Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 05:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Thanks Pocketplayer for the details. Goodness - a challenge - but not insurmountable. I'm not experienced with dogs such as your three, and I was going to suggest asking in the Dog Forum, but I saw you already did.

I'm wondering if you could ship your car (or get someone else to drive it) and rent a small RV or minivan to transport yourself and your three guys in crates?
Renting a minivan would be a workable solution with your car following that woudl be easier on both you and the dogs. Do uses the tranks, they work wonders. My dog slept fine and loved the trip from cali to ok but the cat was terrified. She slept her way between motel to motel. If the dogs are tranqualized and in crates you should have no problem with them becoming agressive. You can pack alot more in your car and minivan too than just your car.

For rescue dogs who already have issures I would think that flying would be more traumatic than being near you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 03:07 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Pocketplayer -- another thought I had ... did you and your dogs match up through any sort of rescue network? If so, there might be a way to connect to the network along your route for more advice and/or assistance. I know networks exist. When I lived in PA I was going to volunteer as a driver to transport rescue dogs through my part of the country. There was a string of volunteers at least through the Mid-Atlantic states who were part of this. We moved before I could get involved, and for the life of me I cannot find the information. Anyway, just a thought.

I agree with nightbird47 that flying without you would be more traumatic as well as very expensive and would involve a great deal of logistics (maybe too much to actually pull off.)

Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,506 times
You never did state whether you are just driving out to visit or are you actually relocating to TN? When I moved from Ohio to Washington State I rented a 26' U-Haul with an auto trailer in tow. I drove myself with 4 dogs riding up in front with me. I had 3 Rhodesian Ridgebacks and 1 Weimaraner and stopped at rest stops along the way to accommodate their potty breaks. I had absolutely no problems finding hotel accommodations along the way with the help of AAA Auto Club Trip Planner perk. Now bear in mind none of my dogs were rescues and for the most part with exception of occasional Alpha Status recognition got along well. Don't know your budget but just a thought as someone already mentioned above, sedatives from your vet does work wonders.

Dave

Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
You never did state whether you are just driving out to visit or are you actually relocating to TN? When I moved from Ohio to Washington State I rented a 26' U-Haul with an auto trailer in tow. I drove myself with 4 dogs riding up in front with me. I had 3 Rhodesian Ridgebacks and 1 Weimaraner and stopped at rest stops along the way to accommodate their potty breaks. I had absolutely no problems finding hotel accommodations along the way with the help of AAA Auto Club Trip Planner perk. Now bear in mind none of my dogs were rescues and for the most part with exception of occasional Alpha Status recognition got along well. Don't know your budget but just a thought as someone already mentioned above, sedatives from your vet does work wonders.

Dave
RE: YOUR LAST sentence about sedatives. According to my vet, he does not recommend for animals flying or transported in large areas, without proper support, to be sedated because, when the animal is sedated, it losses all equilibrium, and in the event of any harsh movement, the animal will not be able to use its innate supports.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:18 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
You are going to have to fly one or two or all of the dogs.

Because of the dogs' history, I would consider putting them on valium or some other drug.

Ace-Promazine is the one drug you want to be careful using because it is very powerful. If you do use it, you want to test the dosage on the dogs before they fly, because all dogs respond differently.

Airlines do not like people sedating dogs, but sometimes it is necessary. Especially in a case where the dogs might get excited and try to bust their way out of the cage.

Flying is the fastest and easiest way to transport dogs. I do not like Delta. American Airlines is a good choice.

Woofers

Old 12-30-2008, 01:46 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
RE: YOUR LAST sentence about sedatives. According to my vet, he does not recommend for animals flying or transported in large areas, without proper support, to be sedated because, when the animal is sedated, it losses all equilibrium, and in the event of any harsh movement, the animal will not be able to use its innate supports.
A fair enough statement.... Did not know this and it does make sense. As I mentioned, I was fortunate enough whereas I did not need sedatives for my 4. I did have to sedate my MOD CUT Ridgeback years ago a post surgical procedure the vet recommended to keep her calm. It worked well and she was in my house crated during her sedation.

Dave

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 12-30-2008 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: no need for ****

Old 01-04-2009, 10:37 PM

134 posts, read 680,762 times
Well, here's an update. I am driving all three dogs cross country from LA to Nashville in an Acura Legend. I have the car partitioned that the back seat has a clear fiberglass barrier like a taxi cab or limo. The front passenger seat has a separator, dividing the dog in the front seat and the one in the foot rest area.

As for meds...Valerian Root was recommended and I have been trying to find a correct dose.

I am bringing my bike to run the dogs at rests. The barrier will keep them separated while I am gone. I have three spare keys, one hidden and one worn like a military ID.

I am buying hand warmers that last 5-7 hours for the dogs at night when it gets cold if I have to rest at a stop. I will have plenty of blankets and towels.

Will be interesting to say the least!

Wish me well...

Old 01-12-2009, 12:33 PM

154 posts, read 910,132 times
Get rid of the agressive dogs. Keep the one that's nice. Problem solved. I don't mean to sound heartless, I love animals and I have two dogs of my own. If one of them would be aggressive enough to bite the other one, or bite a person, he'd be GONE from my household. I haven't read all the posts, but after reading your original thread, I was just wondering why you are putting so much worry, money and effort into animals who don't sound like good pets at all? Just wondering.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:11 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
You are going to have to fly one or two or all of the dogs.

Because of the dogs' history, I would consider putting them on valium or some other drug.

Ace-Promazine is the one drug you want to be careful using because it is very powerful. If you do use it, you want to test the dosage on the dogs before they fly, because all dogs respond differently.

Airlines do not like people sedating dogs, but sometimes it is necessary. Especially in a case where the dogs might get excited and try to bust their way out of the cage.

Flying is the fastest and easiest way to transport dogs. I do not like Delta. American Airlines is a good choice.

Woofers
Check out the latest news about JetBlue. They are bending over backwards to be dog friendly.......

Frank D.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,780 times
I am wondering if it is safe to put my 2 golden retrievers in crates to put inside the uhaul truck im renting? Im afraid they will not have enuf air, or that it will be too hot. Is this safe? Has anyone done this before? Im driving from oregon to kentucky with a friend...no room in cab??? one is 75#, the other, 110#! The other option was to rent a utility trailer for them and crate them and put them in there??? Worried bout the fumes? Please Help!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues