U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,179 times

Advertisements

Dude! Do it! Do it! Do it! (Just record it, and send us videos if something goes wrong ). And, don't hold me liable to this if you try it. This advice is purely arm couch coaching. In all seriousness. My Dad has seen it done. My wife and I are moving 2 cars from VA to AZ, and will be doing this. (One on the trailer, and one inside). The KEY to doing it safely is getting the car in and out of the truck. And that is EASY! All you do, is drive around some industrial / commercial areas until you find a raised loading dock with a ramp you can drive your car up, or an in ground loading dock that you can drive your car on. Back the truck up to the loading dock, and drive your onto the dock and into the car. Piece of cake! What about weight? no biggie... Compared to 3 large upright pianos (800 lbs each) your car will be easy on the truck. If you are REALLY worried, buy some 2x12's or something and put them under the wheels to spread the weight more evenly. Joey
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,860 times
I'm going to do exactly that. I'm taking myself and a few items back to Texas. I bought a couple of cars while here in California too. And they're both going with me, one inside the truck, and one on a tow dolly behind the truck. I know, it's not legal. What they don't know, cant possibly hurt them. Anyway...I don't intend to nail anything down inside the truck. Come on now...nails? Use some heavy duty screws and *********r chocks to the floor. I also thought about removing the wheels. I use a wooden "ball joint skate" at work for cars that have a broken axle or no tires. I could modify the skate so that it could take some screws and then set the car up on them. And then tie it down. It should be strapped in front, and in back. Attached to the frame is a good choice. Your vehicle should have transport slots in the frame in different locations of the car. Crap... almost forgot, how am I ever going to load and then unload this thing?? With a rollback flatbed tow truck! Different deck heights don't matter, nor do you need a loading dock. Call your local tow company and tell them you have a vehicle in a box truck and need a flatbed to get it out, they'll be happy to help.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:49 AM

12,581 posts, read 14,706,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, if you decide to go ahead with this idea, please videotape it and post it here so we can see how it went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMNZrdh6f4

Old 09-22-2016, 08:50 AM

12,581 posts, read 14,706,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, if you decide to go ahead with this idea, please videotape it and post it here so we can see how it went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRFO6wMLbw8

Old 10-05-2016, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,778 times
So I just did this, and consulted this forum and others on how (or if) to do it. And yes, $1200 is what I saved by putting a car in a 26 foot Penske and towing another behind it on a trailer. The car transporter I tried to hire screwed me and I had to rent a car at the destination for my wife which increased the cost.

This drive was from Oregon to Massachusetts on the 80/90.

The car inside was a Infiniti FX45 SUV. It was loaded to the right of the box all the way to the front, having almost an empty gas tank. It was then tied town criss cross in the front and back with tie downs and ringlets screwed into the wood with 4 points of screws. It was loaded to the brim inside and Rugs and blankets were thrown on top of it, then buried with very light boxes, especially over glass. By the time it was loaded and tied down it almost looked 'stanced', wheels deep in the wheel wells and not moving.

The rest of the truck was packed, and I bet it reached the 10k limit.

The truck was a diesel and got around 8mpg.

The truck went 30mph over just about every upward climb higher than 4% grade, but other trucks experience the same.

We had no problems, but I want to make this perfectly clear, there is no margin for error. Getting caught in pavement groves is hair raising and turns above 20mph take great caution. Rental trucks can go faster than semi's in most places so passing is a must, but also quite brazen. Lastly, no weigh stations were open, but my copilot said they don't take private vehicles (moving trucks) anyway. A few signs said 13k tons or more are considered trucks and the Penske truck very explicitly states on the side, less than 26k lbs (13 tons).

Also, the truck performed at 70mph quite well on declines and flats. Wind wasn't too much of an issue as it was so heavily loaded and the governor keeps the truck in the correct speed for most of the declines. You will never have a problem with the brakes, there are plenty of those. We got caught in a slight bit of rain (20 minutes in slow traffic) and I was quite happy that was it for the drive.

But like I said. One sleepy overreaction or oversteer and it's as good as gone. Rollover guy territory.

Also, the car in the truck was the 'beater'. It has very scuffed paint and I expected more. Even with as much diligence as we took to prepare it, stuff rubbed and took the paint clean off in places. This was expected.

I am going to go ahead and say that there isn't much difference between the truck with or without the car inside. It is still a beast and takes a lot of care. I think the difference is what happens when a rollover occurs. A bunch of boxes and some furniture is just litter, whereas a car is a deadly projecile, that can also fly through the front of the cab.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:20 AM

11,738 posts, read 16,468,435 times
This may be the setup you need. A couple age 75, traveled 100's of miles the same way. The man hooked it up himself.
Attached Thumbnails
Putting my car INTO a rental truck-fedxz.jpg  

Old 10-06-2016, 06:06 PM

11,116 posts, read 16,801,277 times
Those people who want to put a car inside a rented UHaul, Penske, or other .... you had better drain the tank of gas ! Plus, if you hide the fact that there is a car in the rental truck and there is an accident, you will be in deep doo doo. Deep.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:33 PM

11,738 posts, read 16,468,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Those people who want to put a car inside a rented UHaul, Penske, or other .... you had better drain the tank of gas ! Plus, if you hide the fact that there is a car in the rental truck and there is an accident, you will be in deep doo doo. Deep.
I thought doo doo was a 4 letter word?

I guess car in truck it feasible. It would prevent fish tailing that we got when pulling a trailer which can be dangerous.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,698 times
Just remove the front bumper and install a tow bar and magnetic tow tights if it is an automatic remove the driveshaft if it is an automatic. Miatas don't weigh anything.

Old 10-07-2016, 09:44 AM

73 posts, read 72,785 times
Transporting a vehicle within a rental truck is highly ill-advised.

Professional Movers do this on the regular, because they have the proper equipment. No Professional Mover will load a vehicle on a Straight Truck. These are only loaded on Trailers, and are secured with specially designed straps that attached to the vehicles suspension system.

If you are caught transporting a vehicle in a rental truck, chances are, you're buying a brand new rental truck.

You can rent Car trailers, or if you lack the proper vehicle to tow a car with, Just contact an Auto Carrier. Dependable Auto Shippers, Reindeer Relocation, Reliable Auto Transport, Horseless Carriage. These are all names of a few reputable Auto Carriers. They provide a Door to Door service at affordable rates.

Transporting a vehicle in a rental truck is exceptionally dangerous not only to you, but to all the drivers you share the road with. Let the professionals take care of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues