Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 05:04 PM

31 posts, read 104,866 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Is there a weather website out there where you can see a weather forecast for a specific route? I will be making a cross-country drive soon and was hoping to find something where I could enter my route, and more or less see any potential weather hazards in the forecast for the route I am going.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 05:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I simply use weather.gov. Type in your starting zip. There should be a zoomable, panable map on the right side and down a little, called "Detailed Point Forecast". Just click a few points on your route. Each time you re-center the map, you get the latest forecast for that area. I also read the "forecast discussion" for each location - that is the "horses mouth", the report as issued from the meteorologist.

So, when I drove from Huntsville, AL to Columbus OH, I'd start in Huntsville, then center on Nashville, then Louisville, then Cincinnati, then Columbus.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:27 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I usually check the National Weather Service (NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration ) Put in your zip code on the left side of the page. That will take you to the forecast for your area. Scroll down a little and, on the right side you'll see a couple of "radar and satellite images". Click on the first map. On the left, under reflectivity, click on "base loop". That will put your radar in motion. In the box above the radar put the zip of where you're going and it will take you to the forecast page for where you want to go.
That may be long and drawn out but I bookmarked that page that way and have radar pop up as soon as I open it.
You can also go to the Transportation Department for each state (KYDOT-Kentucky, INDOT-Indiana TNDOT-Tennessee. They will usually have road conditions for you. My step daughter and her girls would be coming to see us and be slowed down on the interstate. She would call us to check that state's DOT site and see what the hold up was.
Have a safe trip!

Old 02-15-2010, 06:12 AM

381 posts, read 1,365,687 times
Interstate Forecast Welcome=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues