Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 AM

77 posts, read 404,880 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Baltimore to Charlotte in a few weeks (YEAH!!!!!) and I used ebays sister website ubid for my mover (ubid.com). It is GREAT. I had many bids and it saved me thousands over the name brand companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 12:09 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,050 times
Good to hear. Make sure they are licensed and insured before you release your goods to them.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:39 PM

189 posts, read 580,347 times
Be careful. Hopefully your quote is legit, but you would be surprised how many people try to save a few $$$ moving their most prized possessions and then get stuck with a shady moving company.

Good luck with your mover and move!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:53 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,285 times
Ravens, May I ask who you got to do your move? I moved from MD myself in November and was just curious who you were going with???

Old 05-09-2007, 09:51 AM

36 posts, read 467,008 times
Thumbs down Stay away from these people

We moved from MD to NC in Jan of 06 however, our house was sold in June of 05 so we had to have out stuff stored until our house was finished. This created a huge problem as we had no idea where are stuff was being stored at the time. We had Collins Bros. pack our house up and they transferred it to Stevens Moving to be stored until our house was finished in July of 05. At that time we were in Myrtle Beach at a family reunion and had to cut it short in order for us to meet the movers at a storage facility. This Independent moving company which consisted of a husband and wife team, picked up our stuff at a warehouse and moved it into a storage facility in Monroe. We watched as these two people moved everything and we noticed a couple of antique pieces were broken which they separated and gave to us. Okay now here's the tricky part. Our stuff was locked up in a climate-controlled facility here in Monroe while we were still living up in MD until Jan when we were to move into our new home. We were able to file a claim for the broken/missing items we found at the storage facility through Stevens. I also inquired about any future claims as our things would be in a locked, climate-controlled facility and we wouldn't have access to it until the day we moved into the house in Jan. Stevens told us if we had any future claims to make we just do the same thing, in writing. The day we moved in we called this husband and wife team to do the moving as they did such a careful job at the storage facility. Once we had unpacked everything we started taking inventory and noticed several of my husbands expensive tools were missing, his good suit had been packed in with his tools, some small collectables were broken, and our dryvacs were also missing. I proceeded to file the claims following all the instructions Stevens had given me ver batim. I never recovered the full value of the items stolen,missing or broken. I had to settle for a mere $450 when in total the items were valued at over $1400 (give or take a dollar). If I wanted the full value (after paying for the full $75,000 coverage) I would have to pay them $250 to go to Arbitration and then I would be lucky to get what I was due. We're still remembering things we use to have that we don't have any more. I immediately notified my real estate agent both in MD and here to let them know that Stevens is crooked and that some sort of investigation should start as to just how much stealing these moving companies do. I think it is terrible how a lot of these moving companies treat peoples posessions. They should be held accountable and I hope you have better luck than we did. We've just marked it up to experience and won't recommend these people to anyone. Let me know how your move goes. Good Luck!

Old 05-09-2007, 11:34 AM

348 posts, read 1,360,616 times
We were leary of movers as well when we came down to NC from NY last year. We ended up with U-pack from ABF freight (kinda like pods). They dropped the boxes (we had 2) in our driveway in NY. We had 3 days to load. We then locked the boxes with our locks so we only had access. They came and picked them up and delivered them to our door in Charlotte 3 days later. We then had 3 days to unload. They also provide storage if needed. I HIGHLY reccomend this!
Yes it was a pain loading and unloading ourselves (but hey, that's what friends are for.*lol*) but we knew our stuff was locked up and no one had access. We could even track the boxes on line and know at any given moment where our stuff was!

Another note on moving, keep in mind as long as you move more then 100 miles, your moving expenses are tax deductable! Only reason we got a refund this year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues