Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:06 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,269 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been put in this situation? I can afford my current situation (just barely) and have been offered a job that will double my pay in a city just a few hours away, but I have no resources to afford such a move (deposit/first month rent while still holding a mortgage in my current location, etc). Does anyone have any creative ideas that could help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 02:25 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Has anyone ever been put in this situation? I can afford my current situation (just barely) and have been offered a job that will double my pay in a city just a few hours away, but I have no resources to afford such a move (deposit/first month rent while still holding a mortgage in my current location, etc). Does anyone have any creative ideas that could help?
Best I can suggest is Ebay. You'd be surprised at what you can sell there. Always specify local pickup only. Gardening stuff, clothes, jewelry, musical instuments, power tools, it can all add up and be enough for you to afford the move. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Put everything you own into storage. Rent out the house/condo. Find a place to stay for a few weeks in the new city--extended stay hotel, friend's sofa, even a youth hostel will work for a week or two--and then use your first paycheck to get an apartment. Then go back and get your things from storage, and deal with selling the house later.

This is how I've done several cross-country moves when I've had a job waiting for me.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:36 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
what about a loan?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:37 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times
My friend was in a similar situation a few years ago. He didn't want to borrow money so he commuted 2 hrs each way for 6 weeks. After he got an apt, he moved then put the house up for sale. It sold quickly because he wasn't emotionally attached to the house and sold it for a loss.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:29 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Put everything you own into storage. Rent out the house/condo. Find a place to stay for a few weeks in the new city--extended stay hotel, friend's sofa, even a youth hostel will work for a week or two--and then use your first paycheck to get an apartment. Then go back and get your things from storage, and deal with selling the house later.
This is how I've done several cross-country moves when I've had a job waiting for me.
Great advice! This is what I would do in that situation. Find something inexpensive to live in temporarily. And when you start getting paychecks you'll be good to go! Also, if there is someone/anyone whom you can borrow money from (good friend, family member, etc.) see if you can at least get some cash for a security deposit. Congratulations on your new job and good luck on your move!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 AM

40 posts, read 111,880 times
Get a truck with a campershell on it, actually pretty comfy lol. Or commute, had family do that a few times.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
I agree with the extended stay hotel idea.

One such extended stay hotel near me has rates starting at $179/wk., and once you stay 3 weeks, you get 1 week free. I challenge you to find a cheaper apartment ANYWHERE. After maid service, a pool, and utilities included, it's so cheap!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I agree with the long term hotel plus borrowing the first, last and security deposit money from a friend. Doubling your income is worth the move.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:29 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I agree with the extended stay hotel idea.

One such extended stay hotel near me has rates starting at $179/wk., and once you stay 3 weeks, you get 1 week free. I challenge you to find a cheaper apartment ANYWHERE. After maid service, a pool, and utilities included, it's so cheap!

One I stayed in when I moved to NC for my job was only 85 a week but it did not include any maid services. you took out your own trash, made your own bed if you wanted it made up. It was cheap and I didn't care to carry out the trash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues