Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:55 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Here's a thought--fly to the new place and rent a car to use for the few weeks you are there. Then fly back to where you live now and drive with the dogs in your own car. That will cut off three days of drive time making the round trip. If you can work it to do 2/3 of the driving over a weekend, you'll only miss one, maybe two days of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:19 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times
That's a good question. I've heard (and perhaps someone who works at an airline can clarify this)... that animals that are shipped are not fed or watered during shipping. And since I've had my luggage missplaced twice, where it took a few days to get it back. I would feel very nervous about having my 'best friends' being shipped. Hopefully, the airlines are much better in handling living beings than luggage.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:20 AM

133 posts, read 534,402 times
no, they do not get food or water.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:10 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
That's a good question. I've heard (and perhaps someone who works at an airline can clarify this)... that animals that are shipped are not fed or watered during shipping. And since I've had my luggage missplaced twice, where it took a few days to get it back. I would feel very nervous about having my 'best friends' being shipped. Hopefully, the airlines are much better in handling living beings than luggage.
That is not true. My dogs were sedated, but they had water in their cages at all times. When I came to pick them up, they were still a little groggy, so I gave them a walk and the people at Alaska Arilines bought a fresh bowl of water while I was breaking down the kennel to load into my car. The Alaska Airlines people were very kind and took care of them until I arrived. I couldn't have been happier. I honestly do not think I would want to ship a dog on a flight more than 4 hours.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:19 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJack View Post
I'm close to taking a job in California. The relocation package will be nice and comprehensive, but the relo timeline may be very short. Perhaps too short to enable me to drive to the west coast with my two medium sized dogs.

The more likely scenario is that I will need to leave my dogs with friends/kennel for three or so weeks while I close on the house/live in a hotel, and then have a friend prepare and deliver the dogs to the transportation origin. I'll be seeking the best overall transportation method I can find, with considerations including dogs' physical and emotional well-being, cost, and time on the road.

Good as the relo package is, it does not include funds or time off for pet-centric activities. Cost won't be the driving force in my decision on how to get them to me, though ... their well-being will be.

If anyone has experience with (and/or suggestions for) sending their pets cross-country, I'd very much appreciate it.
Try these guys: Pet Airways is a pet airline

Airlines just for pets. They ride in the cabin, and they're checked on every fifteen minutes. They get potty and walk breaks, and the prices are reasonable.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 AM

19 posts, read 61,764 times
^ Cool. First glance - I'm in their flyover, 600+ miles from the nearest service. But the site encourages us to contact them for possible special arrangements.

Anyway, with the advice here and further reading up on my relo benefits, I'm now strongly leaning toward driving my car and pets westward. Company will fly me back here, within a time window best suited for my needs and job commitments, and let me drive back out permanently. An adventure! LOL. In the interim, a friend/kennel combo could keep the dogs while I'm there finding/closing on a home.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:57 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJack View Post
^ Cool. First glance - I'm in their flyover, 600+ miles from the nearest service. But the site encourages us to contact them for possible special arrangements.

Anyway, with the advice here and further reading up on my relo benefits, I'm now strongly leaning toward driving my car and pets westward. Company will fly me back here, within a time window best suited for my needs and job commitments, and let me drive back out permanently. An adventure! LOL. In the interim, a friend/kennel combo could keep the dogs while I'm there finding/closing on a home.
Oh, too bad you're far away from their stopovers. I thought they were a nice idea though. I'd sure try them for my dog if I had to fly her.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
I have shipped cats. I know most airlines will not ship them between certian tempatures. They must also have all their shots and in good health and will need a health certificate from the vet, not filled out more than 10 days ahead of the trip that cost (to cross any state line in any mode of transportation).... I forget how much, it wasn't a lot and each pet needs it's own. I think flying it needs to be attached to the cage and you do send food along for the pet.

I have shipped cats by air and using land transporters and not ever had a problem. Airlines usually do not want them sedated and neither do the vets. I would check into the Pet Air thing. That sounds like it is made to order!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues