Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:34 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times

Advertisements

I recall some friends who moved, and on their moving day they were delayed because they spent several hours cleaning the house they had just sold and closed on. Huh?

What I'm wondering is if there is any expectation when you move out of a house you just sold?

I've been planning my move in my mind, and I expect to have some stuff here that isn't worth anything, and I intend to move it out to the curb and then call the city and request a pickup. Here in L.A. the city provides free pickup of stuff like this, so it won't be any burden on the new owner.

We also have a large amount of people who drive around neighborhoods and pick up stuff they can maybe yard sale, or perhaps sell metal stuff to scrap recyclers, or maybe use it themselves. It's amazing that anything I don't want I just put it at my curb and it magically disappears within about 1 hour to 1 day. I'm pretty sure many of these people are undocumented immigrants, and this is actually a positive benefit of these people being here.

Then I expect to leave behind some other stuff that I think the new owner might be able to use. I'll just leave it in place and if the new owner doesn't want it they can move it to the curb too.

But what is the deal about cleaning? I thought my friends were crazy! I don't intend to leave any bad messes, but I expect my house is going to look like it usually looks several days after my last housecleaning. Like sinks and toilet need a scrub, mirrors and counters too. I'm sure the rug will need vacuuming although I intend to put in a brand new carpet before I put my house up for sale. I certainly don't expect to spend any time cleaning during my last week because I'll be too busy.

So what is the moving etiquette? Is there any expectation that the departing ex-owner is going to do any house cleaning before they leave? I thought my friends were very nice and considerate, but how often do people do stuff like that?

If you have any moving horror stories related to cleaning you want to share it might add interest to my topic, so go ahead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:07 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Ugh, you're going to be leaving hairs in the tub drain, and toothpaste spatters on the sink? I don't even want to think about the toilet. Nasty.
Yes, the house should be clean when you leave it.
I would hope that most people have the common decency to do the same.

It would be considerate of you to ask your buyers if they actually want any of that stuff you plan to leave. If I walked into a new house and found the owner had left me "stuff," I would probably not be very pleased to have to haul it to the curb.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Yes, the seller is generally expected to leave a clean house. Look at it from the other end - do you really want to have to clean your new place before you move in? Would you accept that if you were renting a new place? Why would you expect your buyer to want to have to clean up your mess before they could move in?

If you don't want to do it yourself, just hire someone to come in and clean.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:58 PM

666 posts, read 1,843,506 times
Yes, there is an expectation that the house will be clean when new owners would move in. Is it required? No. Is it common courtesy? Absolutely. Why do you think new owners should have to clean up your mess?

Old 05-10-2009, 01:40 PM

99 posts, read 322,843 times
Default housecleaning

i have moved many times, and can tell you i am absoultely DISGUSTED to move in somewhere that has not been cleaned, it tells me that the person before me lacks common sense, i have heard that a new home owner on occassion has gotten $$ from previous owner for lack of consideration in cleaning up after themselves. i'm not talking washing walls down i'm meaning clean the bathrooms and vac up, a little common sense will go a long way.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
There's only two ways you know how to treat people, how you've been treated yourself, or you ask. It's been some time since I purchased my house, but I recall having to spend several hours the first day cleaning (with some help) but it was still not clean enough that I'd sleep in it, so the next morning I cleaned a few more hours and then moved my stuff in.

As far as leaving stuff behind, I was thinking of things like partial cans of paint that match the interior rooms, for touch up or repair. I was thinking of wood molding and similar stuff used in home improvement, and useful again if any repair is needed. I was thinking of extra sprinkler pipe and sprinkler couplers, elbows, that kind of stuff that always gets used up eventually because sprinklers always break. I was thinking of leaving some large metal shelf units in the garage because they're too big to move, but I guess I can push all the wood and sprinkler pipes and shelves out to the curb and whoever is fastest can have it, or the city will get what's left.

And please excuse my OP not communicating accurately what I meant.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:59 PM

746 posts, read 2,175,459 times
Leaving those type of things behind would not be unusual or inconsiderate. IMHO
However, cleaning is a necessity before walking out the door.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:09 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,835 times
I always leave a place clean. I spend alot of time and money if needed to make sure a place is ready for the new occupants.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:49 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

As far as leaving stuff behind, I was thinking of things like partial cans of paint that match the interior rooms, for touch up or repair. I was thinking of wood molding and similar stuff used in home improvement, and useful again if any repair is needed. I was thinking of extra sprinkler pipe and sprinkler couplers, elbows, that kind of stuff that always gets used up eventually because sprinklers always break. I was thinking of leaving some large metal shelf units in the garage because they're too big to move, but I guess I can push all the wood and sprinkler pipes and shelves out to the curb and whoever is fastest can have it, or the city will get what's left.

And please excuse my OP not communicating accurately what I meant.
I still think asking the new owners would be a nice thing to do.
Most people would probably find those things quite useful and be tickled to have them.
Then there are people like me. Since I'm not much of a DIY person as far as most things go, and I'd rather pick up the phone and call someone, stuff like extra pipe and such is wasted on me.
At my former house the owner left lots of cans of paint, that I never would have used, because one of the first things we did was repaint all the rooms. I was left with some odds and ends, like pieces of sheetrock and plywood too. And a big industrial size fan.
I spent a good afternoon cleaning that stuff out of the garage (truthfully not knowing what about half of it was) and the neighborhood scavengers took it off my curb pretty quickly, LOL.
The only thing I found left in my current house was a big 5 gallon bucket of paint for the basement, that the seller had asked me if I wanted to keep.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:56 PM

948 posts, read 2,790,748 times
It most definitely is a lot to do, but the cleaning should be done. When people move in they generally expect it. Even then many people do once over detail before moving things in - especially cabinets and closets. The new owners will have their hands full moving same as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues