Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:33 PM

74 posts, read 141,476 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed their service when we used them. The tops of the units are not metal covered, but do protect against the weather. I felt it was a little pricey but for the convenience of being able to load it up at my own pace was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 06:28 AM

3 posts, read 10,823 times
I'm using PODS later this month for the first time for a cross country move east to west coast and am wondering about how well I need to pack for the POD. I've had some truly horrible moving experiences in the past with full service movers. In all the cases of damage it was fairly obvious that it was from mishandling (gouged boxes, cracked furniture etc). So given that I am going to be the only one handling most of my belongings, can I be a little more cavalier in how I pack? I mean, as long as I have blankets over things I don't want scratched, sufficient padding on electronics, and everything immobilized as best I can using the rope and eyelets in the POD, can I be more aggressive with packing the box for quantity than I would be if packing for movers to handle? How bumpy a ride can I expect the POD to have on it way across the country. I'm worried most about my home theater components and speakers and plasma television, and computer.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:25 AM

9 posts, read 27,021 times
OK, I KNOW PODS corporate says NO MOTORCYCLES but Im pretty sure a Relo-cube wont fit my bike, even diagonally. The photo that Relo-cube shows is a SPORTSTER not a full size Harley like mine. That said, has anyone ever used PODS for a bike on the QT (since they supposedly dont look inside or pre-inspect contents).
Also, it seems that I can NEVER get a straight answer from corporate regarding CONTENT weight limit. I have spoke with the managers at both points of this move and they both assure me the Podzilla can handle 10,000 lbs max. 2500 for the POD (16ft) and 7500 for the remainder. MORE than enough for my bike, a small tilt-up trailer, toolbox and the rest of my stuff. No furniture to speak of. Corporate says 4000 lbs max in a 16 foot.
The new Generation 6 (16ft) is all steel with good solid D-ring tie-downs throughout. I would have preferred the ETRACK version. So my questions are:
1. Has anyone shipped a bike in a PODS without them knowing?
2. Has anyone gotten double-talk from corporate on weight limits?
3. Is PODS still offering AAA discounts?
Thanks in advance. Feel free to message me also.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:14 AM

12 posts, read 51,276 times
Post Old Dominion

I am looking at prices right now to move from Army Base in Maryland to Air Force base in Georgia. I am not getting PCS relocation $ (I am a civilian employee) on this job transfer.

Anyway, I am not sure what the weights are for PODs, but Old Dominion has on their FAQ section that each linear foot is equivalent to 825 lbs. Hence, my last change of permanent duty station, I had 15,000 lbs (using this to gauge cost), hence I would need a 18 foot truck.

Maybe you could use 825 lbs/linear foot to assist with your calculation.

Does anyone know if OD offers a military discount?

Pack Rat discount 10% (twice as much as ABF/U-Pack) Quoted: $3300 w/discount, 16 foot truck 1.888.329.4831

ABF/U-Pack discount $50 off. $1382 w/ discount for 17 foot truck 1.877.706.6448

OD (not sure of the discount if any): Quoted: $1574.45 for 18 foot trailer space, each additional linear foot is $27.82. They are not open on weekends. (www.odmove.com/ODMove/) 1.877.358.6928

PODS not sure. They look like they cost more!

As of now, I am thinking of going with Old Dominion just in case I need larger than 17 foot truck and pay for loading/unloading service.

ArmyWifeMBA

Old 05-21-2016, 12:20 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWifeMBA View Post
I am looking at prices right now to move from Army Base in Maryland to Air Force base in Georgia. I am not getting PCS relocation $ (I am a civilian employee) on this job transfer.

Anyway, I am not sure what the weights are for PODs, but Old Dominion has on their FAQ section that each linear foot is equivalent to 825 lbs. Hence, my last change of permanent duty station, I had 15,000 lbs (using this to gauge cost), hence I would need a 18 foot truck.

Maybe you could use 825 lbs/linear foot to assist with your calculation.

Does anyone know if OD offers a military discount?

Pack Rat discount 10% (twice as much as ABF/U-Pack) Quoted: $3300 w/discount, 16 foot truck 1.888.329.4831

ABF/U-Pack discount $50 off. $1382 w/ discount for 17 foot truck 1.877.706.6448

OD (not sure of the discount if any): Quoted: $1574.45 for 18 foot trailer space, each additional linear foot is $27.82. They are not open on weekends. (www.odmove.com/ODMove/) 1.877.358.6928

PODS not sure. They look like they cost more!

As of now, I am thinking of going with Old Dominion just in case I need larger than 17 foot truck and pay for loading/unloading service.

ArmyWifeMBA
FWIW, both ABF and OD use 28 foot trailers, not trucks. You pay for what you use, they fill the rest with their own freight going the same direction as your move. Both should offer you a per foot add-on rate if you need more than what the quote calls for.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:41 AM

73 posts, read 92,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider951 View Post
OK, I KNOW PODS corporate says NO MOTORCYCLES but Im pretty sure a Relo-cube wont fit my bike, even diagonally. The photo that Relo-cube shows is a SPORTSTER not a full size Harley like mine. That said, has anyone ever used PODS for a bike on the QT (since they supposedly dont look inside or pre-inspect contents).
Also, it seems that I can NEVER get a straight answer from corporate regarding CONTENT weight limit. I have spoke with the managers at both points of this move and they both assure me the Podzilla can handle 10,000 lbs max. 2500 for the POD (16ft) and 7500 for the remainder. MORE than enough for my bike, a small tilt-up trailer, toolbox and the rest of my stuff. No furniture to speak of. Corporate says 4000 lbs max in a 16 foot.
The new Generation 6 (16ft) is all steel with good solid D-ring tie-downs throughout. I would have preferred the ETRACK version. So my questions are:
1. Has anyone shipped a bike in a PODS without them knowing?
2. Has anyone gotten double-talk from corporate on weight limits?
3. Is PODS still offering AAA discounts?
Thanks in advance. Feel free to message me also.
From our experience, the PODS pickup guy did not look inside or even open the door, he just wanted to make certain we had good locks on the door. As to the weight, he mentioned the limit, which I did not retain since I knew we would not reach it, but somehow I get the impression that the weight limit has to due with the capabilities of the PODZILLA to lift it to the truck bed??? That is where they can refuse to take it, methinks.
That said, the most important thing for successful transport in any container, trailer, etc. is the stability of the load. As in, our furniture in the PODS was packed to the gills, with boards and straps between the sections. Not one thing was broken or shifted in the trip from Central NY to Tampa area. We transported our own bike in a 6x12 cargo trailer we purchased (multiple trips were necessary, it paid for itself) and using a chock and tiedown straps it didn't wiggle an inch! We packed a ton of stuff around it (including a Grandfather Clock) and then resold it once we were finished with it..
My concern for you is that if the PODS driver had to suddenly brake or swerve and your bike wasn't stable enough, they would not be liable for the damage if it fell over Awful thought!
Best of luck.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:54 AM

73 posts, read 92,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler1974 View Post
I'm using PODS later this month for the first time for a cross country move east to west coast and am wondering about how well I need to pack for the POD. I've had some truly horrible moving experiences in the past with full service movers. In all the cases of damage it was fairly obvious that it was from mishandling (gouged boxes, cracked furniture etc). So given that I am going to be the only one handling most of my belongings, can I be a little more cavalier in how I pack? I mean, as long as I have blankets over things I don't want scratched, sufficient padding on electronics, and everything immobilized as best I can using the rope and eyelets in the POD, can I be more aggressive with packing the box for quantity than I would be if packing for movers to handle? How bumpy a ride can I expect the POD to have on it way across the country. I'm worried most about my home theater components and speakers and plasma television, and computer.
As long as you pack the PODS so things don't shift, or crush items below, and you use straps you should be okay. I suggest shrink wrapping the blankets around the furniture, but not totally, give it some "air" or moisture will build up. There are some great videos on youtube on how to pack the PODS, wrap furniture, etc. and UHaul sells specialty boxes for televisions, etc. (well worth it!!)
Best of luck!

Old 06-13-2016, 01:27 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,765,093 times
PODS has terrible customer service. My sister got a POD, loaded it up, it rained that night and the POD leaked. A bunch of stuff inside was ruined. The insurance they offer is a joke - it does not cover leaks. It only covers damage due to smoke and fire within their storage unit. If they drop the POD, it is not covered. If they lose the POD, it is not covered. I doubt I will use them again. Try PackRat.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:25 PM

50 posts, read 84,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
Maybe the difference is where you live? The lowest quote I got of $7k did NOT include packing. We lived in NJ....seems like moving costs are different in GA.

Again, 1 POD for a 1600sf home (we also donated alot of stuff before moving and my dh is a master packer), we paid about $300 at drop off of the POD. Then about $200/month in NJ storage and when we moved to NC, we had the POD moved to storage in Raleigh (no cost to us) and then upon delivery (4 months later) we paid another $1,100. That was it. I have the receipts. Add to that the laborers we hired (2 guys for 4 hours at $270) twice.

Lauren

where do you find laborers?

Old 09-18-2018, 09:36 PM

50 posts, read 84,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
PODS has terrible customer service. My sister got a POD, loaded it up, it rained that night and the POD leaked. A bunch of stuff inside was ruined. The insurance they offer is a joke - it does not cover leaks. It only covers damage due to smoke and fire within their storage unit. If they drop the POD, it is not covered. If they lose the POD, it is not covered. I doubt I will use them again. Try PackRat.

I got quotes for all 3 for a small 1 bedroom move with no sofas nor dining tables.

PackRat was way more expensive at $2500, UPack was $1500 and Pods was about the same ($1400-$1500) for an interstate 700 mile move. Pods claimed that there small pod can't fit a king size mattress but UPack says yes.... I thought they were about the same size
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues