Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:32 PM

154 posts, read 925,855 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anybody else has ever walked away from their life and took a leap of faith to try moving to a different state. Specifically I mean moving away from somewhere where you had a good job, your family was there, you spent your entire life there without ever living anywhere else.

What was your experience? Do you regret it? Did you end up moving back home? Would you do it again and why? Where did you move from and to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 05:50 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Yup,when i was 18. Born and raised in a small town in N.H. met a boyfriend that summer who was only visiting his grandmother for the summer months and i packed up and moved to FL with him never living anywhere else other than that small town i was born in. All my family still lives there. Though i'm no longer with the same boyfriend, i still live in FL and been here a total of 13 years. Never considered moving back home because little did i know how much of a different world there is outside of that small town. There really wasn't anything going good for that town other than the papermill which would shut down every other year. still not much going on in that town. I don't regret moving to FL. Though, I'm about to pack it up again and move to TN. Small town that reminds me of my home town in N.H. only not quite so cold in the winter time. I enjoy FL but i do miss the 4 seasons and my dream home is to have a log home and no chance i'm going to build one of them in FL so we're on our way to TN in about 5 years. Got the property already, just killing time while my daughter finished school. Now the in-laws are wanting to move with us as well as our friends who already have property as well so it won't be quite so isolated this time around. at least we'll have people to share the new experience with this time around.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:51 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Left it all and moved to another COUNTRY. Did that in late 1999 and returned in late 2003.

Mission nearly accomplished

Old 05-23-2007, 05:54 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
Close, I lived part of my life near Boston and half near Dallas, both places because my family was there...

In 2001 I picked up and moved to Florida...no family, only one friend that I knew from high school, and yes I had a job waiting for me so that made it a bit easier.

I had only been to Florida on vacation, the lifestyle was SO different but I took to it like a duck to water and I never looked back.

While there are things I miss from both Texas and Massachussets, I can't imagine myself living any other place. I do want to take my daughter to visit New England but only in the warmer months...I can't take the cold.

I have even thought about taking a contract position in the area of Umass hospital for 6 months so we could be there through the summer and then my daughter could go to school there for the first quarter before we came back...we would have to leave before it got snowy though...I turn into a pumpkin when it snows...

Old 05-23-2007, 06:02 PM

31 posts, read 141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
I was wondering if anybody else has ever walked away from their life and took a leap of faith to try moving to a different state. Specifically I mean moving away from somewhere where you had a good job, your family was there, you spent your entire life there without ever living anywhere else.

What was your experience? Do you regret it? Did you end up moving back home? Would you do it again and why? Where did you move from and to?
Yes, when I met my DH and he's in the Navy. My theory is you can always go home, take a leap!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM

49 posts, read 273,907 times
In 2001, my husband & I moved from a small town in Alabama to Daytona Beach, FL. What a change and I'm so glad we did. In June, we will be moving to a small town in Colorado! Think we've got the moving bug!!! We do plan to buy a home in Colorado......so that might keep us there a while! I am so ready for the 4 seasons again.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:26 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Yep, quit a good paying job in Ohio to move to San Diego. Lived out there for about 9 months. Just didn't work for me.

Years later, finished grad school in Ohio & was working at a great school; had a great life; great apt & all my family was nearby. I went & joined the Army. Got to live in Korea for a year & travel to China, Australia, Thailand, & Vietnam. Meet my husband in the army. Meet some amazing people in the Army. Know people who never made it back from Iraq.

Now, I am a SAHM still homesick for Ohio but making do down here until things change.

Glad I did everything that I had. Learned so much about myself, other people & the world. Don't regret any of it. Knew that my actions had consequences. Think I am a happy person b/c I was able to just get up & go the times I did & now just am content to be with my husband & son.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:45 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
When I was 20 I decided to leave home in NJ for the sunshine and palm trees of Florida. I rented an apartment over the phone and loaded everything that would fit into my chevy beretta and drove to Orlando to start my new life. I got a job within a week and proceeded to establish myself there.

About a year later an old flame from NJ came to visit- we rekindled that flame and I moved back to be with him. We got married, and had a baby but I found myself feeling homesick for Florida. A couple years later the marriage went bad and I loaded up my baby and everything that would fit in my Subaru and headed south once again. No job and the offer of a friend's guest room until I got established. My family was furious and I was practically disowned. They all thought I was crazy to do this with a child in tow. By in my heart I knew this was where I wanted- and needed to be.

That was 13 years ago- and I have no regrets. I immediately got a job that opened the doors to a successful career that I love, I completed my bachelor's degree and started some graduate work....... my son is starting high school in August and loves his home town. My father moved here about 8 years ago and my mother also chose to retire here.

I know not all stories are as successful as mine- and I took a huge leap of faith coming here alone, jobless and virtually homeless with a baby. But I have no regrets. Sometimes the best opportunities require that leap...... remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
Yup! In 1985 at 30 I moved from NY to Fl. My family and friends couldn't beleive I did it. I worked hard, bought a waterfront home...I absolutely adored the lifestyle. A few years ago alot of my clients started buying vacation homes in the mountains in NC, I decided that was my dream...to live in Fl and have a place to escape to during the hot summer months. For the last 2 years I have been travelling back and forth and I love both places!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:23 PM

460 posts, read 2,343,829 times
Hi, I am about to move from Illinois to Florida in 5 weeks and I am excited but nervous.
When I was 5, my parents and I moved from New Orleans to Illinois and my mom said that they had not even found a place to live yet. I dont remember any of this, but she told me that everything worked out fine, but it was pretty scary.
Now, most of my family lives here in Illinois. I do have some scattered around in New Orleans and MO.
Sometimes I lay awake at night thinking everything over, hoping we are doing the right thing by moving so far away from most of my family.
We are sooo excited about moving, have always wanted to do this, but scared at the same time.
I find myself actually already just a little homesick for the way Illinois "looks", with the fields of corn and the farms etc. (I know , I know, but I have lived here for the past 25 years, lol)
I know that in time, Florida will become "home"...
REading this thread has helped me quite a bit too..

Jen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues