Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
We live right outside of Indianapolis. It is bland, lacks culture, and has nothing but chains.

My husband is from Boston, daughter born in NY and I born in E. Europe. We prefer a different lifestyle.

We like more diversity, more culture, more festivals, street fairs, better weather (it is grey here all winter and 90 degrees with 90% humidity in the summer).

It is very inexpensive to live here, that is what everyone says when you ask them what they like about here. Just live here and travel is what they say. We would rather spend more money on a place and actually "live".
I hear ya!!!!!! Okay, Indiana is not the place we were considering so we're okay. I feel your boredom though. It is no fun when there is nothing to do but be at home watching the grass grow. Being from Boston & Europe I know you must be missing some culture, mass transit, and diversity like you said. Did you move there for a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 03:13 PM

22 posts, read 67,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Umm...yes....I, my husband and daughter are all obsessed. My husband and 12 yr old HATE the midwest and we have been obsessed with finding the perfect city/state to move to. I am from over seas but they are from the east coast yet we do not want to move to cold weather....so we hunted for about 9 months for the perfect place to move.

Found that Tampa is the perfect place for us, found the perfect house on the Bay, now we are waiting to close May 1. Great except we can not move until July 1 due to my daughter needing to finish 6th grade.

All we talk about it furniture, moving, packing, decorating and repainting. We will hire some painters on May 1 and we (& even my daughter) are constantly looking at paint colors and trying to decide on new furniture/comforters/towels/accessories to go with....yes we are obsessed and if its not the city, then picking the house, then now its what to do with the house!

I was thinking July 1, after we unpack we will be a bit less crazed, but then again, we are getting rid of many our belongings and purchasing new ones when we get there.....so there will be a new thing to be obsessed with!
I'm shooting for August 15 before school starts to be calm again.......
So jealous! I took a position in Miami and so miss Tampa. It is such a nice city and people are SO friendly. Hopeful to go back someday soon!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:31 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,029 times
All of you who are obsessed with just thinking about, or planning a move - ha! Wait until you are actually moving! Talk about obsession. We are embarking on a major move (NY to HI) in July, and I just want to spend every waking minute cleaning out, tossing out, packing up, planning... I seriously resent the time I have to spend at work! But I need these next few months' pay to pay for the move, so I can't quit. But man, would I love to. It seems there will never be enough time to get it all done.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:35 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Default Great Place to Vent

That's one of the great things about the City-Data forum. We can vent our frustrations with our present locations and also dream about our new locales with other folks who are doing the same thing!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:35 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,206 times
Yes I'm too obsessed with moving but our moving also retiring. We close on our home th 25th of this month, and plan to stay in the house another 30 days as we are paying 7,000 of the buyers closing cost. I've got the house 75% packed up, today the husband spent 2 hours out in the shop to start organizing. It drives me crazy, he will be moving down to our second home in June and I will meet him down there at the end of July, he is suppose to get things going for our new home to be built. I sure hope he doesn't put that off as well.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:01 AM

185 posts, read 567,355 times
What do you do when you're obsessed with moving but can't decide where to move? My fiance and I are currently working to save up the money and start selling/getting rid of what we don't want. All that is great and it feels good to be closer to being financially ready to move, BUT we don't have any where to move to yet (which is kind of important!) It's unbelievably stressful not being able to pick a place. So to everyone who knows where you're going and are just waiting to get there, you are sooooooo lucky!!!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:58 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,084 times
hi~

I am happy to see this thread as well. It seems that my husband and I can never find someplace to actually call "home".
I will give you a little background... moved away from our actual home (Western NY) right after getting married (12 yrs ago) due to a job for my husband. He is an engineer and it was a great opportunity for him.
After 12 years, we have now moved approx 7x and are currently living in our 5th home!
Most of these moves have been job related,promotions, so that is the good news!
The bad news is that we live in the mid-atlantic where prior to this housing market,things were great. We could sell and did sell our previous homes with absolutely no problem at all. The problem is what the homes were selling for,pretty much unaffordable. Our choices have always been to live in a newer home but be away from all the conveniences needed.
So far,that is the route we have gone and now we are very,very much regretting our deicisions.
We again moved last Summer (this time our own doing-looking for that perfect place to call home). We moved to the Eastern Shore of MD, which is a beautiful,beautiful place to live. Built a lovely home with all the upgrades for less than a much older home would have cost us on the Western shore of MD!
Are we greedy? I don't know at this point, maybe so or maybe we are just human and not afraid to admit we are looking for "greener pastures".
SO-we move here and it is probably the worst decision we have ever made.
The people are so unfriendly and unaccepting of the "non-locals" and our children are pretty isolated. Not one of our neighbors has extended themselves to us and it is very sad. Our children would LOVE to have others to play with but no one even asks.
We live about 20 minutes from a decent grocery store and there really is nothing to do for the kids here.
Why didn't we think about this before moving here? Well, it was because we thought it wouldn't be a 'big deal" honestly, we love the area,it is so pretty,right by the Chesapeake Bay, we thought this would be wonderful.
WOW-if we would have only looked at what we had and not wished for more or maybe we just haven't found that place in our hearts yet, I don't know.
What I do know is that I too am ready to move already! we haven't even been here for a year and I am on realtor.com late at night and putting all kinds of scenarios of "what if we do this,etc.... " and my husband as much as he would love to move as well, is thinking resonably about the financial issues that would come with yet another move,and this time, in a terrible housing market.

I am sometimes so tired of moving but I think that we get bored very,very easy because of all the previous moves and I am sad for my children. I want to live in an area where everyone is accepted (my children are internationally adopted and it is not something common where we live... we are definitely a "different" family on the outside to people).
If I had my choice,we would move back to our real home in Western NY where our family and close friends are, unfortunately,the job market for my husband is not good.
He has tried and nothing ever comes of it.

So, I am glad to see that there are others who have also made a "Career" of moving and hope that we all find someplace to call "home" physically and in our hearts

Old 04-14-2008, 11:38 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
All I think about is getting out of dodge!! I look at webcams all day long of my old town (that we are moving back to) I can hardly stand being in this city (Seattle) one more day.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Default Be careful not to lose your home sale tax exclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
hi~
The bad news is that we live in the mid-atlantic where prior to this housing market,things were great. We could sell and did sell our previous homes with absolutely no problem at all. The problem is what the homes were selling for,pretty much unaffordable. Our choices have always been to live in a newer home but be away from all the conveniences needed.
So far,that is the route we have gone and now we are very,very much regretting our deicisions.
We again moved last Summer (this time our own doing-looking for that perfect place to call home). We moved to the Eastern Shore of MD, which is a beautiful,beautiful place to live. Built a lovely home with all the upgrades for less than a much older home would have cost us on the Western shore of MD!
Are we greedy? I don't know at this point, maybe so or maybe we are just human and not afraid to admit we are looking for "greener pastures".
SO-we move here and it is probably the worst decision we have ever made.
The people are so unfriendly and unaccepting of the "non-locals" and our children are pretty isolated. Not one of our neighbors has extended themselves to us and it is very sad. Our children would LOVE to have others to play with but no one even asks.
We live about 20 minutes from a decent grocery store and there really is nothing to do for the kids here.
Why didn't we think about this before moving here? Well, it was because we thought it wouldn't be a 'big deal" honestly, we love the area,it is so pretty,right by the Chesapeake Bay, we thought this would be wonderful.
WOW-if we would have only looked at what we had and not wished for more or maybe we just haven't found that place in our hearts yet, I don't know.
What I do know is that I too am ready to move already! we haven't even been here for a year and I am on realtor.com late at night and putting all kinds of scenarios of "what if we do this,etc.... " and my husband as much as he would love to move as well, is thinking resonably about the financial issues that would come with yet another move,and this time, in a terrible housing market.

So, I am glad to see that there are others who have also made a "Career" of moving and hope that we all find someplace to call "home" physically and in our hearts
I'm sorry this last move has turned out so badly for you. It's especially hard when the kids aren't happy.

But don't forget if you move before you've lived there 2 yrs., there will be capital gains to pay, as the rule is to live in a home 2 yrs. in order to get the
$500,000 gains exclusion.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:56 AM

519 posts, read 1,377,368 times
I know this thread is old, but was super happy to find it, I am obsessed with the Ocean, the smell, the feel, the tranquility, the sand in my toes, I have been visiting the ocean since I was around 10 or so, now at 45 we go every summer for vacation and every single year it gets harder and harder to come home, its just not enough anymore, we are filling out resumes left and right that is anywhere close to the ocean from N.C, S.C. Alabama, and Florida, wherever we end up it has to be close to the ocean, not sure if it is even possible but I feel like maybe in a previous life I lived close to the ocean, I feel at home when I am there, I live in a super small town with absolutely nothing to do, am a bit of a loaner due to I tolerate no BS in my life, and have no desire to fit into the mold of this town of you are better than I, I know this is everywhere in life, and believe me when I say we have at least 10 or more kids a year leave our school due to this and fare so much better somewhere else, there is no where close for any of my family to advance in life and this town and all of the small towns adjoining it are all also dying off, 1 stop light, gas station and a pizza shop, literally this is it. I am into health and love to run and walk, but the daily route is so boring and unimaginative its hard to want to even get out with the same scenery daily, also hate the cold, want to vegetate all winter long, I can walk around my town 2 times and have 5 miles in.. Crazy, my son feels the same way, no room for him to grow in our school, very limited access to things for fun, he loves to take pics and is a tech geek, so many bigger cities offer so many amazing advanced production/photography opportunities, my daughter graduates in May and my son will be a Sophomore so hes beyond ready for a change, looking forward to someday living in a bigger city and more things, to do and to be able to smell that ocean air ever single day..
When my husband gets a call about an interview I am all over it, looking every detail up possible, watch web cams daily to get my ocean fix, look up temps, guess you could say I am a bit obsessed. Again know this thread is old, but felt compelled to bring it up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues