Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 PM

31 posts, read 50,407 times

Advertisements

I am trying to secure a job in texas for my husband and I.. Our job titles can go practically anywhere. He works for mcdonalds, and im a cna and cma so we are very well rounded with our careers. But our only problem is that alot of places wont even look at our resumes because we dont have a local address.

So my question to everyone is. If you have moved from a different state how did you secure a job before you left?
And if you did secure it may you please fill me in on how you did it, and how soon before your move did you do it?
Did you have to make a trip there in order for them to give you even a thought?

Please inform me and fill me in on all of the state moving secrets. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by mrz. riverz; 12-30-2009 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
If you can (and most places prefer it these days) apply online. Don't apply to every position. Just the ones you are qualified for. For your husband, I'm sure McDonalds has a website. For a CNA, you could just start with a google search or if you know of specific hospitals and the like, you can go to their websites.

I had some places that wouldn't look at me b/c I was applying from out of state. There's not much you can do to get around that - unless it is a job you really want, call the hiring manager or better yet the manager/supervisor of the department you are applying for. Let them know you are serious about relocating. Sometimes they can talk to HR and get your application through the first look.

You may have to travel there for an interview (again, depending on the job). Because there are people looking for jobs everywhere, don't expect to get any travel/relocating expenses. Plan ahead for those. Make sure you have the money to visit and move.

If you do have to go there for an interview, try to line up as many as you can while you are visiting. Again, call HR and let them know you will be in town and are interested in interviewing if possible. Many may interview you, but that doesn't always mean they will seriously consider your application. Just depends. Also, if you are making a trip, try to get a feel for living situation. For me, I knew I would be in an apartment so I looked online so that I could get an idea of what areas I wanted to look at and made a list of places to visit/get applications/ect. Then when I went to interview, I made a weekend of it and also looked at apartments. It may seem overwhelming, but it's probably better to get a lot done in one trip.

Hmmm...I think that's all I've got off the top of my head....good luck to you!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 AM

353 posts, read 1,000,780 times
My spouse and I moved (1000 miles) without jobs, we scrimped and saved prior to the move to assure we had funding to rent/live until we found work. It took me 6 months to find steady work, my spouse 3 weeks.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
How about going about it half way? One person moves to Texas and looks for job, the other person stays put and acts like a life boat in case things don't work out in Texas.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:44 AM

662 posts, read 1,410,709 times
Be sure you let any prospective employers know that you are relocating yourselves, not expecting anyone to pick up that tab. I wish you luck.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
Enclose a cover letter saying you are relocating to the area. when i was planning to move years ago, they called me and we did a phone interview.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:57 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
Enclose a cover letter saying you are relocating to the area. when i was planning to move years ago, they called me and we did a phone interview.

Excellent point! I was able to do some of the initial interviews over the phone as well but they did want to meet me in person for an interview eventually. But if HR does a screening interview, you may be able to do that over the phone!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:47 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
Mcdonalds doesn't have an internal transfer program?

Old 12-31-2009, 08:11 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,835 times
We have moved several times and my best suggestion is one move first and the other follow. We have done it both ways and this way works the best. Also remember the economy is still recovering and places aren't hiring "just anyone" anymore. you have many many people competing for those jobs. Even a job at McDonalds. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
We were pretty naive about this. We really didn't expect the job to pay for our relocation. Darn good thing it did, or we'd be broke, though. DH found a job online and applied. When HR called him the girl was confused as to how he found the job/why he applied because they only advertised locally. It took months, but when they couldn't find a candidate locally, they gave DH a chance. He got the job, and they paid for our move.

ETA - first interview was on the phone. Then DH was flown out for an 8 hour in person interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues