Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:02 AM

55 posts, read 205,132 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if all of you live near family or have moved somewhere else in the country. I live in NH and mostly all of my family is here. I would like to move to a warmer climate. I'm a little nervous to do this but am sick of long cold and snowy winters. The tough part would be moving away with our 2 year old daughter. I was thinking about visiting back home at least 3 times per year. If we lived in NC we could drive home in about 13 hours. I want to be far enough away from NH to have the weather change so I wanted to stay NC and south or west too.

I think it would be manageable if I could come back home 3 times per year. That's what I keep telling myself.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 PM

101 posts, read 297,755 times
I am leaving Seattle next week, heading for warmer weather. I struggled with this very issue, worrying about how my move would affect those close to me. In the end, it came down to doing what was right for me, what I needed for my own health and well being. I am useless to those I love if I am unhappy and ill. For me, I will never be able to make everyone happy, my move will not sit well with everyone. But, thems the breaks folks. I'm not trying to be unkind or thoughtless, I took many months to make up my mind. It will all work out, everyone will survive.
Travel is so easy these days and you will be within driving distance it sounds like. The internet is so great for sending pictures and daily communication.

Do what is right for you and your family.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 PM

Thanks Christy for the reply!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,619 times
I think it is a great way to gain life experience and see other places!

My father lives in California and I live in Oklahoma. My mother lives an hour and a half from me. My father could (and sometimes can) never understand why I would want to live in Oklahoma. This is the area that makes me the most happiest...and I think he is finally seeing my happy verses what makes him happy.

Best of luck!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:01 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Well, as someone who is 51 and DID NOT move away, I really wish I had. When I was 18 I wanted to go to UCLA and instead I went to school close to home. Nothing wrong with that, I just always wanted to go someplace else for warmer weather and to have the experience and I never did. Then once I had kids and they were in school, I didn't want to uproot them. I do like where I live but I've never experienced living anywhere besides Kansas and Missouri and I've always longed to be where it's wrong. Now my kids are mostly grown but my parents are aging and now I feel like I need to stay near them. So I think when I get the chance, after my parents are gone, I'm going to look into finding the kind of place I've always dreamed of living. But really I wish I had moved when I was young.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:23 PM

339 posts, read 1,168,914 times
I have lived away from my family for 8 years now - I left when I was 21 and I haven't returned (except for visits). First I was a 3 hour flight away and now a 12 hour flight away. My husbands family are 22 hours of flying away in the opposite direction! We have a toddler, too.

From my experience, being away has made me realise the good things about home and family and forget the bad. When I go back or they come here we enjoy time together, its like we are on holiday and there is no time for the mundane, for arguing, etc. Basically, I would rather have quality time with my family 3 times a year than to be with them all the time and not appreciate them so much.

To contrast, my husbands brother lives right near his mother and they see each other all the time since she babysits for them every week, but in my opinion they don't appreciate it much and are always working so never seem to have quality time with each other. When we see them, we always have fun, and we have lots of great memories.

All the good things about being where we have chosen to be outweigh the bad things about being so far from family, in my book. We do our own thing, we don't have influence from our family and we get to have so many new and exciting experiences. So if it's what you want, then go for it!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 PM

Thanks again everyone! It gets me excited to read all of these positive posts. I know I need to do what is right for my family!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,978,681 times
My two cents ... in 1997 we moved away from where we'd grown up and where our friends and family still reside ... although we miss them terribly, the visits are super sweet. Plus the internet is your friend - I chat with my father every day, so it honestly doesn't feel like I'm a gazillion miles away.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyrose View Post
Just wondering if all of you live near family or have moved somewhere else in the country. I live in NH and mostly all of my family is here. I would like to move to a warmer climate. I'm a little nervous to do this but am sick of long cold and snowy winters. The tough part would be moving away with our 2 year old daughter. I was thinking about visiting back home at least 3 times per year. If we lived in NC we could drive home in about 13 hours. I want to be far enough away from NH to have the weather change so I wanted to stay NC and south or west too.

I think it would be manageable if I could come back home 3 times per year. That's what I keep telling myself.
I would say try it and see how it goes. Especially, while your child(ren) are young. Keep in mind once they are school age and into their activites, finding time to travel home will become more difficult.

You can always move back......remember that. The chance for a better life for you is out there - go grab it!! Good luck

Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 AM

749 posts, read 1,789,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
I have lived away from my family for 8 years now - I left when I was 21 and I haven't returned (except for visits). First I was a 3 hour flight away and now a 12 hour flight away. My husbands family are 22 hours of flying away in the opposite direction! We have a toddler, too.

From my experience, being away has made me realise the good things about home and family and forget the bad. When I go back or they come here we enjoy time together, its like we are on holiday and there is no time for the mundane, for arguing, etc. Basically, I would rather have quality time with my family 3 times a year than to be with them all the time and not appreciate them so much.

To contrast, my husbands brother lives right near his mother and they see each other all the time since she babysits for them every week, but in my opinion they don't appreciate it much and are always working so never seem to have quality time with each other. When we see them, we always have fun, and we have lots of great memories.

All the good things about being where we have chosen to be outweigh the bad things about being so far from family, in my book. We do our own thing, we don't have influence from our family and we get to have so many new and exciting experiences. So if it's what you want, then go for it!
Great post! I agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.