Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:36 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankey50 View Post
So my family and I are renting a 10' uhaul from Roanoke VA to Palmer MA (one way).. We are just moving house hold items cause we are moving.. Do we have to stop at a weigh station? Do we need a medical card??
have made cross country moves a few times due to my job. I always pull through the weigh stations--just in case. Except for California I was waved on through. The exception to stopping was if there were a long line of trucks waiting then I just drove on past and no one ever chased me down.
Also California will sometimes have you open the back doors of the truck. Hauling plants across state lines is apparently a no no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 12:42 PM

529 posts, read 490,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It depends on the state or province. You have to stop in California. I drove from Alaska to Arizona and never stopped at any weigh station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
have made cross country moves a few times due to my job. I always pull through the weigh stations--just in case. Except for California I was waved on through. The exception to stopping was if there were a long line of trucks waiting then I just drove on past and no one ever chased me down.
Also California will sometimes have you open the back doors of the truck. Hauling plants across state lines is apparently a no no.
Okay, in California, if you are not a commercial operation, you do not have to stop at a weigh station. As a matter of fact, they much rather you did not drive through. In other words, if it is you with a rental truck and/or trailer hauling/moving your stuff, you do not need to stop. If there is some reason you catch there attention with obvious weight issues, well, yes they will go after you.

Coming into California, they have everyone stop and you are asked about fruit, plants, stuff like that. It is a control point due to invasive bugs. If you say you have plants, they will inspect to make sure you are not bringing the bugs in. If you don't, they waive you through. It is not a stop for weight, and everyone gets stopped.

Mark

Old 02-03-2018, 06:08 AM

672 posts, read 442,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Okay, in California, if you are not a commercial operation, you do not have to stop at a weigh station. As a matter of fact, they much rather you did not drive through. In other words, if it is you with a rental truck and/or trailer hauling/moving your stuff, you do not need to stop. If there is some reason you catch there attention with obvious weight issues, well, yes they will go after you.

Coming into California, they have everyone stop and you are asked about fruit, plants, stuff like that. It is a control point due to invasive bugs. If you say you have plants, they will inspect to make sure you are not bringing the bugs in. If you don't, they waive you through. It is not a stop for weight, and everyone gets stopped.

Mark
This is not true. I just drove across the country and California had the only truck stop with a sign requiring rental trucks to go to the scales. Fortunately for us it was closed.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:38 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
No, but you do have to stop if it is an Agriculture inspection/ weigh station, there is one at the Florida border and it states all trucks, uhauls etc must stop.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:00 AM

666 posts, read 642,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Élan vital View Post
the DOT has enough to deal with-they aren't worried about families moving. Enough already!
Sure they are if there's revenue to be gained

Old 02-07-2018, 08:55 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,603,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVfatboy View Post
I'm getting ready to move from Virginia to Louisiana. I rented a 16ft Penske truck and car puller. I noticed that they require you to stop at weigh stations. I found a thread on here that says you don't really have to if you are hauling PERSONAL items. I also noticed that they we all pretty talking about different weights and truck sizes. most of the trucks they were talking about were the larger moving trucks. So, with a 16ft truck going from VA to LA will I need to stop in the weigh stations?
Several states DO require rental trucks to stop at weigh stations. Pro trucker here, what they are looking for is the gross vehicle weight after loaded. Even single trucks(non tractor-trailer) have weight limits. Some good advice would be to check with the states you would be driving through(if required to stop), and see what their weight limits are for single trucks. If your driving a larger moving truck(ex. rear tandem axles) then axle weight limits would also come into play.

https://www.movinglabor.com/blog/do-...a-rental-truck

Old 02-13-2018, 05:27 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Default Check each state for car puller use

Quote:
I'm getting ready to move from Virginia to Louisiana. I rented a 16ft Penske truck and car puller. I noticed that they require you to stop at weigh stations. I found a thread on here that says you don't really have to if you are hauling PERSONAL items. I also noticed that they we all pretty talking about different weights and truck sizes. most of the trucks they were talking about were the larger moving trucks. So, with a 16ft truck going from VA to LA will I need to stop in the weigh stations?
Types of car pullers may be regulated by each state. Make sure the car puller used is applicable, and I DON'T mean "ask the Penske clerk". Where I am those U-Haul car pullers have been outright illegal since the eighties as going through our mountain canyons pushed a lot of people over the cliff. Bad idea.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:05 PM

529 posts, read 490,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Types of car pullers may be regulated by each state. Make sure the car puller used is applicable, and I DON'T mean "ask the Penske clerk". Where I am those U-Haul car pullers have been outright illegal since the eighties as going through our mountain canyons pushed a lot of people over the cliff. Bad idea.
What is a car puller? Do you mean a tow dolly, or tow vehicle?

You are right, that people should educate themselves as to what is a proper towing vehicle, and/or a proper tow dolly for the situation. Any rental place should, as they say, check what is being used to tow.

Your comment on UHaul being illegal for the last 30+ years I don't think is correct. If ultimately someone pulls a 4K pound car/trailer with a 4K pound car, whose fault is it? Using a rental bobtail that weighs 6K+ pounds to pull a 4K pound car/trailer, should not be a problem. How much of it is people who think they know how to tow and get into trouble because they really don't. I know the U Haul tow dollies/trailers have surge brakes on them. Sufficient for what they are doing. But it doesn't mean going normal speeds down hills and such. I prefer electric brakes, but the normal person renting will not have the capability.

What should be done, is before anyone is allowed to tow anything, they have to go to a class and learn how to tow. Don't blame some company on what someone does with that rental equipment when it is not driven properly. Penske/U Haul trucks/trailers are legal in all of the U.S. states.

Take a look at RV trailers being towed. If you really know a little about towing, most of what you see will scare the wholly crap out of you.

Rant off, back to the original program.

Mark

Old 02-14-2018, 12:42 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Uhaul says that you aren't required to stop if you are moving personal items. We traveled from South Carolina to Florida several times with UHaul trucks and never stopped at any weigh stations. That said, here is a list of each states requirements Weigh Stations - AAA Digest of Motor Laws There are truck stops with weigh stations you can visit before leaving to see if you meet the weight requirements. Virginia looks like the most trouble but often these weigh stations are closed anyway.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:25 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,408 times
I stopped once ever, in Virginia on I-95 and was told I was "cute" for stopping. I had the largest Uhaul you could rent plus a car behind it. I think I passed one more after, on I-64 and I did not stop.

I have never stopped at one since and never had a problem.

You should just do what you feel comfortable doing.

The VA DMV site states different info from what is listed on this link.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/weigh-stations/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues