Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:02 PM

157 posts, read 1,302,977 times

Advertisements

Is anyone here aware of any reason(s) that we couldn't pull a U-Haul trailer with a Penske 26' truck?

Both U-Haul and Penske trucks have 2" hitch balls.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
The Penske truck won't know the difference as to what's hooked up on the 2" trailer ball.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:04 PM

119 posts, read 1,027,791 times
I would OK it with Penske first, as in case of an accident, they could deny all claims due to unauthorized towing. I agree that the Penske truck won't know whats behind it. But I would OK it with both companies just so if anything goes wrong, your covered, and neither blames it on you, and then come after you for damages that they woudl have otherwise covered.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 9,955 times
As a Penske agent, I will tell you that Penske trucks are only designed to tow Penske tow dollies, and Penske car carriers. All other tows are not authorized.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:46 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
The reason would be liability. Bad idea.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:14 AM

529 posts, read 490,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangello1 View Post
As a Penske agent, I will tell you that Penske trucks are only designed to tow Penske tow dollies, and Penske car carriers. All other tows are not authorized.
Are the Penske trucks so unique that they can only pull a Penske trailer? I kinda doubt that. I would love to know what makes them that unique. According to the website, the truck has the standard 4 pin connector and 2" ball. Trailers will require surge brakes, as the 4 pin connector is not for trailers equipped with electric brakes. Sounds the same as U-Haul.

If the truck/trailer combo is mismatched weight wise, it would not make a difference who's truck or trailer it is.

If you are saying that for insurance coverage, a Penske truck can only pull a Penske trailer, then say that. Don't give the impression that mechanically it is unsafe to.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:51 PM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Are the Penske trucks so unique that they can only pull a Penske trailer? I kinda doubt that. I would love to know what makes them that unique. According to the website, the truck has the standard 4 pin connector and 2" ball. Trailers will require surge brakes, as the 4 pin connector is not for trailers equipped with electric brakes. Sounds the same as U-Haul.

If the truck/trailer combo is mismatched weight wise, it would not make a difference who's truck or trailer it is.

If you are saying that for insurance coverage, a Penske truck can only pull a Penske trailer, then say that. Don't give the impression that mechanically it is unsafe to.
He's a Penske dealer that said it's not authorized. For whatever reason. Penske trucks, Penske rules. And really, that oughta be enough. Pull a Uhaul trailer with a Uhaul. End of problem.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:06 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Are the Penske trucks so unique that they can only pull a Penske trailer? I kinda doubt that. I would love to know what makes them that unique.
That isn't what he/she said. What was typed is "All other tows are not authorized".

I think that's just sound business. I wouldn't want unknown equipment hooking up to my truck either.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:46 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,562,983 times
owing Questions

1. Does Penske rent moving trailers?
    Penske does not rent moving trailers. However, we do rent a variety of truck sizes. Picking a larger size truck will allow you to pack all your belongings in one spot. And you can tow your car behind your Penske truck on our safe and convenient towing equipment.
  2. Can I tow my own trailer behind a Penske truck?
    No. For liability reasons and your safety, we do not allow customers to tow any non-Penske owned equipment behind our trucks.
  3. Can I rent a car carrier or tow dolly without a Penske truck?
    No. Penske's towing equipment is engineered specifically to tow behind a Penske truck only.
See? Their four flat or 7 blade connectors and 2 inch ball is Penske specific.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:05 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
The answer is so simple:
1. Buy a good used truck and trailer.
2. Load up and move.
3. When you get where you need to be, unload the truck and trailer, and sell them.
4. No problem.

I, too, do not believe for a minute that their trucks have "special" hitches and wiring connectors. Yes, their trucks and equipment, their rules, but "specially engineered" towing set-ups? Nah, I just don't believe it.
When they prove that their wiring connectors and hitches are totally incompatible with anything else on the planet, then and only then will I believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues