U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,004,108 times

Advertisements

Also, too, as we retire, realize that someday you will either move or someone will have to move you. Don't leave a burden to your kids, like my parents did. A ton of stuff, all for me to sort, and I was in another state, with limited time and money. I finally paid a moving company to box up the stuff, move it here, put it in storage, then I sorted one box at a time.

Get rid of the "memories" don't hang onto crap for the sentimental value. For example, tonight I parted with a broken paperwieght, I hung onto it for years, because of the memories, I bought it with my mother on a trip, we ate in a little cafe, I bought it from the giftstore. Well, I'm starting a "memory journal" just write down the memories, the day, what we did, etc, along with a picture from then, then toss the item. I find its easy then to get rid of the item, as long as I've preserved the memory. I wouldn't want my kids carrying around a bunch of broken junk just because it meant something at one point way back in time, go forward!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 09:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 101,739,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Do I really need to keep kids old report cards, drawings from kindergarten, etc?
Until they graduate high school, you should keep all school records and documents. Something may come up in later years where you'll need to prove something.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:49 PM

4,032 posts, read 7,649,377 times
I had a similar issue when I moved. I got Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?: An Easy Plan for Losing Weight and Living More (Hardcover) by Peter Walsh I got it through Audible and listened to it as I sorted through the clutter. It helped because it gave good reasons to get rid of that junk! It also helped motivate me to get it done.

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 PM

Have you considered getting a dumpster? You'd be amazed how quickly you can empty your house of clutter when there is a dumpster in the front yard!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Get rid of the "memories" don't hang onto crap for the sentimental value. For example, tonight I parted with a broken paperwieght, I hung onto it for years, because of the memories, I bought it with my mother on a trip, we ate in a little cafe, I bought it from the giftstore. Well, I'm starting a "memory journal" just write down the memories, the day, what we did, etc, along with a picture from then, then toss the item. I find its easy then to get rid of the item, as long as I've preserved the memory. I wouldn't want my kids carrying around a bunch of broken junk just because it meant something at one point way back in time, go forward!
That's a brilliant idea. I might try that. My main clutter is paper and clothing though.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:13 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,004,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Until they graduate high school, you should keep all school records and documents. Something may come up in later years where you'll need to prove something.

Excellent point! My son is in special ed, once I needed some old records, the school charges a fee, and takes forever to process them. I scan them, but feel I need to keep the originals, too.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 AM

5,747 posts, read 11,449,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The final report card of each completed year should be sufficient, as it includes the grades and comments for the previous quarters.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 AM

4,032 posts, read 7,649,377 times
Actually report cards don't matter that much; the student's transcrip has that information. Current IEP and copies of current psych evaluation reports aren't important as much. If you're moving take the Current eval and IEP to the new school ASAP!

Old 01-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Excellent point! My son is in special ed, once I needed some old records, the school charges a fee, and takes forever to process them. I scan them, but feel I need to keep the originals, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
The final report card of each completed year should be sufficient, as it includes the grades and comments for the previous quarters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Actually report cards don't matter that much; the student's transcrip has that information. Current IEP and copies of current psych evaluation reports aren't important as much. If you're moving take the Current eval and IEP to the new school ASAP!
It's definitely important to keep way more than the report card.

I keep past and current IEP and evalautions, all written communications between myself and all school staff, examples of tests, essays, etc.

I've won MANY fights with this information. You'd be amazed at what you think is insignificant that becomes relevant years later.

I have a box for each school year in the attic. I've recently started my 12th box! Can't wait for Graduation this Spring!

My sister told me to save EVERYTHING when my child was having problems in kindergarten.

She was able to win special ed for her daughter when she was able to produce past tests that clearly showed she couldn't do bubble tests.

I'd keep all information even when moving to a new school district or state. The child's past performance and documented special ed history could be relevant.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:28 PM

9,528 posts, read 15,175,278 times
Quote:
I love the idea of an indoor free garage sale, but what about your liability? What if someone gets hurt while "shopping" inside your home? Or vandalism---people will do anything for meaness, my mother moved out of her house, went back for some things, someone had stolen the front steps! No joke! Along with the front door, screen door, plumbling fixtures, even the toilet!
Never heard anybody worry about that before. Don't see where it would be any different than your liability at a regular yard sale at your house. As far as vandalism, if they took something, we would have sent them a thank you note. This mobile home was bought used by my in laws in the early 70s so you can understand the shape it was in. 2 weeks after the free yard sale the mobile home was taken apart. There is a crew around here that will take the trailer down, and clean up the mess. They don't charge anything, just get all the metals out of it...Aluminum, copper, scrap metal, anything they can cash in. All it cost us was the dumpster and hauling it off. About $500 to get rid of a 2 br mobile home! Aint bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues