U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 PM

8,545 posts, read 9,871,280 times

Advertisements

So true, Ultrarunner..I am going to save a few things, will give them a few things and what they do with it is up to them.. I know when my grandma was alive she always had pictures of my kids in her living room, it meant a lot to me that she didnt just toss them in a box..so I get it..but I am older, I think a lot of the younger generation is more disposable..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 04:06 PM

14,545 posts, read 19,755,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
A comedian once told about trying to give away a refrigerator. They put it out on the curb with a "free" sign on it. It sat there for 2 weeks, no takers. He got another idea. The next day he put out a sign saying "used refrigerator...$10". It was stolen that afternoon!
Funny how that works. If you are trying to sell furnature or appliances for a few bucks they move. If you say free the assumption is there is something wrong with them. We got rid of the ten dollar frig in a half hour from the first call. The free one was sitting there for over a week.

We even got the ten dollars.

When getting rid of a futon which was upstairs, I offered it for ten dollars, you carry it down the stairs. The couple who took it were happy to take it out of my overcrowded living room even knowing it needed a new pad.

One note on getting rid of stuff and decluttering if your selling. Remember not to leave it TOO Bare. Have some pictures on the wall, a rug here or there, enough well placed furnature so people can see rooms in a spacial sense. Putting the stuff in the right place can make a smaller room look just right or a huge room not look cavernous. So you might keep some of the stuff you have up until you sell. You can always send it to the good will then.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM

I am looking for a wall bed for the guest room..we have a queen bed in there and its just so crowded...I want a place where I can set up my 6 ft table and scrapbook. Been checking craigslist..they are so expensive..wouldnt mind an unfinished one, we can paint or stain it..think that would eliminate the look of so much clutter in that one room for sure..

Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Never heard anybody worry about that before. Don't see where it would be any different than your liability at a regular yard sale at your house. As far as vandalism, if they took something, we would have sent them a thank you note. This mobile home was bought used by my in laws in the early 70s so you can understand the shape it was in. 2 weeks after the free yard sale the mobile home was taken apart. There is a crew around here that will take the trailer down, and clean up the mess. They don't charge anything, just get all the metals out of it...Aluminum, copper, scrap metal, anything they can cash in. All it cost us was the dumpster and hauling it off. About $500 to get rid of a 2 br mobile home! Aint bad!
The difference would be you don't have a yard sale unattended. And usually people have no access to things like wiring and other things people have come to strip for their value. If you aren't there and someone is hurt they could claim you had not given care to prevent injury because you were not there.

Having someone recyclye the reusable materials is good too. Anything that can be spared the dumpster should be.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Moving right along, but still don't feel cleared out by a long shot. We need to intensify our efforts, a few bas here and there to Goodwill isn't going to cut it.
I know most people on this thread aren't fans of garage sales, neither am I, but I could give one a try, especially for odd-sized items, like furniture, etc. If you're looking to make a lot of money, a garage sale isn't the thing, but if you're looking to just get rid of stuff it might be the thing. Oftentimes garage sales will offer items for free if you haul away.

We plan to sell 4-6 items next week, just to see how it goes. An old chest of drawers, microwave, toaster over, coffee maker, 2 bicycles, some mismatched drawers, old filing cabinet....my goal is to get them out of here, I would sell them for $1 each, just so someone would haul them off!

If you're having a garage sale to make money, you go about it differently. I'm keeping my eye on the prize---we could sell this house for 60-80K profit, the sooner we get it on the market, the sooner we get our money, so we're not spending our time fooling around trying to sell 25 cent items! Time is money!
If stuff is useable, is there an agency that takes and gives furnature and such to people with nothing? Your worn couch may not be of much value but if you have nothing it is beautiful. This can apply to many things. If you have stuff which could be used by someone else perhaps Habitat for Humanity would be interested. They will pick up stuff.

You could have an everything free sale too. Just put it out where people can sort through it and take what they want and not be in your space. I would be concerned about people looking around for things to come back and steal you would want to keep if you had lots of unknowns wandering in your house.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Don't you think it's funny that moms everywhere save pictures and papers from their children's pre/school years?

My mother did. Not a lot, but she had 5 kids so it amounted to a lot.

After I grew up, she gave me what she saved of mine; old penmanship papers, old pictures I drew, old math papers... . I threw them all out except a couple. I don't have any idea of where they are at the moment.

What purpose does saving all that serve? None, yet all moms save them. I think it's trying to hold on to a bit of our childhood.

I have a terrible tendancy to save things. It took a LOT for me to get to the point to just throw out everything except a select few papers, and I know that my child will eventually throw them out.

Trust me, they serve no purpose and do not mean much if anything to those grown children. Maybe a special note, or an exceptional drawing, but all those papers?

My sister has a method of keeping clutter out of her house. She raised 4 kids in a small house. Everything that wasn't used in the past 12 months, got thrown out. Period. She goes through hers and her husband's closet and the kids rooms once a year and the rest of the house, and whatever hasn't been touched in 12 months, gets thrown out.
My dad kept a suitcase of stuff of mine from school. Report cards, drawings, a few tests and scattered homework from various years. Not a lot of stuff but it was very dear to me. One one move it dissapeared and I still want it back. Don't ASSUME your kids won't want to have some memories to hold and read and feel.

I have some small things people would call junk, but they were got on trips and other events. I am a very tactile person and being able to HOLD them makes me feel close to those times. Maybe a picture or a scan will do for some, but not everyone. You don't have to fill your house with multiple boxes of stuff but there is NOTHING wrong with the little keepsakes that mean a lot more than a picture either.

I lost EVERYTHING a few years ago when I moved and the money didn't follow soon enough and storage took it all. Most of it is just stuff, but the letter from my great grandmother, the blanket made for my son when he was a baby, the pictures, these will and cannot be replaced and no picture or memory will do. My son will never be able to give that blanket to his children or read that letter.

There is clutter and there is continuation. If you clean out your kids stuff, remember that you may not know what really means something to them and just dumping without their input is not fair.

Saving too much is one thing. Stripping things bare is quite different. And if you are against "clutter" in any form remember that not everyone feels that way and if its their stuff they deserve to choose what matters to them. Especially if they aren't little kids.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Hi Anitajas, good to see you!

I am looking at this only from a mom's point of view. If i were to ask my adult sons if they want their papers from pre school and el school, my guess is they would say NO. I saved them for me. Need to find the bags I put them in, which are probably full of junk and dirt now, and see if there are one or two things I can save...then the rest goes..report cards, don't know guess I will ask them..maybe girls are more sentimental?
Don't make assumptions. For some a picture on the computer is not the same. For those who are more tactile and sensitive to the energies in things, a picture is not al all the same.

I don't want everything of my schooldays. But I'd like a few things. I'd like to see my old report cards too. How much space does a report card for twelve years take up? I'm glad you are keeping some things for you because you might be very surprised with your kids when they are old enough to have their own. The point of view of a twenty year old may be regretted later one day.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
I am looking for a wall bed for the guest room..we have a queen bed in there and its just so crowded...I want a place where I can set up my 6 ft table and scrapbook. Been checking craigslist..they are so expensive..wouldnt mind an unfinished one, we can paint or stain it..think that would eliminate the look of so much clutter in that one room for sure..
If you are handy or know someone who is check out some of the HGTV shows. They frequently make murphy beds because they are so expensive. Design on a Dime has lots of tips and inspiration and frequently reuse/repurpose peoples stuff into something new that they don't even recognize. All the hardware to create one can be gotten for a lot less.

If you look around, a diy may be out there for the cost of the lumber and some stuff you can order.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 PM

571 posts, read 995,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Don't make assumptions. For some a picture on the computer is not the same. For those who are more tactile and sensitive to the energies in things, a picture is not al all the same.

I don't want everything of my schooldays. But I'd like a few things. I'd like to see my old report cards too. How much space does a report card for twelve years take up? I'm glad you are keeping some things for you because you might be very surprised with your kids when they are old enough to have their own. The point of view of a twenty year old may be regretted later one day.
That is exactly why I haven't taken the pictures and thrown away the originals! I like to look at and hold those items that my children once held in their hands before bringing them home from school to me. Or those crayon drawings on which they worked so diligently at the kitchen table... I would miss that if I did not have the orginal documents any longer. I was reluctant to follow through on the photo idea - and now it is clear to me as to why I was stalling! One just cannot get that same feeling from a photo! Thank you for helping me realize this!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Oh I probably misspoke, I will not dump everything from my son's school days that I have saved, and I will check with them..You never know..My parents moved a lot when I was young and in high school, lots of things from my childhood are gone. I do have a box here of some report cards, not sure whats in there, not a big box..what I do wish I still had were my original Barbie dolls. Those I wish I had. But no one knew and when you move a lot stuff goes missing. I do have my younger son's Legos..Dang we paid a LOT for those..will save for future grandchildren..and I have a lot of their books and saving those, too...Golden books, Dr. Seuss, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues