Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 AM

12,540 posts, read 2,125,436 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for you insight and your kind words. I know I sometimes let my unhappiness get in the way of gratefulness. I am very happy I have the two part-time jobs, especially in this economy. And I'm very thankful I have a place to live. I have applied to several jobs in Houston, but I'm not sure how receptive employers are to applicants from out of state. I've always done clerical/administrative work. My son and I are very close. He is at his first job out of grad school. I for sure don't want to complicate his life, but it would be great just to get together for dinner once in a while. I think I need to make a list like MaggieKate said, and pray about it like my wise son has told me. I guess I'm not very patient. Thanks again everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 07:05 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,684,807 times
Praying is the best thing graytabbie. Only you can make those decisions and knows whats best for you. Do you have friends in Texas? And will your son continue to live in Texas? I would hate to see you move and leave your jobs if eventually your son will leave Texas. Granted he may not know that right now...but its something to think about. I know Missouri is tough...i use to live there for 6 years. But you do have employment and some family. I pray that you do whats best for you...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 AM

177 posts, read 755,111 times
As far as being an out of state applicant, you might have to get a little creative on it. I know that I had a terrible time getting interviews while living out of the area I was relocating to (think I got maybe one). Places just don't take candidates out-of-the-area seriously, unfortunately. You could apply/send a resume using your son's address. Or you could rent a PO Box in Houston. I think one company (think UPS, but don't quote me on it!) lists their boxes as street addresses, so it looks like you actually live there. I don't know if you feel that's dishonest. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with it; it just equalizes the playing field, and it's not like they will go to your son's home and make sure you are living there or anything! With this economy, it's best to have all the cards in your favor that you can!That being said, I wanted to address something else in the posts and responses. Many people have told you to stay put or consider your move more carefully since you do have jobs. But didn't you say these are part-time, minimum-wage jobs? I would think that those might be easier to come by in Houston. Well, easier to come by than if you worked in a really impacted field (like graphic design or something). By all means, try to find a job first, but if you are that unhappy in Missouri, I'm sure you could find comparable jobs out in the Texas area.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:40 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,125,436 times
ablau: Thanks for the address idea! I'll try it next time I apply. I actually brought this up to my son last time I got a "thanks but no thanks" email from a job application. My son works at a hospital so I've been checking out the Texas Medical Center online. At least I know they have benefits. It is correct that I now have 2 part-time jobs, one at minimum wage, the other a few cents above. With both I work 45 hours a week. It took me over a year to get these. Needless to say, I went through quite a chunk of my savings. But I knew the job scene was grim coming in. At least the cost of living is low and I live very simply. My two cats may complicate things a little, but as I check out rentals in Houston there are way more that accept pets than here in Missouri. My son told me this week about an apartment for rent in his complex, so I guess he's not adverse to having me close by...lol. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 PM

596 posts, read 2,866,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
I would welcome insight on this problem...I moved from Texas back to my home state of Missouri after a divorce, because I knew I had a free place to stay (my sister & bro in law and my mom are here). It is very rural and after a year I have 2 part-time jobs at minimum wage, no benefits. I miss my son terribly and wonder if I should move near him in TX where I would (hopefully!) have a better chance at a job with benefits.
Without reading any other posts except for this one above, I can tell you what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would live near my son! I dont know if he is married or single, but either way, there will be grandkids one day and a whole growing extended family there. I would want to be a part of that in a big way. I love my sister to death, but I would leap at the chance to live closer to my kids. Then, I would do some seriously convincing talks to try to get my sister and mother to move closer as well! Nothing beats the sunny south, either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues