U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 13,536 times

Advertisements

I recently got stopped in a non-CDL required Penske truck at a weigh station in Connecticut. The one thing that everyone is missing is the FMCSA definition of a Commercial Motor Vehicle which is a vehicle with a GVWR of 10001 lbs. or more. These are Federal Regulations not State. Based on this you are required to pull through the station. The Connecticut trooper said they WILL and HAVE chased these vehicles that don't stop. You were lucky that you were never caught. If it is a personel household move you won't have any problems unless you are overweight. We rented a truck to move company property from one state to another. This would be the same truck anyone could rent. When we were stopped I was asked for my log book, DOT physical card and company DOT number. Since I had none of these, I was place out of service for 10 hours and received fines of $400. It was the same truck but with a business purpose. That was the only difference.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 13,096 times
If you are in a truck it's probably best to stop but they may ask you what you're hauling. If it's your household goods they will wave you through. If it's not your personal property you would have to have a log book and follow any other regulations for each state.
Weigh stations not only weigh the truck to make sure they are not too heavy. They weigh each set of axles to make sure they are not over weight. Some have DOT inspections checking things like brakes, air hoses, tires etc... to make sure the truck is safe. They also check permits for the truck and trailer and log books to make sure the driver stay within the required hours of service. Some states have trucks stop so they can check to se if they bought fuel in that state. If a truck does not buy enough fuel to go through the state they state charges them the tax on the fuel they would have used.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,030,848 times
I don't know a single State Trooper or Weights Agent that accepts as an excuse for violating the law: "Officer, you have to ignore my violation because so-and-so on City Data General Moving Forum said I don't have to do it"

The operator of the truck will be held responsible, not some screen name of this board. Unless the person telling you to not worry, ignore the regs is willing to give your their contact information to pay any fine, I wouldn't trust any answer but the one that tells you to check with the enforcement people directly!

Old 03-14-2010, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 12,983 times
Default Personal 30' enclosed trailer and crew cab truck

Hi Im Making a trip to my farm in South Carolina from kansas.And just wondering if i have the right Tags on my truck and trailer. I have a 12m on the truck and a 8 m on the trailer. The truck and trailer weigh 19,200 loaded ready to go. The Truck weighs 7000 pounds and trailer is 12,200 I have never stoped at any scales the hole time i have had this truck and trailer and been to California with it and back. But not with this much weight. I have a Truck and tractor in the trailer. Any help on this would be great Thanks Steve

Old 03-24-2011, 02:14 AM

4 posts, read 16,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by √Član vital View Post
you can claim to be anything here...............but you are wrong about the weigh stations.

OP-you do NOT have to stop at weigh stations.
I have 28 yrs in the moving business,In california you are required to stop at all weigh stations,it clearly states that all rental trucks pull over to the weigh station so every one is wrong,as far as i know california is the only state that requires it,go figure the most regulated state in the world.If they come after you you can expect a spendy violation.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,510 times
I'm moving form GA to NY and renting a 16ft. truck towing a car on a car transporter. I was told by UHaul I do NOT need to stop at weight stations. They suggested that 24ft. and over trucks DO STOP at the first weight station for each state since they will be carrying larger and heavier loads. Hope that helps! Found this list:

Do I have to stop at the weigh station if I ‘m traveling through…
[FONT=&quot]Alabama: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Alaska: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Arizona: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Arkansas: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]California: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Colorado: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Connecticut: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Delaware: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Florida: Yes, and at all Agriculture Inspection Stations[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Georgia: If the truck weighs less than 10,000 lbs., you don’t have to stop.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hawaii: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Idaho: If the truck weighs less than 26,000 lbs., you don’t have to stop.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Illinois: If the truck weighs less than 16,000 lbs., you don’t have to stop.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Indiana: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Iowa: If the truck weighs less than 10,000 lbs., you don’t have to stop.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kansas: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kentucky: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Louisiana: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Maine: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Maryland: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Massachusetts: Yes, if the weigh station lights are flashing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Michigan: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Minnesota: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mississippi: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Missouri: If the truck weighs less than 18,000 lbs., you don’t have to stop.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Montana: If the truck weighs less than 26,000 lbs., you don’t have to stop[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nebraska: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nevada: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New Hampshire: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New Jersey: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New Mexico: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New York: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]North Carolina: If the truck weighs less than 10,000 lbs., you don’t have to stop.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]North Dakota: If the truck weighs less than 26,000 lbs., you don’t have to stop.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ohio: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oklahoma: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Oregon: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pennsylvania: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rhode Island: Rhode Island does not have weigh stations, but does random weighings for commercial trucks. If you happen to be stopped during a random weighing, let the officer know you are doing a personal move and are not traveling “in commerce.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]South Carolina: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]South Dakota: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tennessee: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Texas: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Utah: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Vermont: Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Virginia: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Washington: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]West Virginia: No[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wisconsin: If the truck weighs less than 10,000 lbs., you don’t have to stop.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wyoming: No[/FONT]
Tips for weigh stations and driving a rental truck
[LIST][*]For the states that base your stop on weight (like Idaho and Montana), get your fully loaded truck weighed at a station before you leave your origin state so you don’t have to guess at the weight while you’re on the road.[*]If you’re in doubt about skipping a weigh station, go ahead and stop. If they don’t want you to pass through, they’ll wave you on.[*]Be on the lookout for signs while driving to help guide you to the correct lane if you do have to stop.[/LIST]

Last edited by ABucketOfSmiles; 02-25-2015 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: additional info.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:08 PM

17,351 posts, read 23,110,387 times
I've never stopped in any weigh stations

Old 02-28-2015, 08:29 PM

9,265 posts, read 4,033,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by √Član vital View Post
no, not with personal items. No stopping required
What he said.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:19 AM

3 posts, read 3,833 times
Default Question

So my family and I are renting a 10' uhaul from Roanoke VA to Palmer MA (one way).. We are just moving house hold items cause we are moving.. Do we have to stop at a weigh station? Do we need a medical card??

Old 01-27-2018, 12:19 AM

7,453 posts, read 5,365,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
Law requires you to stop at all weigh stations, I have over 30 years in the moving business. While some peole don't stop, they are taking a chance of getting a ticket. The weigh station don't know what you are hauling or that it is just personal items,They can and some times WILL pull you over.

It depends on the state or province. You have to stop in California. I drove from Alaska to Arizona and never stopped at any weigh station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues