Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 PM

39 posts, read 679,255 times

Advertisements

Well, I would not mind moving back so much but the schools are horrible. The highest test score is 10 percent below the state average. And that is the highest test score! The school my kids are at now have way above average ratings and I just get worried that they will not be learning as much as they could be because of the low test scores at this school. As is for the rest of the schools in this area.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:43 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,635,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopeedew View Post
I truly hate the rain, but feel like many people live where they don't want to, and maybe I should move back? Any suggestions?
I moved to a city that, at the time, I thought was the right city for me. It was close to family, it had better options for my field, and it was supposed to be a fun city. I knew ahead of time that the weather wasn't great and the cost of living would be high. But it was only after moving here that I realized just how badly I underestimated things. The cost of living is high enough where I feel like I can't afford to live close enough to the city or where the jobs are, effectively nullifying two of my reasons for moving. As for being close to family, but it's hardly a short drive. In the same amount of time, I could drive to the airport, park, take the shuttle and fly. If you regret moving, do what I do and treat it as a learning experience. It's only after living here do I realize the importance of doing thorough research. I also realized that being in a big, exciting city isn't always worth the price you pay.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 PM

276 posts, read 1,458,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
the big problem is that America is full of people who have bounced around from place to place their whole adult lives.

No one has any real roots laid down anywhere... except with their families, who they were so desperate to get away from.

As for "I couldn't find a job in my area"... no, often what people mean is "couldn't find a job that would enable me to buy a home theater system"...

And then they marry people not from their own area, where they do have family roots, and it causes strain.

Yo, America! STAY PUT for a while. Find a spot, make it better. Stop moving around looking for the perfect place because you're never going to find it!

Well that certainly is one way to limit the opportunities in life not only for yourself, but also for your children. I thank God my parents didn't have that mentality!

Ann in Oriental - Your right - I do realize how lucky we are to be moving to an area that many people would love to live. I'm just an east coast girl at heart. But willing to give the West a fair shake, I guess .

Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times
With all this hail and tornados I'm really questioning my move to OK.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 12,037 times
Ohh, I know the feeling. I moved away from Fredericksburg, Va to my birthplace Slovakia. It was my worst decision, ever. I lost my job, my good friends, I gave up the University, and placed myself into a horrible situation. Well, it has been already two years, since I left the States. Ever since that time, I am trying to find the ideal place for me where I could live in peace. So, now I am trying to relocate somewhere; just get away as quick as I can from this place, but it is not easy. I tryed to live in Spain; Wales, and Hungary. Still without any success. I just could not find the connection with any of these countries. I guess, I left my heart in Virginia.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:53 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,514,671 times
^ have you considered moving back?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
Yes. I moved to Texas from SoCal. I thought I wanted to be in Texas - we had a beautiful home custom built with everything we ever wanted in it - but after a week or so, we realized we didn't like it there. After 9 months we moved back to SoCal. But it wasn't just not liking Texas - my husband couldn't get medical insurance coverage in Texas. He had an operation at least 10 years prior to moving to Texas, yet all the insurance companies in Texas considered his operation a "pre-existing condition". Luckily for us, we never canceled our Kaiser insurance in CA - just in case. We are happy as clams to be back in SoCal. We won't take it for granted anymore.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
Many people are in a bad place between where they want to be and where they need to be.
Wow. That's very profound. I like it.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,152 times
In answer to the question, I am currently living where I don't want to be. My husband in a So Cal. man, and I'm from Oregon originally. I miss my sisters and Mom, and want to go back there, but he hates the rain. Really it has put a huge strain on the relationship for years in that I gave it a shot and have moved where he would like, but he refuses to do the same and even try it for a year.
I suggest somewhere in between as a compromise. North Cal, Reno, Southern Oregon? I tried those myself, but no go. Maybe you'll have more luck

Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times
Default Possum Burgers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous4759U View Post
KY: bluegrass heaven, possum burgers, now unpredictable weather -- no flimsy house, otherwise okay. ymouse
Now, I was born and raised in KY for 44 years and NEVER heard of possum burgers!!! Try the bigger cities--Louisville or Lexington for a little cosmopolitan life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.