Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,348,207 times

Advertisements

All good posts/advice above.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 08:43 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
I agree with YellowSnow and will add that, although the place can enhance or detract from your experience, it's the people in your life that make it worthwhile.

My husband and I have been living apart for 8 months now and, due to circumstances not completely within our control, it's very up in the air as to when we will live together again - and where. It could be this fall, or not till next year, or even longer than that. That uncertainty adds all sorts of complications to what I can/can't plan for and what kinds of commitments I can make (a job, for example) or even what interests to pursue (travel, education and such).

So, personally, I wouldn't consider myself on hold at all if I was in your situation. I'd be relishing having my nearest and dearest right there next to me.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Obviously if we were saving big chunks of money every month to help or had job leads that would certainly bolster our spirits about things, but we're still a ways off from that.
I started blogging and that helps keep me focused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926
I do know this.... if you wait until all your ducks are in a row before you make the move it may never happen. Over the years I have found that my ducks will never all be in a row no matter how hard I try. However, I refuse to be miserable.
I do think some planning is prudent. Everyone should at least have an exit strategy if things do not work out and try to have things as in order as possible. That is why I have been stuck where I am for three years. However, you are right, there comes a point where you just have to take the plunge and do it. I'm finally moving for sure in the fall, come hell or high water.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:52 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
Planning is a definite. However, I have this very clear memory of my husband and I driving to work one day over 25 years ago. We had been married about 2 months and were 22 years old. During this drive we talked about starting a family and decided right then and there that if we waited until we bought a home, or we traveled the world we would never have achieved all our 'dreams' before time ran out. The time would never be 'perfect' because life just gets in the way. So our first child was born on our first anniversary and life has been one adventure after another ever since. We have traveled and bought a home and had children and been poor and been doing fine.

You do have to plan to move, but I am not going to plan for the next 10 years so everything is perfect. I know things will be a struggle - I just need to start planning - soon in order to keep my sanity .

Old 02-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Still holding (trying not to). The weather is nice and mild today for the first time in a while. While it's nice to get out in it, there is still nothing to really do around here (except the park or maybe a museum or movie) so I'm getting even more stir crazy wishing we were living in the area we really want to be (central Florida) and its myriad of activities to do...must go figure out ways to save money...keep living life...

Old 02-21-2010, 02:19 PM

451 posts, read 977,087 times
Default I Can't Wait To Move!!

Hi. We're in a somewhat similar boat here. However, we want to move to a northern state. We currently live in AZ. I should also mention that we've both spent the majority of our lives in another state, yet part of the land of four seasons (yes, winter did seem the longest), so we know what we'd be getting into. We are hoping to move soon.

We're sadly in one of the "big five" states relative to the housing bubble and subsequent burst. We have a home to sell. I know it is going to not be as easy as our first 3 moves back home. I admit that it is hard to keep a good thought sometimes.

Our issue is neighbors/neighborhood. I can't categorically say it is "all of Tucson" as I've asked a question on the Tucson forum and have been treated great. However, it doesn't mean that what we're experiencing isn't happening either. I just cleaned up the last piece of garbage that one of the charming neighbors slung onto our property (it has been happening a lot) and I'll admit some days it is very hard to deal with.

Now, no place is utopia. However, we lived in 3 different cities before the transfer here and have never experienced this. In fairness, there are a few very nice areas in this city that friends have lived in without this problem. But, I digress. Bottom line and taking everything into consideration, I see more advantages in the north than I do in the south...but again, that is just my opinion.

For our move, we've done the clean up, boxing up items we won't need for a few months, removal of clutter, etc. With that done, I was increasingly discouraged with this neighborhood issue and really had a very bad attitude towards the whole thing. For me, I had to try to stop my negativity myself. I try to find good things daily here. For instance, it currently is not 110 degrees so I have stopped generalizing that it is "too hot here to jog". I can jog outside now. You get the idea.

I am hoping that putting some positive energy out there will elicit a sale soon (we really don't want to have to sell empty). However, it does not mean that I can't wait to move, nor does it mean that I enjoy picking up the garbage slung onto my front yard amongst the other passive/aggressive behavior. It just means that I had to try to change my attitude (which for me was the next step after packing and staging, etc.). Honestly though, I don't always succeed, but I do try. I've got to wait it out either way.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
However, it does not mean that I can't wait to move, nor does it mean that I enjoy picking up the garbage slung onto my front yard amongst the other passive/aggressive behavior.
Man, what jerks! You sound like you have a good attitude. I wish you luck in getting to "your" Utopia!

Take care and let's everyone check-in every now and then and keep each other motivated. Hmmm...maybe I should start a new thread on that...

Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 AM

One of my first (and easiest) actions to prepare to move is selling stuff on EBAY. I have set up the account and thought about the cool stuff I want to sell, but haven't done anything . I don't know why I wasn't motivated this weekend.....

Part of my problem is that my husband is not working. His store closed on Jan 31 and he is not making much effort to find another job. His bonus money is slowly running out and I am consumed by his lack of effort! I want him to focus on job hunting with a store (he is in retail management) that is nationwide so we have to potential to make a transfer move. I think right now I am just frustrated.

Plus, the weather was beautiful this weekend! It was just warm enough (60 degree's) to make you forget the miserable winter for a day.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 AM

768 posts, read 942,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
One of my first (and easiest) actions to prepare to move is selling stuff on EBAY. I have set up the account and thought about the cool stuff I want to sell, but haven't done anything . I don't know why I wasn't motivated this weekend.....

Part of my problem is that my husband is not working. His store closed on Jan 31 and he is not making much effort to find another job. His bonus money is slowly running out and I am consumed by his lack of effort! I want him to focus on job hunting with a store (he is in retail management) that is nationwide so we have to potential to make a transfer move. I think right now I am just frustrated.
Sounds like A) You're a grown woman relying too much on your husband in pursuit of your dreams and B)You're ambitious and he's not. Time for a big talk about where you see your lives headed? Throwing it out there.

I apologize in advance if that's hurtful or "too far" for a stranger. It's always a fine line trying to balance sincerity and mean-spirited line-crossing. Just how I see it.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Sounds like A) You're a grown woman relying too much on your husband in pursuit of your dreams and B)You're ambitious and he's not. Time for a big talk about where you see your lives headed? Throwing it out there.

I apologize in advance if that's hurtful or "too far" for a stranger. It's always a fine line trying to balance sincerity and mean-spirited line-crossing. Just how I see it.
I have written several replies and erased them all because they were not appropriate. Choice A is totally laughable, but you do not know me so I am not upset. Choice B is better but not exactly correct either. We both want the same thing, but I am the one who will actually work the hardest to achieve the goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues