Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times

Advertisements

The only state I've been to that asked any questions was California, and their only wanted to know if I had any plants, fruits, or wild/exotic animals (IIRC). The fellow I talked to had no interest in my cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
The vaccination records and certificate of health are required for airline travel and also if you are entering Canada with your pets. They will look at the vaccination record especially, and when re-entering the U.S. from Canada you will need to have those records also.

If you are driving across the U.S. you really don't need them, however, I'd be sure I have them for when you arrive and have a visit with the new Vet.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Every state has their own rules and regulations for bringing an animal into the state. Most states do not have the people or money to enforce them so they are book regulations. The most common requirement is that the animal have a health certificate and updated shots. Odds are you will not be stopped or questioned by anyone, but it can happen. Look at the regulations for brining an animal into or through each state you will travel. Most likely they will all be the same minimum of health certificate and updated shots. If you have that already, heck with the worrying over nothing.

Now if you were going to Hawaii, well that is a state with inspections and testing you can't get around!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
We take our dog all over the country in our RV and carry a copy of her medical records which include all up to date vaccinations. I don't believe your need to have your cat re-vaccinated.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
This isn't the first thread I've seen on this subject.

Where on earth to people get the idea that they're going to be inspected for their pets paperwork? Have we become so afraid of our government that having a cop say, "Let me see your papers" is now expected?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Where on earth to people get the idea that they're going to be inspected for their pets paperwork? Have we become so afraid of our government that having a cop say, "Let me see your papers" is now expected?
cause many states do have regulations for bringing a pet into the state. You may never get stopped or asked, but it can and does happen from time to time. It is always better to know you may need a health certificate or a rabies shot paperwork and have it but never use it instead of being that person who does get stopped and asked but don't have it.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:29 PM

98 posts, read 542,504 times
squidoo.com had some good advice:

NEVER vaccinate within a week of travel.
Your animal may experience a life-threatening shot reaction and may die without immediate medical assistance.

Keep copies of your vaccination records and titer tests in your cars. Keep license tags on your dog's collar or harness. You don't want to have to revaccinate should you need to board your pet unexpectedly or should she bite someone.

Prudent advice considering your pet will likely encounter strange animals (and people) at rest stops.

They also note:
  • The rabies vaccine is the ONLY shot required by law for dogs and cats in the United States. This is primarily to protect humans from getting rabies from their pets.
  • The Center for Disease Control declared in 2007 that canine rabies no longer exists in the United States. Your dog will not contract rabies from another dog, but only from wild animals such as bats, coyotes, skunks, raccoons and foxes. Click here (http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/2007/r070907.htm - broken link) to read the CDC press release.
The site has some interesting info on the dangers of the vaccine on cats (may cause cancer!), some scary stuff.

I guess the best advice is to have your vet records with you, and if the rabies shot is more than 1 year old you should include a note from your vet verifying that the shot is good for more than 1 year. If your traumatized cat so much as scratches a stranger you could get stuck being forced to give them an unneeded and potentially dangerous shot!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

If someone is coming up to Alaska and they are driving through Canada, not only will the Canadian Border request the paperwork, but so will the agents at the Alaska Border.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,180 times
I moved across the country 6 months ago and this issue had me concerned, but really how will anyone know? I took my pets to the vet and got a letter saying they were up to date and ok. In the end, not even the hotels I stayed in asked a question. Of course, I realize it is different crossing a border or going to Alaska or Hawaii.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:42 PM

drive along the interstate and pulled into the first rest stop after you enter a state. Every now and again you will see people walking their dogs or giving their pet a breather. Along comes a person usually in uniform who stops and starts talking to them. You may see the travler go back to their car and get some papers and the uniform person looks at it and all is good and they go over to another person doing the same thing. That is the inspectors.

There are so many entry points into a state and with so many duties of these inspectors, checking paperwork of pets coming into the state is probably low on the list. But that does no mean it does not happen. You may travel back and forth hundreds of times and nothing happens and you may know thousands of people who travel and nothing happens. The only person who needs to worry is the person who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and without the proper paperwork. Everyone else has nothing to worry about. I don't know when is the time or place so its a gamble I dont take because if I am the one who is stopped, who suffers, the pet!

I don't know a single Ag Inspector on the state or federal or even city level who is required to accept you not having the right paperwork because some stranger on CD said its Ok not to have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues