Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 12:38 PM

453 posts, read 1,530,348 times

Advertisements

I just called them for a quote and got the rudest rep ever.

I know we will need 2 pods as we've had 8000lb estimates from movers, and the PODS have a 6000lb limit. Their quote is about 2K higher for one pod than I got for ABF or Old Dominion freight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 10,139 times
Default Which company do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
Maybe the difference is where you live? The lowest quote I got of $7k did NOT include packing. We lived in NJ....seems like moving costs are different in GA.

Again, 1 POD for a 1600sf home (we also donated alot of stuff before moving and my dh is a master packer), we paid about $300 at drop off of the POD. Then about $200/month in NJ storage and when we moved to NC, we had the POD moved to storage in Raleigh (no cost to us) and then upon delivery (4 months later) we paid another $1,100. That was it. I have the receipts. Add to that the laborers we hired (2 guys for 4 hours at $270) twice.

Lauren
I know it's been a while ago, but do you remember the name of the company you used?

Any recommendation would help. I don't want to pull a uhaul if I don't have to. This time I want "easy" at the cheapest possible rate.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 7,009 times
Default Pods is ridiculous.....for me

I was moving from Panama City, FL to Jacksonville, FL. 298 miles. When I moved the opposite way i rented a Uhaul and the whole trip was about $700 including gas. I dont want to move everthnig back (4bd3ba 2,200sq ft 2car garage) sme amount as we came with ythough.

I called pods first because I DO need to store my things until the new house is ready. $3,800!!!!!! what the #$%^???? For two Pods they want me to pay 3,800. that loading and unloading yourself. EVERY moving company(the big semitruck ones) was between $2,200 and $2,500. Thats them packing your boxes, loading those boxes, dismantling furniture, and re assmebling at location.. I am obviously going to call PODS back and tell them they need to go WAY lower. like somewhere around $2,000 grand.

I mean all they do it drop off a BOX and pick it up later and move it.....Am i missing something? Maybe they think their niche is a little TOO valuable? will let you know what happens when we finally move.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,992,196 times
You could get an actual storage unit. I think I paid around $500 to Two Men and a Truck to move my stuff into a storage unit. They did all the heavy lifting. My stuff would have only filled 1 pod though. Either way, you won't save that much money over a POD. You could look into different companies though. United Mayflower, Pack Rat, etc.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,471 times
Can anyone tell me what the cost of picking up and moving a POD is? I got a quote for monthly storage and the initial delivery of the POD but nowhere on the website could I find any prices for what comes after that. How much will I have to pay to get my POD moved to my new location?

Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,068,766 times
Using PODS is like using ABF but paying more.

If you want the PODS service, contact ABF and you'll get a slightly higher quality container and a bill that is about 30% lower. I don't like their storage costs and wouldn't use that, but I've used ABF twice to make long distance moves.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 6,303 times
There is one thing that I know, when using a moving company have the quote in writing because I was quoted one price over the phone and of course on my way from Mn to Tx they said that my things weight was more then they thought and quoted a different price and demanded that they get paid in cash before they took my things off the truck. A real bad experience and now I am moving back from Tx to Mn and after reading all the things I did about PODS it sounds like that is the only way to go. Thanks everyone for your advice.KSJ

Old 03-19-2015, 09:08 AM

105 posts, read 273,708 times
I've used ABF relocubes twice before and we need to use them again in a couple months. I called them and got a quote and it was a little more than I am used to. I decided to give Pods a call and their quote actually came out a little bit cheaper. I contacted ABF back and gave them the Pods quote and they were more than willing to compete and came out $400 cheaper than my previous quote from them! Their customer service is second to none. I will recommend ABF all day long.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:56 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,010,172 times
When I moved last Fall I had planned on using ABF. I had tracked their prices for about 6 months, but they had gone up a lot right when I was going to book them! About doubled in a month. So I ended up going with PackRat who dropped their price by a few thousand dollars to be competitive with Penske, who I was considering to rent a truck from for the move. I could not get the local ABF to move from their on-line quote at all.

In the end try negotiating a lower rate with whoever you are talking to. If you get someone who wants to job they can go down.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:39 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,566,836 times
We used ABF U-Pack and the customer service was exceptional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues