other thing now because we have to consider schools, things to do around for them, etc. Our kids are still young so we will move but just want to have the job in place, then get a house right away and start kindergarten, ugh, I'm tired already. If you do not have kids, take advantage of that and MOVE! We just realized that if the place is a little bigger than the previous one we were at, we will tire of it in a few years, like we have now. So our next move will hopefully be to an even bigger place so we will not tire of it too quickly. We like to do things, you know, explore the museums, zoos, festivals, beaches, parks, etc. but also be in a safe place when we aren't out and about. Good luck to US ALL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues