Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 PM

986 posts, read 2,803,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof11 View Post
We used ABF and it was the one bright spot in a very stressful move. They did everything they said they would do and even kept our truck at their yard for 4 extra days without charging us extra. We moved when the gas prices were very high, I don't think we could have managed a drive it ourselves any cheaper.
I really have to agree with this..we used ABF when we moved from NJ to AZ 6 months ago. It was one of the best parts of that big move. I would recommend ABF for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 PM

93 posts, read 417,030 times
Run - don't walk - to MovingScam.com. I've found that site to be absolutely packed with great information.

MovingScam also endorses moving companies, and only does that after receiving a certain number of glowing reviews about them. I've gotten quotes from ABF for their relo cubes and trailer, PODS, Moovers.com, Broadway Express, and 1 800 Pack Rat. I am moving from San Jose, CA to Tampa, FL at the end of April. I live by myself in a 3 bedroom house but have the equivalent of a little less than a 2 bedroom apartment - so far Moovers.com has been my favorite in regards to customer service. I received really good quotes price-wise from ABF and Broadway Express, but then I found out from Broadway Express that I absolutely HAVE to be present when my belongings arrive in Tampa as early as 5 days from the day they depart San Jose, and I may not be there. I'm driving across the country with my sister and my pets in a mini-van, and I'm sure it will take longer than 5 days.

Moovers has excellent reviews on MovingScam, and I'm getting a binding quote from them in about a week. I've been very impressed with them.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,916,337 times
When we moved in 04 from FL to NM, we used ABF. They parked the truck in the street in front of our house for 3 days... maybe that's a new policy?

On another move, our stuff (furniture mostly) was damaged BADLY by Bekins when we had them store it for 6 months during the move. After 1 1/2 years of listening to the moving company and storage company blame each other over who was at fault, I finally dropped it. Of course, I was MUCH younger then.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:29 AM

32 posts, read 91,615 times
Default Abf

We used ABF a number of years ago while renting an apartment. We actually rented a truck packed everything up and drove it to the ABF center - unpacked and repacked it in the ABF container. The ABF people drove it to our new are (1000+ miles away). We drove to our new area in our car. Once getting there we rented another truck and unpacked and packed it ourselves.

Does that sound tiring? It was It did save us quite a bit of money and that was in our younger days - LOL! Everything arrived okay and nothing was broken. I would recommend them but doing the door to door option.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 PM

97 posts, read 215,969 times
Here's another one to try: Smart Move. I've called about six different places that have eh POD type of containes. For me, Smart Move had the best prices. We are moving from Pittsburgh to Florida, and have to store things for about a year. They will drop off container whre you want to load it, leave it for up to 28 days, and then transport. They also have terminal storagei if you need it (They have partnered with UPS). Their storage rates are 2/day per unit. They will also load, and unload. They wre very nice on giving a quote, separately, for everything I asked.

Suprisingly, though, I have a comparable rate from a local Mayflower dealer. It only about $400 less for them to store, and then deliver directly when I am ready. And YEAH they do the work.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:42 PM
TCK

166 posts, read 564,199 times
Default Over the last 8 years

In 2001, I moved from FL to NM and used a Penske truck. Got a flat tire on a Sunday afternoon late. Everything was closed but Penske told us where to go and a guy came and opened up his shop. He did not have the tires we needed but called and made arrangements for someone else to open up. So it was an okay experience.

Then in 2008, I ordered the biggest size PODS (going back to FL) and I cannot praise PODS enough. It cost me a little over $3K and that was for storing it in Albuquerque storage for about a month and then delivering to FL.
It is fascinating to see them drop it off and pick it up (the kids in the neighborhood gather to watch). My favorite....PODS.

All my friends that are realtors say ABF but I don't like time limits on how fast I can load...so PODS worked best for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues