Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:35 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times

Advertisements

I purposely used to move to places where I didn't know anyone .. found it very exciting, not to mention refreshing.

Especially after finishing school. Through the schooling years, one tends to hang around with certain friends and kind of get in a rut, living perhaps someone else's lifestyle.

Moving somewhere new gives you an opportunity to try on a new hat should you wish. Make your life whatever you want it to be and surround yourself with new friends, that you choose.

I think it's such an exciting time in one's life, when you're young and just starting out in new surroudings from scratch. It's as if you can wipe the slate clean and start fresh again, mold your life exactly as you wish and around people you enjoy.

Good luck in your venture, wherever it may take you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 01:35 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,429,868 times
I agree with everyone who said moving to a place where you don't know anyone is exciting and allows you to have a fresh start. I moved across country last year, just me and my dogs. It's been great.

Volunteering for groups or causes that are important to you is a good way to meet people. Not only do you know you'll have something in common, I think locals really appreciate it when newcomers take an interest and show that they want to contribute something positive to the community.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:36 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
I purposely used to move to places where I didn't know anyone .. found it very exciting, not to mention refreshing.

Especially after finishing school. Through the schooling years, one tends to hang around with certain friends and kind of get in a rut, living perhaps someone else's lifestyle.

Moving somewhere new gives you an opportunity to try on a new hat should you wish. Make your life whatever you want it to be and surround yourself with new friends, that you choose.

I think it's such an exciting time in one's life, when you're young and just starting out in new surroudings from scratch. It's as if you can wipe the slate clean and start fresh again, mold your life exactly as you wish and around people you enjoy.

Good luck in your venture, wherever it may take you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
I agree with everyone who said moving to a place where you don't know anyone is exciting and allows you to have a fresh start. I moved across country last year, just me and my dogs. It's been great.

Volunteering for groups or causes that are important to you is a good way to meet people. Not only do you know you'll have something in common, I think locals really appreciate it when newcomers take an interest and show that they want to contribute something positive to the community.
absolutely!! It's exciting,refreshing and liberating!!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:09 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Yep, we sure did. 3000 miles from a large city to a small town, not knowing a soul.

Worked out fine.

Made new friends quickly, people we really care about and have a lot in common with. Some we have little in common with but are great caring neighbors just the same.

Sometimes I extended my hand in friendship first and invited folks over for a casual dinner or a ping pong game. I didn't stand on ceremony if it was someone I wanted to get to know better. Also volunteered for some community work and that let me meet some great new people, too.

Events at the library and other places out us in touch with kindred spirits. Dog-walking is also a fine way to meet new people.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Any personal success stories?
More than one success story!

Do some research on the place you are considering moving. I once took a job in a place I would have thought I would have hated, and I liked it quite a bit. I miss some things about it, actually.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:57 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Done it at least 20 times, only caveat is you better know YOURSELF real well !

Old 10-23-2009, 11:05 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Done it at least 20 times, only caveat is you better know YOURSELF real well !
I have moved 7 times to places I knew no one. If you know what you like and don't like your 1/2 way there. Its easier to accept a job at a company when you better understand what you are looking for. You are more successful at a job when you like what you do. Do you realize how many people don't like what they do?

If your into church, hobbies, recreation, etc... You start there finding like minded people. Don't get yourself committed to a lease until you know what area of town you really want. In some places that is 2 weeks, in others it take 3 months for you to figure it out.

Some good advice on the boards here. Nice thing is, your young, no dependents to worry about, you can change your mind at any time and go somewhere else.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 PM

202 posts, read 352,781 times
I moved to NM from CO when I was 26 - alone, not knowing anyone in NM and didn't even have a job lined up. I had grown up in CO and for the most part, lived there my whole life. I was looking for a change and I definitely found it in NM. For the most part, everyone in my life at the time tried to discourage me from the move...but I persisted. Within a week after moving, I had a group of friends and contacts that looked out for me and were my social network. I also found a waitressing job about a week after being there, which also formulated a social network for me. I would say that, in general, I'm quite introverted and shy when it comes to meeting people, but I think that there are times and places when one is more open to contact/any contact and as a result, attract that kind of energy. I definitely found myself making friends and good contacts, left and right very soon after moving there. I think if you have the right kind of attitude, you too will find that wherever you end up. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:20 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
I just moved alone recently - it is good to see that other people have too! Everyone I work with thinks I'm brave (read: crazy) for moving somewhere without knowing anyone or having any friends here.

Best decision. Since you don't want to (can't) stay where you are, don't be afraid to move on your own. Just know that it will (probably) take some effort on your part to meet people depending on where you end up. I get the impression some places are more friendly/outgoing/easier to meet people than others.

Definitely have a job lined up, a back up plan in case that falls through, and check the place out if you can ahead of time (don't move sight unseen if you can help it).

Make the decision for yourself - because if you decide you don't like it or it doesn't fit, you only have to worry about yourself when deciding to leave/move again.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 18,882 times
I am moving soon to somewhere I barely know about.. how do you find out what is where and how to get around? Do I just research the place? Or spend time there? I'm scared because I'm moving with just me and my daughter and I don't want to move in the wrong part of town or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues