Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 05:45 AM

20 posts, read 57,264 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at a possible relocation from CT to MD later on in the year. Right now we are doing some very preliminary research on moving expenses (we are hoping for it to be company paid but not sure yet).
We have moved a few times from apts in the past and have always done it ourselves (hell!) We would be moving from our first home and have added two toddlers to the mix, 3 bedroom, 1.5 baths, 1600 sq ft. I really would like to get movers this time around but have no idea what a ballpark cost might even be--are we talking 2-3 thousand, 5 thousand, (yikes) 10,000 dollars? I would be most interested in packing myself and having someone else load, drive, unload--I don't like the idea of people mucking around in my stuff and charging me 20$ to pack a roll of toilet paper. We would be driving our cars ourselves
Every estimate calculator I have found online has asked for personal info and wants to call us with quotes--and we are really not at that point yet and don't want to be fielding phone calls.
I know that some of the expenses would be tax deductible and as I said we are still hoping for the co. to pay, we're just trying to do a little planning. I have never moved a house before or had any professional help moving at all.
Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 06:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I know for sure there is one moving cost estimator that doesn't require any personal information. It just has drop down boxes for home size, FROM - TO, etc.

Here it is:

http://tools.gmsrelo.com/ToolsFas/Tool_MovingQuoteCity.asp (broken link)

Other moving costs: realtor commissions.

Figure when it's all done 8% to 10% of the house you are selling. So a $200K home is $16K to $20K.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 AM

20 posts, read 57,264 times
Thanks Charles, that was helpful. We're already figuring in the realtor commissions : (
I'm just really crossing my fingers that the company will pick up the tab or at least a big portion of it.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
For an average size house it cost us $3500. We packed ourselves.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:53 AM

521 posts, read 4,413,964 times
You're costs for a full service mover can range between $3,000 and $10,000 depending on what services you require and how much stuff you have to move.

Looking for cost estimates in a forum like this is dangerous for your budget and might affect the benefits or services you're able to negotiate with your employer in their relocation package – especially moving between high cost areas like Connecticut and Maryland.

Beginning January 1, 2008, a licensed interstate household goods motor carrier can base their charges on whatever terms are defined in their published tariff.

Most legitimate national van lines base their charges on the distance you're traveling and the amount of weight and additional accessorial services you request or are required to complete your relocation.

Some movers, internet move brokers and freight forwarders base their charges on the amount of cubic feet or linear space your shipment occupies in a truck. While this is perfectly legal under the binding estimate provisions of the Consumer Protection Regulations, the practice is the basis is many, many complaints for folks claiming they were ripped off by unscrupulous rogue operators.

When starting your relocation plans, your best bet is to first review Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move, a publication you'll find at the FMCSA's Protect Your Move.gov website.

Next is to obtain at least three in-home estimates from reputable LOCAL companies. As long a their within 50 miles of your home, they're required to provide you with a written actual weight and/or binding (guaranteed) price estimate unless you elect to waive your rights. That's not advisable considering the size of your home. Obtaining accurate pricing information from local reelocation professionals will better equip you when negotiating with your employer.

Click here for some professional suggestions on How to Find a Reputable Mover.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 AM

444 posts, read 1,250,683 times
The key is getting at least 5 quotes. We've had movers move us across town (in MD) and also from MD to SC. The price difference was surprising.

I've went with Ma & Pop for the local and National chain for the state-state. No matter who you pick....the helpers (not the drivers) are um...interesting characters.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
It ran me about 4000 dollars to have everything moved from Michigan to Florida. That was packing everything myself.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:51 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,102 times
I moved this past fall from CT to VA and the moving cost was about $3500. They packed only our kitchen and I did the rest. Get alot of quotes...ours ranged from $3000 to $7000. and get references!!! My husbands company picked up $5K so we included house hunting trips. Maybe you can at least negotiate something, even if it's not the whole amount. Good luck!!

Old 01-22-2010, 08:57 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
The advice from RikkiTikki is the best advice one can give. Cost depends on a whole bunch of things and what one person paid may not be what you pay because your situation is not the same as that persons.

Many problems people have in moving is because they did not do the homework and were not able to understand what they were getting into. If you do not understand the process and terminology, learn it before you sign anything!

But i think the reason many have problems is that they know enough to see the red flag but the ignore it or make exciuses for any negative they saw because the company was able to distract the person with some lower cost sparkle. Some people will sign their property away even when everything showed a bad company because the company play on our greatest weakness, money! They dazzle you with sparkling low prices and you jump into the acid without thinking twice.

Read what RikkiTikki posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues