Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 PM

404 posts, read 710,855 times

Advertisements

Have a moving sale and leave with just the clothes on your back. O.K, 2 sets of clothes. You'll need something clean for the job interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 11:29 AM

309 posts, read 1,210,310 times
Smile Abf

Greetings,
Did you go to there web site and read all the customers who was posting all there troubles using ABF.. hubby use to be a long haul truck driver.. he knew to check the web site. I wouldn't of known to. Just letting people know they can do this..

Just checking everything out, before making decisions...

GLad to hear things went well for you....

Old 07-19-2007, 01:56 PM

38 posts, read 830,562 times
Lionandlamb, I would recommend everyone to read the comments posted b/c you certainly don't want to make a bad choice when it comes to your personal belongings. I know of two other couples who also used ABF and they were pleased with their services as well. It's unfortunate those customers did not get the same quality service as my associates and I rec'd.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 26,562 times
Go get your car, van, truck, or SUV frame hitched then rent a Uhaul trailer and tow it yourself. Ultimately, there is no cheaper way to move. Hitching and the rented trailer are tax deductible, and you still have the hitch if you need to move again or you just want to tow a rental pop-up to go camping. I know towing is a pain. I did it from MI to CO and CO back to MI again with a Ford Contour towing a 5'x8' Uhaul but it can be done. Having someone else move you will always cost more. Grin and bear it. Do the move yourself.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:36 AM

71 posts, read 510,821 times
I don't get the whole attraction to ABF and/or PODS. If you were considering moving yourself, they would be competitive choices. If you are considering getting a mover, they are not even in the same arena. They aren't movers. ABF's website calls themselves a moving company. Just to be clear, ABF and PODS don't offer moving services. ABF is a freight shipping company that just supplies the trailer and drives it for you. PODS is very similar. It is a fair to say they are another option for those who would rent a truck yourself and drive it interstate. For anyone who is able-bodied and can move themselves, this is an alternative.

For those who can not either pack and/or move themselves, this is not an option. Families and/or individuals who would be overwhelmed by attempting such a process shouldn't even consider ABF U-Pack or PODS. They are not movers.

Another disadvantage is that because they are not movers, neither of them are regulated by the DOT in relation to issues or claims to the customers. They don't provide a "rights and responsibilities" booklet or offer assistance with other relocation services that a reputable mover might be able to provide.

Before I get innudated with responses that "ABF is great", I know they are probably very good at what they provide and I'm not knocking their services.....they just don't provide moving services and are not considered movers. It is comparing apples to dumptrucks.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:39 PM

814 posts, read 2,306,401 times
sell everything before you go. put it on craigslist, newspaper, have a yard sale. then drive as long as you can, sleep at rest stops. pack a lunch.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:39 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Our son-in-law had a good way to move. I can't say about the cost because he's military and they paid for the move, but they moved out of their rented house and in with his aunt the last month of his time at that base. The moving company brought all their belongings here to a storage unit he had rented. Now that they are here, they can take their time moving things in the house they bought a couple months ago when they were here. That way they didn't have to hurry to empty the box.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:24 AM

231 posts, read 626,549 times
Default Ups?

Like everyone else as suggestion I too looked into Pods & ABF. I know theres a lot of miles between orlando and buffalo but I think $1212 is a little expensive just to move 1 bedroom's worth of crap. Look into UPS. If you don't have furniture to move it might actually be cheaper to send the stuff to your new place via ups ground. I'm thinking about doing that though I'd be worried that it'll get there before I do and just sit on my doorstep.... And of course I'd have to buy a new bed once I got there. I'm in the same boat as you are. I can't believe its going to cost me over a thousand bucks just to move my crap up the coast!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:56 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
When I did this sort of thing last, I rented a U-Haul truck and a car dolly, pulled the car behind the truck. This works particularly well for front-wheel-drive, smaller cars.

You can pack some stuff in the car, although you want to be careful about what shows through the windows.

You need to unlock the steering as well, on VW cars anyway you can put the ignition key in and turn to "run" (no need to start the car) and then turn back off, it stays unlocked.

Obviously, take precautions about the car having the keys in the ign.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:06 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,241 times
Freight shipping by Amtrak is fairly cheap. But, they will not accept any plastic containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues