Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,282 times

Advertisements

We will most likely be moving from NC to FL next year and my parents are in the same town in NC now that we are and they are very close to my son and I. However, they are wanting to move (if not full-time) to roughly the same FL location then at least a good 5-6 months out of the year down there so either way, eventually we will be separated.

Since we've been wanting to move to FL for the past ten years, I'd rather go ahead and make the move now and go ahead and get settled in and hopefull they'll be down not to much long afterwards.

If they don't end up making it down there for a while until after we do, well I am 36 years old so I guess it might be time to run away from home if only for a little while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 12:32 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post
When my SO and I were first married we moved deep into a rural area on 112 acres. It was terrible and we were constantly asked why we weren't making the family gatherings a usual. It caused a gap that never fully joined back together.

It is always important to stay close to your supportive family! Do not underestimate the positive results from being near the positive people.

Those family members were always saying how very much missed my spouse and I were by all of them. Now, after several deaths, the family is fragmented, and consequently will never ever recoup.
I agree that if you have a supportive family is nice to live nearby. But if your family is completely dysfunctional and fragmented to begin with, it is better to live far away from them.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
Yes, I moved away with husband for job reasons about 11 years ago. The first few years I was excited about seeing new places and things, but after that I began to really miss my familiy. My sisters and Mom are my best friends, and I have a ton of relatives whose company I enjoy, and who provide a strong support system there. If I had known what I know now I would never have left the state I was born in for any amount of money. But maybe I wouldn't have figured out how much more important my familiy was to me if I hadn't left it.
My parents are also older, and my Dad is not in good health, so it's even more important for me to get back someday.
I suppose for some if you don't have a closeness with your familiy it wouldn't be such a big deal, but those that do should cherish the time they have together.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:15 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_kid86 View Post
My family lives about three hours away from me. I've never regretted leaving my family, not for a second. It's my friends that are motivating me to move back. I miss them a whole lot more.

If we were to move back - it would be friends also.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:02 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,001 times
I'm going to be moving away from family soon, so I'm really getting a kick out of these replies...

Actually, the wife's family lives here, I don't have much family left... we will (hopefully) be leaving the area next year for greener pastures, though... We're moving because we simply can't afford to buy a home here.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:16 PM

78 posts, read 407,588 times
I'm going through this issue now. My husband and I have our house up for sale and want to downsize and move somewhere quiet and more rural. However, I have a daughter and a son near us now. Both are married and they have given us 4 grandchildren whom I see every week and whom I love so much. I presently live 1/2 hour from our daughter and 1 hour from our son. Because they all work, and the kids have school schedules....my husband and I usually travel to their homes. My husband would like to move out of this state....for several reasons. I don't know if I'm going to feel comfortable moving further from the kids and grandkids. I know that the kids might one day move away from us. And I know that ultimately...my husband and I need to do what is best for us. I have already said that I won't move further than 3 hours drive from them. Of course, as we get older....that 3 hour drive won't be so easy to do!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:04 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I moved from my mom out of state who is my best friend. I am single and I think it is different when you have kids because they grow up so fast. We are planning a lot of visits back and forth and are blessed we can. It is not the same though as the weekly visits or meeting for a quick lunch. I hope oneday she will move near me as the winters are pretty ruff where I am from. We talk every day. I think all moves take time especially one feels more lonely for family at home when they don't know many in the new area. It takes time to adjust.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I never did. I'm Bay Area born and raised, as is my family. I'm not close to all of them...certain aunts/uncles/cousins/etc. just never had much in common with...but my parents and my brother are all close. As well as my MIL and FIL. My kids are still around, although they may venture farther out to find work, who knows. Although family isn't the reason I stayed it worked out that my job, my husbands job, and all that were here as well. I just can't imagine ever living anywhere else, although once my parents are gone I may be open to the possibility...just for a change of pace and lower COL in my own retirement. But it's pretty hard to beat where I live sooooo....

Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
My greatest regret is that I didn't move away year ago. I finally had all the interferrence in my life from my mother and sister I could take and moved 3 years ago. Best thing I have ever done for me.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,640 times
Yes - from the UK to the USA.

No, I don't regret it.

But, it hasn't been easy either.

Being able to use Skype, webcams, email etc has been a godsend, as has the fact that my parents (early 60's) are still fit and able to travel here. I am also lucky in that it's fairly easy for me to schedule trips home if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues