Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,238,906 times

Advertisements

Getting rid of old clothes is another story--that's all I have is old clothes! Geez, I lok like some old washer woman! That's what happens when you work from home!

Reminds me of years ago I got a call from a charity wanting donations of old clothes, etc, I said if I donate my old clothes, what am I supposed to do, go around naked? To which the guy replied "that depends on what you look like naked" Really, being insulted by Goodwill, that's too much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Do it now - else you will never do it.

Get a big bin for the paper to take to a document desctruction place. It's worth every penny. You don't have to remove staples or paper clips.

Once you move - vow to never get in that bind again.

That's a great suggestion! I have a crick in my neck from shredding papers, its ok for a few things, but not thousands of papers!

Old 12-17-2009, 11:13 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,509,907 times
I figured out what to do with all those things that I didn't know I had, but brought bring back memories when I tried to trash them.

I propped things up on the couch and took pictures. It's not the type of picture you print and put in a photo album. You just toss them on a little camera disc and throw in jewelry/makeup box. Someday, you will toss it in the computer and relive all those memories without taking up all the space.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:26 PM

303 posts, read 561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I figured out what to do with all those things that I didn't know I had, but brought bring back memories when I tried to trash them.

I propped things up on the couch and took pictures. It's not the type of picture you print and put in a photo album. You just toss them on a little camera disc and throw in jewelry/makeup box. Someday, you will toss it in the computer and relive all those memories without taking up all the space.
What an excellent idea!

Old 12-17-2009, 03:51 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,283,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We've moved many times in 17 years. The one big move, abroad, really axed a lot of of our junk. I was a major paper hoarder. I had every note and scrap of paper someone wrote to me since I was little. I had a ton of books. We threw out lots of papers, I gave my books to the library (still sad about that...I had a majorly nice library on a few subjects dear to my heart).

Still...moving forces you to get rid of stuff...We had a storage unit for a year and a half I finally persuaded my husband to get rid of. At $60 a month we were storing CRAP. We got rid of some of it, and the rest he crammed into our apartment.

In the end, you realize (when you store things) how very little you need to live on (clothes, some dishes, your personal stuff).

Donate what you can to charity or a shelter. Give to preschools, the library. Some places will pick up. Yes, maybe someone unscrupulous will make $$ from it but that sin is on them (what I tell my husband when we bring clothes to the local thrift store or homeless shelter).

You should see the 'good stuff' some people throw out in my complex when they leave (or they abandon in their apartments). I bet the maintenance guy gets a pretty penny on Ebay or on the side for some of it.

Good luck to you Mary.
I agree, and excellent feedback from eveyone.

In my last move, I got rid of SO much and as mentioned, it's amazing how things accumulate. Then one day, you wonder where it all came from.

I got rid of a lot of books, magazines (Two big culprits), knick knacks, extra CDs, extra clothes, videos, video games and other things I wasn't using and would be a burden to move. Additionally, I had a storage unit and cleaned that out. In all honesty, I felt both physically and mentally relieved when it was all gone. I now enjoy the few things I kept even more. I also don't miss the things I got rid of.

Now, my fiancee have enough to live happily, but not too much that our home is cluttered. We throw out junk mail immediately and I keep only necessary papers. We don't get newpaper and magazine subscriptions and the garage is clean except for what we use such as tools, my weights, etc. Nothing is stored down there at all. When it comes time to move, it will be easy.

I have made a promise to myself that I will not things pile up ever again to the point where they overtake my life.

What I eventually want to do is have my music collection on an ipod/i-touch system and have it on a dock in the house. I will also find other ways to "live lighter".

Old 12-17-2009, 03:56 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,283,343 times
Marylee wrote:

Quote:
I've found what you really need is time to yourself to sort. Don't let anyone "help" you, or you will go crazy with the suggestions.
Agreed..I have found it's better during the intial cleanout to do it yourself, and then get help midway or towards the end if needed. It's a very stressful task and process, to say the least. Plus, it's not something that can be done in a day.

I did all of mine myself and feel I made the right decisions with regards to giving away/donating and disposing.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:49 PM

We were visiting some friends this weekend who live in an apt. The people upstairs were moving. Mind you, it was just a one-bdr apt, they were moving all weekend, I mean, the racket up there never let up for an instant, it sounded like a frieight train. My kids went up to see what was going on, they said they have more stuff than we do. All stuffed into an apt! Wonder what they are going to do with it? How can you accumulate that much stuff in an apt?

You know, looking around at my house, my daughter said "you turned Daddy's paychecks into this" She's right Think of the money we'd have if we didn't buy all that crap! We couid be millionaires by now! Still not too late, we're going on a minimalist budget, don't buy it unless you can't get through life without it. Amazing what we can do without while building up the bank account!

Someone said its emotionally draining, I agree! I had to take some time off, found myself getting depressed, going through some old stuff. So, if it depresses me now, it will depress me later, shred it! its amazing the stuff I've carried around. It does drain you emotionally, allow a long time to sort, you'll need it!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:03 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,844,162 times
Yard sales are a waste of time, IMO. You spend a day tagging and setting up, a day waiting for people to pilfer through your stuff, and then you're still left with a car load of stuff nobody wanted, that you have to get rid of somehow. I've tried selling stuff on craigslist but I find too many people respond and then never show up.

I live in a small apartment so I can't let things collect too much, for even a day, let alone ten years. Most of the things I'm getting rid of are things that I've had use for, and used often, but they aren't worth the cost of moving to a new home. I just set them by the mail boxes in my building and someone always takes them. Furniture, I set on the curb. There will always be someone who drives by and wants it.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:26 PM

519 posts, read 1,046,389 times
I'm currently helping a friend deal with her clutter - it's easy to help if you know how.

I used to be a house cleaner - decluttering is not rocket science.

When cleaning out clutter you see definite 'trends' within the mess - my friend has too many school newsletters and too much craft paraphernalia, for example.

She manages to throw out everything else not related to those things.

But has managed to make quite a mess in 7 years regardless.

Thanks for your post OP - I love to talk about clutter and I love to clean clutter too - that's why I left house cleaning --- there was too much mopping and not enough de-cluttering work.

I hope you're enjoying your journey - don't forget to take some before/ after photo's.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:15 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,014,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
What I eventually want to do is have my music collection on an ipod/i-touch system and have it on a dock in the house. I will also find other ways to "live lighter".
We burned all our music and stored it on our computer. We kept the CDs as proof that we own the music, but we dumped all the cases and liner notes. They fit in a big, black CD notebook that I bought at Target a few years ago.

One option if you want to minimize your music costs and do away with the storage issues is to use Pandora. It's an online radio station that allows you to customize your mix. A basic membership is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
When cleaning out clutter you see definite 'trends' within the mess - my friend has too many school newsletters and too much craft paraphernalia, for example.
Scrapbooking and card making are major clutter makers. My MIL has an entire room dedicated to her hobby. As a borderline minimalist, I get the hives just looking at all the stuff, even though she keeps it very organized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues