Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Often Do You Move?
Weekly 0 0%
Once A Month 0 0%
Every 6-12 months 14 21.21%
Every couple of years. 35 53.03%
Once a decade or less. 17 25.76%
Never! 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 04:57 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times

Advertisements

For the past 10 years, I haven't stayed in one spot for longer than 11 months. I used to move every 4 or 5 months. Nowadays, I've slowed down, and only move maybe once every 10 months or so on average.

I figure someday I'll buy a house and that'll be the end of all these rapid moves. Until then, I'm enjoying my mobility. I never complain about where I live because if I don't like it, I just up and move.

So, if you want, answer these questions:
1. How often do you move?

2. Why?

For me, it's every 10 months, and I do it because everywhere is different and interesting. 10 months is long enough to get to know an area and wear out all the newness.

The only drawback to moving so much is that you hardly ever know your neighbors unless it's a very friendly and open community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:12 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,614 times
I moved every 2-3 years for about 15 years. Always trading "up," buying fixers and making a profit. Slowed down though, been in this house 6 years!!! I'd probably have moved but my husband won't. I've told him 3 more years and were out, I love getting a "new" place

Old 10-12-2007, 04:44 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,563 times
Well, it's nice to see I'm in the majority - we have moved 4 times in the past 8 years. Alll of our moves have been for my husband's job.

I am really DONE though! After this move in two weeks I want to stay put.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 AM

781 posts, read 3,816,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
For the past 10 years, I haven't stayed in one spot for longer than 11 months. I used to move every 4 or 5 months. Nowadays, I've slowed down, and only move maybe once every 10 months or so on average.

I figure someday I'll buy a house and that'll be the end of all these rapid moves. Until then, I'm enjoying my mobility. I never complain about where I live because if I don't like it, I just up and move.

So, if you want, answer these questions:
1. How often do you move?

2. Why?

For me, it's every 10 months, and I do it because everywhere is different and interesting. 10 months is long enough to get to know an area and wear out all the newness.

The only drawback to moving so much is that you hardly ever know your neighbors unless it's a very friendly and open community.
Question for you.......Do you have children? job? I do envy you though.

I am like you....a wanderer but ever since we had children, I keep the "wanderlust" tucked away because it is not so easy with the kids and my husbands' job. We have decided that once the kids finish high school ( class of 08 and 11) and are off to college, we are going to move around more....just sell it all and enjoy a more transient lifestyle. In fact, we are planning an extended stay in Europe for 6 months to a year just to see the world.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
I'm a stay-putter. I've moved once during the past 15 years.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:17 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,316 times
My parents lived in the first house they bought for 53 years, until they passed away. I moved about every 2 years after I graduated from college. I think having never moved as a child made me want to explore a little. I always got ansy to move after about 2 years. My last move though was when my 4th child was born 9 years ago. I have not really wanted to move as much since then because my kids were rooted. We now have the chance to move across the country and I am excited. I never thought about moving while my kids were in school but I realize that making friends in a new place is much easier when you have young children. If we wait until they all go to college it will be much harder. I have enjoyed our extended stay here but I have to say I am ready for a new adventure.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,182 times
I am definitely in the majority - I move a lot. There was a time I was moving back back and forth from the West Coast (California) to the East Coast (NY, MD, and VA). And those are not the easiest of moves. But I was able to pack everything into my car. I too have a wanderlust, much to the chagrin of my husband, who is not a wanderer. He likes to stay in one place for a long time. We recently moved from California to Arizona and though we will be here for awhile, I don't want to stay. I don't feel AZ is a fit for me. I want to plant roots and settle down but am waiting for some place to hit me to settle. It hasn't happened yet but I feel it will sooner or later. I want to save money to try out the East coast again. I liked the seasons there. I would love to move back to California but it's so expensive to buy a house there. At least on the East Coast and Midwest there are opportunities to buy a house for a reasonable amount of money.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:44 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
Post Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
Question for you.......(1) Do you have children? (2)job? I do envy you though.

I am like you....a wanderer but ever since we had children, I keep the "wanderlust" tucked away because it is not so easy with the kids and my husbands' job. We have decided that once the kids finish high school ( class of 08 and 11) and are off to college, we are going to move around more....just sell it all and enjoy a more transient lifestyle. In fact, we are planning an extended stay in Europe for 6 months to a year just to see the world.
(1) Not yet. Planning on having one in a few years when we are ready to stop moving. Before that, my wife and I are planning to spend a year travelling around the world. So, I guess I probably won't stay in one place for more than a month, then.

(2) Yes. I select my jobs based on where I want to live. It's kind of tough, because I only want to do a specific kind of work. But I'm pretty talented so I usually get the exact job I apply for. Quitting for the world tour, though. Saved up enough money that we won't need to work for the year or three that it will take for us to see everything we want to see and get tired of travelling.

Have fun on your new mobile lifestyle when you get there. I think you were right to stay put for your kids. I'm not planning on moving one inch (unless a hurricane blows our house away or something) until my kid is at least done with highschool, and maybe college.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:13 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,549 times
Post Well, let's see...

Put it like this, when I fill out a job application, and then get to the part where it says 'please list all addresses in the last 7 years'... I run out of space!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Sorry, I wasn't in the voting list.

12 years
12 years
12 years
So far 20 years. Probably in the next 5 or so.
When I die
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues