Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 08:20 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times

Advertisements

Thanks - I know it had to be something ...husband but I could not figure out the D part. Then, last night I saw DW - got the wife part but still couldn't figure out the D part! My husband was clueless too! But I love this forum and am interested in the responses b/c deep down, I think a lot of us grapple with this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:28 AM

71 posts, read 424,339 times
Thanks canibeyou! I think you're right about the flipping the coin thing. The funny part is that I know if the flip said we should stay where we are, I would want to flip it again so we could move! I guess that's my true answer! Must just be the guilt of leaving everyone and nervousness of meeting all new people in an all new place that's making me feel so hesitant to go.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CObound View Post
So I need some opinions. The main question I have is, 'Is it more important to live near family and friends, or is it more important to get out and live somewhere you have always dreamed of living when you have the chance?' The reason I ask is that I am 25 and will be finishing grad school in the spring of 2009. My fiancee and I will be getting married around that time and he will be finishing up a 3 year rotation that he is in for his current job. After the wedding will be the perfect time for us to pick up and move to somewhere new and exciting, but we are torn because we also like being near family and friends. We currently live in the midwest and besides being near people we love, there's not much else we like about it. I am absolutely in love with Colorado and have dreamed of moving there ever since I visited for the first time when I was 18. I have been back to visit multiple times and love it more each time. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are torn between moving far away (where we couldn't exactly come home for the weekend) and staying close to our family and friends. What do you think is more important? We keep saying maybe we will go somewhere farther away 'just for a few years' but we know the truth is that if we move out there we probably won't want to come back...at least not anytime soon...not to mention we will probably have pretty good jobs by then that we won't want to leave. We aren't worried about finding jobs and money really isn't an issue (of course if we were trying to move to California it would be a different story)....so what should we do??
If you want to move, then move. You have to live your life for you - not for your family. Sure, you may not want to move back, but you don't have to if you don't want to. With so much transportation available, it shouldn't be a problem for your family to visit you where you are or for you to hop a plane, train, car, whatever to see your family. You choose where you want to live. Your family members got to choose where they wanted to live.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:33 PM

244 posts, read 814,439 times
My moving adventures started when I moved from Louisiana (my hometown) to Oklahoma. I stayed there for two years, quit my job, and moved to Georgia, where I remained for six years. Got laid off from my job out there, so I moved back to Oklahoma, and have been here for a month. I am now planning to pack up my car and move further out west. That is scary for me because I have no job prospects and the last time I moved without a job was when I moved to GA, but I had family to stay with out there. This time around, I won't have family to stay with. But after reading the posts on this forum, it is inspiring me to just take the leap. I have a generous amount of money to start off with, but most of my family disagrees with me just moving without a job. I hope I can overcome my fears and just do it. I have that relocation itch and it won't go away!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelboo View Post
My moving adventures started when I moved from Louisiana (my hometown) to Oklahoma. I stayed there for two years, quit my job, and moved to Georgia, where I remained for six years. Got laid off from my job out there, so I moved back to Oklahoma, and have been here for a month. I am now planning to pack up my car and move further out west. That is scary for me because I have no job prospects and the last time I moved without a job was when I moved to GA, but I had family to stay with out there. This time around, I won't have family to stay with. But after reading the posts on this forum, it is inspiring me to just take the leap. I have a generous amount of money to start off with, but most of my family disagrees with me just moving without a job. I hope I can overcome my fears and just do it. I have that relocation itch and it won't go away!
Ahhh, just tell your family not to worry. You have lots of C-D family out west!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:33 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelboo View Post
I am now planning to pack up my car and move further out west. That is scary for me because I have no job prospects and the last time I moved without a job was when I moved to GA, but I had family to stay with out there. This time around, I won't have family to stay with. But after reading the posts on this forum, it is inspiring me to just take the leap. I have a generous amount of money to start off with, but most of my family disagrees with me just moving without a job. I hope I can overcome my fears and just do it. I have that relocation itch and it won't go away!
I did that at one time,moving away with no contacts or job prospects. A couple of times I ended up on my butt,nearly homeless. I even had money to start out with but you need to budget for worst case. It wouldn't hurt you to check out the job market anyway for where you're going,in worst worst case you can always go back to your family.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 PM

206 posts, read 528,911 times
Default Wonderful Thread

I wish i would have read this thread before i attempted to start a new thread on Relocation. I think the response on this thread is wonderful, you'll answered just about all of my questions and reassured me of my fears. HockeyMom72 you almost brought me to tears, that has exactly been my recent experience with my current location vs my original location. Thanks CD crew.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:24 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,108 times
Yep, made the move 7 months ago from NYC to NC. I had no real friends and no immediate family close by. I sold everything and made the 10 hour drive, carrying only clothes, computer and television. So far, I love my move here and have no regrets. I did have a job before moving here. There are no regrets about moving, family and friends now have a vacation spot to visit. Since I get 5 weeks vacation, I go back to NYC for all those things that I miss. Once I get a taste of NYC, I can't wait to go back to my peaceful life.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:33 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
I was in the oilfield for 22 years. I moved 31 times. I moved alot to where I never seen the area before. What I liked I knew I would be moving again. I just really didn't know when.Ha,ha. My last move, in retirement, was to a little town. East of Nashville, TN. We now will be moving back to Wyoming. As soon as we sell the house and land here. Ha,ha. Hopefully our last move,forever!!!!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:14 AM

25 posts, read 114,021 times
Default Moving

Does anyone have a more recent leap of faith? These all seem nostolgic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues