U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 PM

179 posts, read 514,009 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a step by step guide in chronological order to move out of state. I live with my parents, and have never paid rent to a real landlord or have organized and paid for my own utilites. Can someone give me a list of what I should do (the more details the better). I have already found the apartment I want when I visited the city I am looking to move to, and just finished editing my resume.

I have not applied to any job position nor for the apartment. I'm assuming that I should get the job first, and then apply for the apartment, but after that I'm not really sure what order I should go in...also how long approximately do people take to move/what should I write on my application where it says when I'm available (obviously two weeks, but do out-of-state people ask for that or for more time?)

Didn't mean to ramble ; hope y'all can help
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:41 AM

275 posts, read 703,739 times
Start applying for a job long before your actual move, best way if you will find job before you left your parents' house. Appartments may be cautious rent without job.

On list of payments, check with your folks, they know your situation better. If you can do not sign lease for more, than 6 months, month-to-month would be the best option, even though it may be a little bit more expensive.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 PM

3,620 posts, read 11,648,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl14256 View Post
I am looking for a step by step guide in chronological order to move out of state.

Before you move.......
  1. Start by saving up enough money to make the move. That amount will depend on a lot of things. It should be enough to cover the expenses below and enough to live on for at least 2 months. If you plan on using a self move (like U-haul), container (like PODS) or a moving company, how far away you are moving and how much stuff you have the amount for the actual move will vary widely.
  2. Make sure to have at least $800.00 available for security deposits for utilities.
  3. GET A JOB IN NEW CITY BEFORE MOVING. GET A JOB.... GET A JOB.....GET A JOB!!!! I can't say that enough! In this economy don't take it for granted that something will come up
Once you have the job....
  1. Figure out (based on your new income) how much you can afford each month for rent. Be realistic and remember as well as rent, utilities and gasoline, clothing, etc, you need to eat! Look for places to live that are at least 10% under whatever number you come up with.
  2. Go to the City-Data forum in the city your are moving to ask for ideas on apartments in safe areas near where you will be working. Remember you will normally have to pay security deposit and at least 1st month's rent in certified funds before you can move in. In some cities they also require the last months rent too.
Once you have the apartment
  1. Contact electric, gas, cable & internet companies to set up service. If you do not have credit or have bad credit, expect to pay around $200.00 to each utility as a security deposit.
  2. Check to be sure that the bank you use has a branch in the city you are moving to. If not you will have to set up a new bank account in the new city.
Once you get there
  1. put a change of address in for any credit cards, loans, your bank account, etc
  2. Title and register your vehicle (If you are in a different state from where you where before) Remember this will cost you money also. That varies from state to state.
  3. Change your driver's license
I've probably forgotten a few things. But this should be a basic list for you

Old 08-06-2009, 03:58 PM

179 posts, read 514,009 times
I did not realize that Utilities also ask for a deposit. Is this deposit generally refundable?

I will not move without a job, so no need to worry there.

I already know which apartment I want, it's just a matter of getting the job and saving the $.
Thanks for help so far, if anyone else has ideas or input, let me know!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I did not realize that Utilities also ask for a deposit. Is this deposit generally refundable?

I will not move without a job, so no need to worry there.

I already know which apartment I want, it's just a matter of getting the job and saving the $.
Thanks for help so far, if anyone else has ideas or input, let me know!
Yes the utility deposits are refundable and they also pay interest. I think that the norm is that after 1 year of no late payments they refund the security to you.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 AM

10,629 posts, read 25,028,538 times
Utilities don't always require a deposit; I think it depends on where you live. I know in some of our previous rentals we didn't need a deposit because we had good credit.

Since you're applying from out-of-state, I think it would be a good idea on your cover letter to explicitely note that you will be paying for relocation costs yourself.

Expect the job search to take a long time (these are tough times), but be prepared to move quickly if you get a job offer. If there's no apartment available at that point, or if they need a longer move-in time you could always stay at an extended-stay hotel for a couple of weeks and put your stuff in storage if necessary. Since you live at home now I'm assuming you don't have a huge amount of things to move, which will help dramatically when it comes to cutting down moving costs and simplifying the move. If you do have a lot of stuff, now is the time to go through it and get rid of things you don't want.

When you do move you can ask the apartment for the names of the utility companies, if you don't already have that information. Then all you do is call them up and give their your information. Sometimes they need to send someone by in person, but not necessarily. Once you know for sure when you're moving and your move-in date you can call the utility companies before you move; that way you won't have a gap between when you arrive and when things get turned on (and you can set up any in-person appointments at a time that works for you). Also remember to change your address with the post office.

Good luck. If you just take things one step at a time they all sort of fall into place. Set aside money for random costs associated with a new place; it seems we always spend more than I expect (despite multiple moves) on cleaning supplies, little things like oven thermometers (never remember to take ours with us, and no one else ever seems to have one/leave one), dish drainers, etc.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:37 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,859,196 times
Find out from your auto insurance company what your cost will be in the new location.

Some of the little things that you will likely purchase for your new place, not bring with you such as vacuum cleaner if the place has carpeting, broom, mop, dust pan, garbage can(s), shower curtain if no glass doors, laundry baskets etc, also need to be factored in to expenses.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:41 PM

8,092 posts, read 14,353,061 times
Pack your stuff *in* laundry baskets

Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Find out from your auto insurance company what your cost will be in the new location.

Some of the little things that you will likely purchase for your new place, not bring with you such as vacuum cleaner if the place has carpeting, broom, mop, dust pan, garbage can(s), shower curtain if no glass doors, laundry baskets etc, also need to be factored in to expenses.
Good point! I forgot about the auto insurance...I knew I'd forgotten something

Old 08-07-2009, 07:20 PM

496 posts, read 1,621,444 times
Quote:
I am looking for a step by step guide in chronological order to move out of state. I live with my parents, and have never paid rent to a real landlord or have organized and paid for my own utilites. Can someone give me a list of what I should do (the more details the better). I have already found the apartment I want when I visited the city I am looking to move to, and just finished editing my resume.

I have not applied to any job position nor for the apartment. I'm assuming that I should get the job first, and then apply for the apartment, but after that I'm not really sure what order I should go in...also how long approximately do people take to move/what should I write on my application where it says when I'm available (obviously two weeks, but do out-of-state people ask for that or for more time?)

Didn't mean to ramble ; hope y'all can help
Hey there! You're in the same boat I'm in! But I have a while before I actually move because I don't graduate college until May. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues