Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:58 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,605 times

Advertisements

How is that handled, do they just transfer and finish out the rest of the year and promote by what the previous school says?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 03:33 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
I moved and left them with my spouse until the school year finished. I think it was worth the additional living expense not to disrupt them.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 PM

276 posts, read 1,458,279 times
As tempting as it is to let them finish out the school year, it is not something I would do. It would be a long summer for my kids if they did not have any playmates. Even if you enroll them in summer camps, it's not the same as having "school" friends. I'd let them finish the school year in your new town and let them do all the fun end of the year activities with their new friends.

This is coming from someone that has lived without her spouse for 10 months out of the last 18 months due to jobs and relocation. So keeping the family together is important to me!

Old 09-10-2009, 05:04 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,797,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin1 View Post
As tempting as it is to let them finish out the school year, it is not something I would do. It would be a long summer for my kids if they did not have any playmates. Even if you enroll them in summer camps, it's not the same as having "school" friends. I'd let them finish the school year in your new town and let them do all the fun end of the year activities with their new friends.

I would research the options for childcare. In our case I discovered that the area has a school based summer camp. We enrolled the children and they were grouped with children from the same school and class year. Before the start of school they had "friends" and were familiar with many of their classmates.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 PM

The only way that would/could happen is if my husband was the one going down first and got hired at a signficantly higher salary than what he makes now, otherwise the expense would be too much for renting in two different states.

The in school camps sound like something good to look into though

Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Just a personal note here.

It's a family joke that neither my husband or I finished the first grade. We both went into the second the next year just like nothing had happened. I had whooping cough and missed the last 5 weeks, and my husband's school burned down and the family moved before a new one could be arranged. He missed close to 3 months.

So, unless the child is behind in his work, I would just move and not worry about school. Plan ahead, do some home schooling if needed so that he will be up to grade level at the new school system. Find out what would be needed. Your child might have to finish certain reading material to get into the regular grade. School policies differ as to what is needed. He or she may be required to some testing at the new school to determine placement.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks for your input

Old 09-11-2009, 09:35 AM

138 posts, read 510,670 times
This is the second year that we are moving within a few weeks of the school year starting and my kids love it because they really do not have to to anything because they know they are moving .They attend class and see their friends and thats it.So your kids would probably like attending at the end because they would be resposible for minimum effort and they can just hang out and meet new friends.One caveat though, my kids are now 16 and 12 so they a little older and enjoy sloth,if you get my drift.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:41 AM

Mine will be 8 in a couple of months so by the time we get down there he'll still want to be in the middle of everything. On the one hand, there's so much to do where will be moving that I know for the first week or so we'll want to be out running around every day (Disney, waterparks, etc.) then reality sets in and I realize we still have to work and go to school, lol.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times
Elementary school isn't like high school where they have a final exam that figures into their grade. Most schools simply require attendance of so many days....so moving at the end isn't a problem. Actually might help a bit. They get their feet wet a bit- get to meet their new friends, maybe get to know them and be in their circles for summer invites and slumber parties.

Just don't let their education fall through the cracks...you may need to tutor for a few weeks to get them caught up with their new class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues