Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:40 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,611,562 times

Advertisements

To move a single wide mobile home? It is around 6-8 miles away. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,815,215 times
Best way to check is to call someone that moves them.
Heres some ways to save yourself money also. Take the skirting off, make sure the axels and tires are on it. Make sure sewer,electric,water,gas line and anything else that is attached are undone and off. Or is anything else attached to it? How about taking it off the blocks or foundation and how to do it?
If there is airconditioner or swamp cooler is on it maybe take them off. Can it be moved down the road to your new spot?-turns, power lines,phone lines or anything else above the road. Does it need to be turned around when it gets to the new spot? Any room to do it? Do the taxes need paid on it before it is moved? Do you need a moving permit? Do you need pilot cars to move with? Answers to these questions will save you money indeed.
I have seen it done with a farm tractor with a ball on it and two cars with their flashers on. One on each end of the trailer and tractor. Pee-oh's alot of local traffic but oh well..Ha,ha,ha.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:38 AM

Thank you so much for responding!
Yes, we are wanting to move to the country, which is only about 7 miles from here. We are going to call a few movers, to get an estimate on the cost. I appreciate your advice. We will keep that in mind. Thank you.
I guess our first step would be to call the movers.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:16 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,815,215 times
Glad I could help

Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 PM

253 posts, read 803,946 times
Default agrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Best way to check is to call someone that moves them.
Heres some ways to save yourself money also. Take the skirting off, make sure the axels and tires are on it. Make sure sewer,electric,water,gas line and anything else that is attached are undone and off. Or is anything else attached to it? How about taking it off the blocks or foundation and how to do it?
If there is airconditioner or swamp cooler is on it maybe take them off. Can it be moved down the road to your new spot?-turns, power lines,phone lines or anything else above the road. Does it need to be turned around when it gets to the new spot? Any room to do it? Do the taxes need paid on it before it is moved? Do you need a moving permit? Do you need pilot cars to move with? Answers to these questions will save you money indeed.
I have seen it done with a farm tractor with a ball on it and two cars with their flashers on. One on each end of the trailer and tractor. Pee-oh's alot of local traffic but oh well..Ha,ha,ha.
true, a company that moves them is your best call, now, if your already in the country, meaning roads and little traffic, and maybe even in a small town, the getten someone with a big truck or HD tractor and provided your not moving a huge trailer, they may be able to do it under the table so to speak, maybe even get the local bear to be out there to be sure it goes safely.

if your moving it beyond those conditions, you best follow this posters advice and get a pro mover, permits, etc, it wont be pretty if you bust a power line, over wieght on a bridge or worse yet, dump it in a ditch. better to be safe then sorry. but if i recall when my parents was looken to move theirs, a couple miles like that may only run few hundred to a thousand.best of luck to you!!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:20 PM

27 posts, read 198,948 times
Make sure to find out if there are any fees for using the roads (county, city and state could all be different fees) and ask if there are any 'school impact fees' - I honestly don't remember what that was for.. something about moving a home thru a county - but it wasn't an expense I was expecting.

Also, I always call 3 different professionals when I'm trying to get something done. The first one I totally pick their brains; the second one I go to with a little bit of knowledge and they usually expand on it; by the third one I have a pretty good idea what questions to ask, and they're usually a lot more candid because I actually sound like I know something about the subject - and I typically get a pretty good deal too boot.

Good luck and happy moving..

Old 02-24-2009, 05:49 PM

Thanks! We called this professional company, and they gave us an estimate around 3,800 -4000. That is moving it, setting it up, and all.
course, we would have to have someone do all that.
We are looking into the permit thing. They are going to inspect the sewer first thing. We are excited about this move, so i hope it doesn`t cost us a fortune in the long run.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,164,172 times
Been there done that. Took six hours to move it less than 10 miles. cost 1k 20 years ago. Besised power lines, there is always a problem with corners. Farmers are very rsistent to movers who take down there fences and do not put them back or, do not put them back up correctly. Many a company has been sued by a farmer because of a dumb driver. If you are moving a 16x 80 the best thing you can do it let the professionals do it. Where ever you move it, you DO WANT it toed down ever 5--6 feet.

What you do wnat to do is take everything off every shelf and pack it. Hanging close are okay. pulll drawers out and put them on the floor. Remove all light bulb inside and out. Revmove every glass light fixture, inside and out. Wrap glasses, cups, dishes and anything else that will break in paper and pack it. Shades come off lights. lights are packed. Empty the medicine cabinets. pack pots and pans. If you take the time to pack like you are moving to the moon, you will not break or lose anything. If you don't you will sorely regret it. I broke two things in 50 years if nnivubg,
Move the heaviest and the most boxes to the forward most room by the tongue. Your washer and druer should move fine. You can pack a lot of things in them that are NOT breakable. The linen closest and pantry have to be emptied too. Tools have to be boxed and secured. Tie double doors like the ones under the kitchen sink toether with string. Pack all the laundry soap and bleach too.
Put the bleach and the valuables in the car with you. Empty the icebox and clean it if necessary. GEt some ductape and tape the refrigerator doors shut. If you have a freezer, tape te door ****. The food will be fine. And before you leave, shut every door tight.

When mobiles are moved everything vibrates, swings, moves with every bump, pothole, hill and turn. Unsecured doors swing open and bang into another one. drawers open and fall out, sliding doors slide, hanging fixtures swing like they are in an earthquake. Medicine doors open. Toilet seats pop up and down. boxes fall, lamps roll off the sofa, matresses fall of the bed. Your air condiioner and steps will go inside. The porch will be pulled on a flabet by a second vehicle.

If this is going to be permaent placement, build the block foundation before you move itand have your utilites in place. It is not an easy job or moch fun. Believe me when I say this is a separate issue. By doing so the mobile is attached to the ground as the wheels, tires and axels are off, but you then qualify for regular house insurance. Be smart and keep the axels, tongue, wheel and tires because if you ever decide to move it, those items will cost an arm an a leg. Do not let tires lay on the ground to rot. Put them in a storage shed on a palatte. The rest is steel, it will rust, not rot.

You will spend the first night in a motel. It will not be set up with utilities connected the first day. What you might be able to do is unpack unbreakables once the toter is gone. But remember it is not tied down, nor is it stable, yet. Tread gently. If you do not want to leave it vacant the first night, let hubby sleep on the sofa. He can go outside easier than you can..Do not open any window in the mobile before you move in. Do it the next day. You do not want to leave an open invitation to critters or the curious.

If you do all these things, and you hire professional movers with a good reputation, and you pay a little more, you will not have a nightmare to clean up after or one to remember.

One other thing, if you do not know anything about disconnecting power, or water, or the sewer pipe, it is not a do it yourself job. What you can do yourself is remove skiring, and tie-downs. Leave the rest to the movers. They can disconnect and be hooked up at lightening speed. They will carry the siding - which will probably not fit - too.

As long as you are aware of everything that has to be done, and that you will probably spend on night in a motel, and it will take as long to put it back toghter, as it did to take it apart, you will be just FINE,

Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 PM

27 posts, read 198,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Be smart and keep the axels, tongue, wheel and tires because if you ever decide to move it, those items will cost an arm an a leg.
If you hire a professional, make sure they don't try to load your wheels and axels on their truck as they're leaving. I had two different drivers at different times try to do that with mine. The first time I was annoyed.. the second time I was pissed. But when I finally got rid of my trailer, it left on its very own wheels and axels, thank you very much..

Old 02-25-2009, 05:12 AM

I appreciate the advice!
I should also mention, that this property has had a septic/sewer on it before, but its been years since anyone has lived on it. Would you recommend for us to try to find the old one, or spend the money to get a new one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues