U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:12 AM

5,747 posts, read 11,440,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
Sometimes I'm tempted to get rid of everything that doesn't fit in my 4 bike panniers. Except that we have 2 cats.....
Yeah, that could get ugly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 04:46 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,075,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
You know, looking around at my house, my daughter said "you turned Daddy's paychecks into this"
If I had kids - I'd want one like yours!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,001,448 times
I can't believe the progress we made in our son's bedroom. We completely nuked it of any unecessary items, including an old dresser, chest of drawers, and a captains bed (the type with drawers underneath). Instead, he now has a mattress on a bedframe (bought new), one desk, one small book shelf, one small chest of drawers.. Except for the bed, we will ditch all the other furniture when we move. Also got rid of at least 100 stuffed animals, kept some, ones that are important to him.

I went to Goodwill today and bought 3 pictures, for $3 each! They make great wall art, keep his room from looking bare and depressing, but will ditch when we move. also got rid of a ton of old clothes, books, games missing pieces, etc. You can actually see the floor in there.

I feel like an episode of clean house, clear up the clutter, then arrange the rest neatly, a few decorator items, there you have it! The thing to keep clutter from accumulating again is to get rid of any storage items except those absolutely necessary, like the dressers, etc.

Now to nuke my daughter's room! This is starting to be fun!

Also, we won't allow clutter to build up due to Christmas, each kid is gettin 3 small gifts, that's it, we don't need a ton more stuff coming in when we are trying to get rid of it!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:54 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,165,548 times
Congrats Marylee you are doing great!

Old 01-02-2010, 12:38 AM

Back again! Happy New years, everyone!

Still on the clutter trail, once you get started, its self-feeding. I like the feeling of accomplishment, and we never notice the missing items.

I'm soooooo glad we decided to have a minimalist Christmas. We had one small tree, easy to take down and put away, took only an hour, not days on end like before. Also, because everyone got just a few presents, wen don't have a bunch of junk to figure out how to cram in with all the other crap. Our house was just one big storage unit before!

We still have a ways to go, but we're riding the inertia.

Just Say NO to clutter!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:16 AM

9,516 posts, read 15,144,086 times
Quote:
We plan to move sometime the first half of next year. Accordingly, I've been trying to sort out all the clutter, seems I'm just making matters worse, at times it looks like a bomb went off in here!

10+ years of living does accumulate a lot of stuff, but I should be seeing some progress. Every day I haul off several bags/boxes to Goodwill, a ton of trash, still, don't see any results, it seems more cluttered in here than ever.

My main problem is paper. Whey do we have so much paper? I've spent hours sorting/shredding, seems not to make a dent. Just unearths old issues I thought were buried years ago. Do I really need to keep kids old report cards, drawings from kindergarten, etc?

So, just grousing here, but would like some support. Does it ever reach a point where it becomes manageable? Or do I just pack it all up and sort when I get there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrow View Post
I will never have a garage sale again! Waste of time and energy - just donate it or sell it to a second hand store that will pick it up... keeping the best stuff out until the other stuff has been carried away - stipulate!
My wife and I lived 70 miles apart for the first 6 years of marriage. I had my house and she lived with her invalid mother. Mother dies, I retire, and it's time to move to one location...here place, not mine.
After moving down here, we bought a house and moved from her mobile home. We moved what we wanted from both houses then had a "free indoor yard sale". That's how I put the ad in the paper. Everything free, first come first served. I unlocked the door at 7 AM and by 9 all that was left was about 4 boxes of stuff that went to the Goodwill. Wasn't much setting up to it. We just put boxes along the walls and got out of the way.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 AM

9,516 posts, read 15,144,086 times
A comedian once told about trying to give away a refrigerator. They put it out on the curb with a "free" sign on it. It sat there for 2 weeks, no takers. He got another idea. The next day he put out a sign saying "used refrigerator...$10". It was stolen that afternoon!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:33 AM

6,258 posts, read 13,838,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My wife and I lived 70 miles apart for the first 6 years of marriage. I had my house and she lived with her invalid mother. Mother dies, I retire, and it's time to move to one location...here place, not mine.
After moving down here, we bought a house and moved from her mobile home. We moved what we wanted from both houses then had a "free indoor yard sale". That's how I put the ad in the paper. Everything free, first come first served. I unlocked the door at 7 AM and by 9 all that was left was about 4 boxes of stuff that went to the Goodwill. Wasn't much setting up to it. We just put boxes along the walls and got out of the way.
A great idea, I have done this also. Quick and it is done!

Old 01-02-2010, 08:55 AM

5,747 posts, read 11,440,532 times
Quote:
Also, we won't allow clutter to build up due to Christmas, each kid is gettin 3 small gifts, that's it, we don't need a ton more stuff coming in when we are trying to get rid of it!
Unfortunately for us, our extended family doesn't value our commitment to minimize clutter! Every year, my MIL looks around my house and says, "You need some more decorations," and I'm sure you can guess what happens next. Goodwill is getting two more boxes of stuff this year.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 PM

I love the idea of an indoor free garage sale, but what about your liability? What if someone gets hurt while "shopping" inside your home? Or vandalism---people will do anything for meaness, my mother moved out of her house, went back for some things, someone had stolen the front steps! No joke! Along with the front door, screen door, plumbling fixtures, even the toilet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues