Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:54 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Interstates are all divided limited access highways. Get through cities like Alberquerque or Oklahoma City before you stop in the evening and then gas up before you check in. It will be rush hour when you hit the road.

Plenty Motels, not all clean. Flagstaff and Amarillo are good stops plenty of motels and resturants. A long empty stretch between OKC and Little Rock. West Memphis is good.

The DC area is a Traffic Disaster, I don't know where in Md you are going but if you can stay on 81 and skirt it do so.
That was very nice of you to give them that good advice about gas and hotels. You must be a nice person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Sansea, you'll be fine taking the I-40, I-81 route in a U Haul type truck; you won't have anywhere near the weight that would bog an 18-wheeler down! I also concur with the advice to get through the major cities before stopping for the night. And, yes, the traffic in NoVA,D.C. and MD is maddening. A C.B. radio and a good local map might help you with major backups in the D.C. area. (Most rental trucks have the connections for a C.B.) Watch your speed on I-81; Va troopers patrol it heavily!

Have a good trip and let us know how it went!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 PM

372 posts, read 534,004 times
Thank you for all your helpful comments.
You've given me information that will make this trip safer and easier.
I appreciate it, very much.

Last edited by sansea; 08-02-2009 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-02-2009, 08:15 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
That was very nice of you to give them that good advice about gas and hotels. You must be a nice person.
Thank You,
Originally I moved from Delaware to San Francisco, two trips in 1992. Then one or two trips to Ohio of Philly a year. I've taken every imaginary route I could find. I you weren't pulling a load I'd be glad to be more creative. I-40 is as good as any, Good Luck

Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Sansea I came from Oakland to SwVA mostly via I-40 in a 28 ft rented RV with 4 dogs and a cat. The trip was in late January and had no weather problems on that route. Pick up I-81 in Knoxville. I second what Crew Chief said about VA troopers. I know they get a lot of folks coming up I-77 from NC because the speed limit drops from 70 to 65 at the state line but most folks don't slow down. Also VA is shutting down most of its rest stops to save money. Brachs Lemon Drops helped me keep my fluid consumption down while driving and reduced the need for pit stops.

Most likely your rental unit will have a CD player so bring your favorite driving music cause what you'll find on the radio is

I-81 is only 2 lanes in each direction so you will find it frustrating after CA freeways because passing is much more difficult. Now I live in the boonies and half the roads are not even paved and the biggest traffic jam I've encountered here was about a dozen cows who had decided that the grass really was greener on the other side. Everyone (all 5 or 6 of us) got out of our cars to help the farmer and his dog round them up and get them back in his pasture.

Have a safe journey.

Don't forget to write us when you get "home" and let us know how the trip went.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:56 PM

372 posts, read 534,004 times
Hi Zugor,

Thanks for the trooper tips--I'll be sure to be careful. I also appreciate your info on 40.

That's pretty funny about the cows. I always get a joy from seeing animals in their natural habitat.

I avoid the freeways in CA, so I'm not much of a "passer" ... but even if I wanted to, I expect I wouldn't even consider it in a 26 ft truck.

Thanks for your best wishes.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post

I avoid the freeways in CA, so I'm not much of a "passer" ... but even if I wanted to, I expect I wouldn't even consider it in a 26 ft truck.
Great idea, Sansea! I see way too many "U Haul"-type rental trucks being driven like a NASCAR car. It's always best to leave a little 'reserve" on the peddle for things like a blowout or passing slower vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues