Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:15 PM

840 posts, read 760,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I honestly can't find anywhere I want to be anymore. The research and trips to a particular area are supposed to make you feel more comfortable about a particular move. But all it seems to do is turn me into a shut-in.
I kind of feel that way too.....I think it takes a while to really feel comfortable somewhere. But for me it gets harder as I get older.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:04 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
I'm a so cal native.. lived here my whole life and I'm 51. I'm dying to escape this Hell hole what most people call paradise. Maybe because I remember what it used to be like here when I was young. The traffic is unbearable. I'm a conservative surrounded by crazy liberals. The politicians are destroying CA. The only reason I'm still here is I work in a family business and my dad who's 90 refuses to retire and needs me to help him. I really want to move to Tucson the people are so friendly, I love dry hot weather, the real estate is affordable as is most everything else. I love the desert landscape, I just feel at peace and home there. I'm getting my exit plan in place and fixing up my house so I can cash out and leave asap.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:57 PM

44 posts, read 63,980 times
HA! Tucson....me as well....I grew up there and since have spent the last 27 years living in Seattle. Never appreciated Tucson as a kid, but being older, I certainly do now... So done with Seattle for many reasons. I visited Tucson twice last year after not seeing it since 1987. It was great seeing the mountains again. If you want hot and dry AND WINDY?....you got it. Tucson has some great food, too BTW. I hope to be there in the next 6 months or so... Good luck to you!

Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I honestly can't find anywhere I want to be anymore. The research and trips to a particular area are supposed to make you feel more comfortable about a particular move. But all it seems to do is turn me into a shut-in.
Hubs and I can relate!

Old 03-29-2017, 07:22 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Hubs and I can relate!
At this point, I'm thinking that having the right job could make anywhere feel a little nicer. Still putting in apps with trucking outfits in the Denver area that have given my inquiries that time of day. I've heeded all the warnings about the costs and such. But for now, that seems to be the only area giving me any sort of chance.
Phoenix has been kind of dead with call-backs, and judging from the Austin thread on the General US section, a bunch of nasties down towards there guarding it with their arms crossed. Visited the Austin area plenty of times for social, bicycle cruise rides. But as much as I wanted to move down there the past year, the commentary towards new-comers down there seems a tad more hostile than anything I've read up on Denver. Especially towards the idea of ditching the motor vehicle for strict bicycle transport.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 PM

876 posts, read 813,348 times
I've been everywhere and they all suck. JK, but what's absolutely true is that there is no bargain place to live left.

Everyplace is priced exactly where it should be. You can live in the the south and midwest for a fraction of what you'll pay on the coasts. But good paying jobs are a hard to come by, weather is either too hot, cold, snowy, icy or humid most of the year. The red states are actually populated by a LOT of rednecks. I know you are not one, but the other guy is.

So I just live where the weather and local geography suit me. Anywhere on the west coast within 20 miles of the Pacific. I avoid commuting hassles for the most part by living near where I work.

Last edited by A1eutian; 03-29-2017 at 11:22 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 01:32 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I moved to Oahu for the longest year of my life.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:18 AM

876 posts, read 813,348 times
Hunterseat, can you go into any more detail about why Oahu was a bad year? Hawaii is my birth state, but it's been decades since I lived there.

It's been somewhere I've dreamed of living but also I realize it could be too ,hot and humid, expensive, and crowded for my liking. The main reason I'd like to live there is that I would be able to blend in to the culture being an Asian/white person. For the first time ever, I'd like to be in the MAJORITY!

So I'm saving it for the last place I'll ever live, after I start drawing social security, I feel like it's possible I could eke out a meager living. But it could just be a pipe dream, the reality might not be that great.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:58 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
We live in NC. It is a nice place, but not "home." We have been here over 11 years and every year I talk to my husband about moving back to CA. And every year there has been a reason not to. I am not blaming him, there have been valid reasons, job promotions and needing more experience, me staying home with the kids a while, one of our sons has special needs and we have gotten good help here, and then the kids got older and didn't want to move as they felt NC was "home."

But it looks like the end of our time here and we are indeed looking at moving back to CA! I am very excited. I am a West Coast girl and the East is just not the same.

Long story, but DH has hit the ceiling of what he can do here job wise, which was ok, until they told him they may be cutting positions and he may be transferred. And I have returned to work and am realizing my retirement is tied up in CA and is better there. And now the older two kids are saying they really would like to go to college in CA as the programs they want are more prevalent there. And my parents are not in good health and it would be nice to be closer to them.

Now, before anyone jumps on me......I KNOW CA isn't perfect. But it is where I want to live and enjoy living and feel most like ME. In NC I feel like I am dying on the vine. We have made the best of it for over 10 years but it is time to move on.

So, yes, I am living where I don't want to live, but I see an end in sight! It will either be this summer or next summer, depending on my husband's job situation. The kids would like to wait one more year to finish up an AA degree and a high school diploma.....but we may have to move anyway.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:19 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
OHHHH I'm a bit similar - I grew up in California (Santa MOnica then Sacramento) and moved to Seattle ...geez it's be 5 years. And I HATE it here.

FINALLY we are moving - with no jobs, and selling our house. I feel awful like I'm putting my family in jeopardy - but I really need to get out of WAshington.

So Yes, 5 years ago I moved here and I didn't want to - but I was in love and we bought our first home. It seemed like a great idea but within 30 days of being here - I realized what a huge mistake it was.

It's taken 5 years and many many many many arguments with my husband to FINALLY get hi on board to move.
Good luck moving without a job lined out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues