Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 15,572 times

Advertisements

hey guys,
as the title says, I am moving to central MA in August. I am trying to do this move as cheaply as possible. I am the only one moving so that makes it a little more interesting in terms of getting my stuff and my car up there.

Right now, my plan is to move my bed, dresser, small kitchen table and chairs, and then a few boxes of stuff like dishes, clothes, etc. Most of this stuff will be loaded into my SUV, along with my TV and TV stand.

I have looked at umove.com and got a quote of $868 for the trailer option and $961 for the Relocube.

My original plan was to rent a Uhaul trailer to load my stuff in and tow it with my car. I am seriously rethinking that after some of the threads I have read here.

So does anyone know of any other options for a single gal that won't break my budget? Right now, I am thinking that selling all of my furniture isn't such a bad way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 12:23 AM

349 posts, read 887,678 times
Default Not many options

I've done both - moved things and sold things to move.

I don't miss anything I sold, so if you simply need to tighten the budget, keep the personal items (or have a trusted person send them parcel post - pretty cheap!) and get a blowup bed for 40 bucks.

You will rough it until you get furniture, but you will get furniture and dishes and all of those things again.

My two cents!

P.S. My Dad was worried with me driving cross country, luckily my male cousin was with me, made me and my Dad feel safer. Hope you can have someone drive with you, but if not, travel during the daytime.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 AM

I have a blow up bed that I bought last year after I got divorced. I pretty much walked away from all of the stuff in my house last year. So I know I can handle not having things, or a lot of things.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:26 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
You can sell almost anything quickly through craigslist and buy there as well. You have to determine the value of the items you have to see if they are worth moving. If what you own doesn't have much value and you can replace them then it is probably best to sell. If you don't have the ability to replace the items then it is probably best to move them.
I suggest not doing the Uhaul trailer thing unless you are close to God. From the items you mentioned on this post I think you can get all of them into one ABF relo cube. Unless they have doubled their prices I think one relo cube from TN to MA should be less than the price you stated.
If in doubt call ABF.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 AM

from the email I received from ABF:

ReloCube® Options
Move Type 1 ReloCube
Terminal-to-terminal delivery $631
Door-to-door delivery $935

Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Seems a bit high, but did you check the price on a truck rental? ABF will probably still be cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues